"New" One Life to Live starts to take shape

jbrr1212
Elite Members

September 6th, 2011, 7:31 pm #1

One Life to Live's Michael Easton, Ted King, Kassie DePaiva and cast's doyen Erika Slezak have become the first actors to sign deals with Prospect Park, the company which in June acquired the rights to continue to produce soon-to-be-cancelled ABC daytime dramas One Life To Live and All My Children online. Prospect Park just announcement the pacts with the four actors. (See statement below)

Meanwhile, I hear that, after a two-week deliberation, All My Children star Susan Lucci has turned down Prospect Park’s offer to stay on the show. The offer was for a salary identical to what Lucci currently makes at ABC but I’ve learned that she tried to gouge the producers for more money while also asking to work fewer hours and get a commitment for a primetime series. In light of that development, I hear that Prospect Park may reevaluate its short-term strategy for the two soaps and put its muscle behind the higher-rated OLTL, while moving AMC to the back burner. Prospect Park’s original plan was
Last edited by jbrr1212 on September 6th, 2011, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

September 6th, 2011, 11:43 pm #2

The board was acting super screwy when i tried to post before and it didnt come out right and wouldnt let me edit so lets try again....

One Life to Live's Michael Easton, Ted King, Kassie DePaiva and cast's doyen Erika Slezak have become the first actors to sign deals with Prospect Park, the company which in June acquired the rights to continue to produce soon-to-be-cancelled ABC daytime dramas One Life To Live and All My Children online. Prospect Park just announcement the pacts with the four actors. (See statement below)

Meanwhile, I hear that, after a two-week deliberation, All My Children star Susan Lucci has turned down Prospect Park’s offer to stay on the show. The offer was for a salary identical to what Lucci currently makes at ABC but I’ve learned that she tried to gouge the producers for more money while also asking to work fewer hours and get a commitment for a primetime series. In light of that development, I hear that Prospect Park may reevaluate its short-term strategy for the two soaps and put its muscle behind the higher-rated OLTL, while moving AMC to the back burner. Prospect Park’s original plan was to re-launch both OLTL and AMC online in the first quarter of 2012. Lucci made headlines over the weekend with a leaked new epilogue to her book All My Life, in which she blasts ABC Daytime president Brian Frons over the series’ cancellation.

On OLTL, Ted King plays Tomas Delgado, Michael Easton portrays John McBain, DePaiva plays Blair Cramer and Erika Slezak plays the matriarch of the Lord family Victoria Lord. Slezak has been on the show since 1971 and has won six Daytime Emmy awards for the role, an Emmy record. Here is Prospect Park’s statement on the quartet’s new deals:

Pending a final agreement with AFTRA, Prospect Park has confirmed that One Life to Live cast members Ted King (Tomas Delgado), Michael Easton (John McBain), Kassie DePaiva (Blair Cramer) and star of stars Erika Slezak who plays Lord family matriarch Victoria Lord, have agreed to deals to join the company’s new production of One Life to Live. This marks the first confirmation of cast members since Prospect Park began planning for the soap production to live on the new online network beyond its finale January televised date on ABC.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/four-ac ... amc-offer/

jbrr1212
Elite Members

September 17th, 2011, 10:23 pm #3

Frank Valentini to remain as executive producer and become Prospect Park VP of serial dramas

After recently signing four of “One Life to Live’s” most prominent cast members, including long-time veteran Erika Slezak (Viki) to continue with the show when it moves to online-only distribution early next year, Prospect Park takes the next step in their commitment to make for a smooth transition for the show. According to Deadline Hollywood, the production company has hired “One Life” Executive Producer Frank Valentini to remain in his current post with the show, along with becoming Vice President of Serial Dramas.

“Frank’s successful track record both creatively and producorially with ‘One Life to Live’ has been stellar and we are honored that he has also agreed to take on more responsibilities at our new network,” states Prospect Park executives Jeff Kwatinetz and Rich Frank, whom Valentini will work closely with in his VP capacity to help relauch “OLTL” and sister soap “All My Children” with the company after each leaves ABC.

Serving as “One Life” Executive Producer since 2006, Valentini is known for running a tight ship and helping keep the show regularly under budget. He has also served as producer, director, stage manager, and music composer for the soap. And in 2010 he directed ABC.com’s “What If…” series, where characters from “All My Children,” “One Life to Live,” and “General Hospital” met one another in a series of short webisodes.

