Movies

Krystal
Site Admin

December 22nd, 2009, 9:03 pm #1

I wish we'd discuss movies here. I mostly rent and have not been to the theater for years, but tempted to see AVATAR. Anyone see it yet?

We just rented Star Trek and I loved it. It was not great but i loved the way they wrote the young characters close to the history of the old ones. (Unlike GL, who did not consider history) This made it for me. Re the actors,I loved all of them but loved the Kirk one the least, which is funny as Shatner was my least fave on the old show.
Last edited by Krystal on December 26th, 2009, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

December 22nd, 2009, 10:49 pm #2

My hubby is desperate to see Avatar, 3D in IMAX, but it's fully booked here :(

The films I've seen in cinema this year:

Revolutionary road - Kate Winslet and Leonardo di Caprio - loved it, but I'll need a year or two before buying it and watching again
The Reader - Kate again, the same about the DVD.

Both beautiful films, but so depressing. Amazing performances. I really recommend these two to anyone who likes, well anything. It's a must see.

He's just not that into you - a great comedy for women from people behind the Sex and the City (now I'm not sure if they only wrote the book or did both the book and the film), I bought the book, too. FUnny and so true though I would recommend it for single women, it doesn't apply on the married ones, but the reading is still nice.

Harry Potter - not the best in the series for me, I read all the books but I felt lost and the moving scenes I remembered most from the book disappointed me in the film :(

More later.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

lexilou
Elite Members

December 22nd, 2009, 11:55 pm #3

Just saw Harry Potter, but wasn't crazy about it. I don't know why, since I love the series.

Wanting to see New Moon, but will wait for dvd. Sigh. DH doesn't want to sit in a theater of teenage girls.

Not interested in Avatar, simply because I'm not into scifi. Heard the effects were awesome, storyline not so much.

Dh wants to see Sherlock Holmes, looks interesting.

We don't go to the theater often so most of what we see is OnDemand and since they just closed our video store, I think we will try Netflix. I'm anxious to see Inglorious Bastards, mostly because of Brad Pitt. Has anyone seen this?

Krystal
Site Admin

December 23rd, 2009, 12:18 am #4

I have Blockbuster online and Inglorious is on the way. Just watched Public Enemies last night and liked it too, though it was a bit long. Could have used some editing I thought. I almost always love Depp.

I love Sci Fi but good Sci Fi is hard to come by, plus I don't like Fantasy (go figure), so Potter and Lord of Rings etc leave me cold. With Avatar, I was sondering if i would consider it too fantasy like. The I Max would be an awsome way to see it for sure.

Cheryl
Elite Members

December 23rd, 2009, 3:57 am #5

It's funny, I love sci-fi but I also have no desire to see Avatar. I'm waiting for Sherlock Holmes with MY Robert Downey, Jr. to get released Christmas day. It looks fabulous!

Lexilou--I saw Inglorious Basterds at the theater. It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be but it had some pretty funny parts. And naturally, being a Quentin Tarantino movie, it had some fabulously gory moments.

I also want to see Nine. I love musicals when they're well done and hopefully this one will be terrific since it's directed by Rob Marshall. He did such a great job with Chicago.

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

tgir
Site Admin

December 23rd, 2009, 4:05 am #6

I see so few movies in the theater and not that many on DVD, either.

I DID see Prime Suspect, which I thought was really, really good. A bit long, perhaps, but good. Depp always impresses me by his ability to become completely different characters in each of his films.

Can't wait to see the new Sherlock Holmes although at least one of my sons is lobbying hard to get me to boycott what he considers will certainly be a terrible bastardization of Sherlock Holmes legend.

However, since it has MY (please get that one straight, Ms. Cheryl--he's mine) Robert Downey Jr. and MY Jude Law, I don't care if they are reading the telephone book. I'm going.

Oh, I just received a copy of District Nine which I purchased for my son for Christmas. Ha! Score: He ordered it for a friend for Christmas but his copy wasn't going to arrive until after XMas. Won't he be shocked to know that poor old mom got the goods! Plus, I really have wanted to see it but didn't get to it in the theatres.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 23rd, 2009, 4:58 am #7

I have District 9 on my list too. Speaking of movies to avoid, just watched Terminator Salvation and it was terrible.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 23rd, 2009, 5:23 am #8

Planning on seeing Avatar, Blindside, and Invictus during Christmas break.

Also looking forward to Holmes.
iii
iii
iii

shelle_cr
Site Admin

December 23rd, 2009, 12:04 pm #9

From what they have at our locel cinema now, I'd like to see Sherlock Holmes and New Moon, but surprisingly, the hubby doesn't want to see NM with me. As for now, he says it's because he hasn't seen Twilight. I'm expecting a DVD under the tree so he won't be able to use this excuse after tomorrow :)

Also, looking forward to Nine, but not yet in my cinema :(

I'm trying to think about other films I've seen this year and cannot remember them.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 23rd, 2009, 4:06 pm #10

I don't get to the movie too often but I do watch a lot of movies at home.

We recent saw Bruno and I have to say it's the worst movie ever made. Not sure what hubby was thinking when he wanted to see it but he also agrees with me on worst movie ever.

I recently Angels and Demons and thought it was amazing. Loved it!

Then there is the Christmas movies that are playing 24/7. We watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and just laughed at the whole thing. I must have seen it 20 times but I haven't watched it through in a while. Great fun.

~~~

Cheryl & tgir, I once again feel sorry for you 2 and your delusional view of the world. For the record and the billionth time, Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law & Johnny Depp are mine ... ALL MINE!!!
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.