Valentini expressed his excitement in remaining with the show, saying “I am thrilled to join the Prospect Park team continuing my role as the Executive Producer of ‘One Life to Live.’ As we enter this new chapter, I must extend a very big, heartfelt thank you to the show’s creator Agnes Nixon who has always been generous with her support of our vision of her creation, ABC for affording me an incomparable experience for the past 26 years at ‘One Life to Live’ and the fans with their unwavering passion determined not to let their shows go away. The cast and crew is my family and I am very proud to have this opportunity to continue working with this talented and dedicated team. And finally, I must extend a huge thanks to Rich Frank and Jeff Kwatinetz of Prospect Park whose pioneering innovation is giving us more life to live.”

With Valentini staying on with “OLTL,” fans may be wondering where this leaves the show’s current Head Writer Ron Carlvati. After it was announced earlier this year that he would be joining the writing staff of “General Hospital” after “OLTL” finishes its network run, and ABC spokesperson would only tell Soap Opera Network last month that plans for Carlivati’s move to “GH” are still in place “as far as [they] know.” You may recall it was announced in September 2010 that both Valentini and Carlivati had been signed to new long-term contracts with ABC for two and three years, respectively.

After wrapping production on its television run in November, “One Life to Live” is scheduled to broadcast its final episode on ABC on Friday, January 13, 2012.

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/news/fr ... fe-to-live

There are also serious rumors that JvD and Melissa Archer have also both signed on to continue with the show but I cant find the confirmation on that yet.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

October 1st, 2011, 10:22 pm #4

OLTL 2.0 is looking better and better....

Ron Carlivati passing on GH to remain with the PP version of OLTL--

http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2 ... fe-to-live

Remember a few days ago when I told you I was hearing Ron Carlivati was thisclose to inking a pact to stay with One Life to Live? Looks like it's a done deal, pending WGA approval! Good to know the current best showrunner/head writer team in daytime, Frank Valentini and Carlivati, will still be making magic happen in Llanview for Prospect Park!

Also more cast members sign on--

In other Prospect Park/One Life news, Melissa Archer (Natalie), Kelley Missal (Danielle), Andrew Trischitta (Jack) and Jerry VerDorn (Clint), have all signed on, pending an AFTRA deal!

As previously reported, Erika Slezak (Viki) Kassie DePaiva (Blair), Michael Easton (John) and Ted King (Tomas) all are onboard.

Additionally, Soap Opera Network recently broke the news that Sean Ringgold (Shaun) would be staying put.

Not thrilled about Andrew Trischitta but I'm super happy about the rest. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Archer I think shes needed on canvas especially if the rumors of Williamsons departure are true.

bilki
Site Admin

November 24th, 2011, 4:41 am #5

'One Life to Life' and 'All My Children' dead: Online plans canceled

Sorry, soap fans: The painful economics of running daytime dramas on the internet have made it impossible to keep the shows alive after they’ve been yanked off of broadcast TV. Prospect Park announced today that its hope to move One Life to Life and All My Children to a planned Online Network in 2012 has been shuttered, dashing any hope of keeping Llanview and Pine Valley fans satiated.

The media and production company founded in 2009 by Jeffrey Kwatinetz and former Disney Studios head Rich Frank was unable to reach guild deals to make the soaps’ run on the internet a reality. Arrangements with the unions were necessary if Prospect Park wanted to also sell the soaps to cable, but it’s economically unfeasible to pay guild wages for an internet show that would generate a fraction of the revenue it once did on ABC.

As it was, Prospect Park was already having a dilly of a time closing deals with the AMC actors (hey, Susan Lucci!), so it had to delay the show’s planned return in January: Only Cameron Mathison (Ryan Lavery) and Lindsay Hartley (Dr. Cara Castillo Martin) had agreed to continue after it ended its ABC run in September. In contrast, OLTL’s Erika Slezak (Victoria Lord), along with Ted King (Tomas Delgado), Michael Easton (John McBain) and Kassie DePaiva (Blair Cramer), among others, has closed deals to stay in the fictitious town of Llanview after it sunsetted on ABC this January.

The company released this statement: “After five months of negotiations with various guilds, hundreds of presentations to potential financial and technology partners, and a hope that we could pioneer a new network for the future, it is with great disappointment that we are suspending our aspirations to revive One Life to Live and All My Children via online distribution. It is now becoming clear that mounting issues make our ability to meet our deadlines to get OLTL on the air in a reasonable time period following its Jan. 13, 2012 ABC finale impossible.

insidetv.ew.com

jbrr1212
Elite Members

November 24th, 2011, 5:48 am #6

Sad but not surprising. Its been headed downhill for awhile. I had a little hope they might somehow pull it off but I guess not.

RIP OLTL
RIP AMC

Sucks for the AMC fans who didnt get a real finale. I guess OLTL probably wont really have one either since they waited til after taping wrapped to announce this.

Down to 4... :(