Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 10th, 2010, 7:34 pm #91

Cheryl wrote:
nickischwinn wrote:I agree with whoever liked that RDJ was shirtless and pantless in Sherlock Holmes. I read that Brad Pitt has signed on to be in SH2.
RDJ, Jude Law, and Brad Pitt all in the next Sherlock movie. God is smiling on us!!! :applause:

Seriously, I think my new favorite couple is RDJ and Jude Law......they were great together!
Works for me! Can't wait to see it!
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 11th, 2010, 12:52 am #92

I don't mind BRad being in the mix either.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

tgir
Site Admin

January 11th, 2010, 5:27 pm #93

Somehow, my previous post disappeared. At least I think it did, so please excuse me if this is more or less a duplicate.

I saw two movies: It's Complicated with Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin. Normally, this is a film that I would have waited to see on DVD but I decided to see it in the theater because not enough films are being made for actors or audiences who are middle aged. I must say that I really enjoyed the film more than I anticipated, especially Alec Baldwin's performance. It was about regret and whether we can go back again. Fun and funny with a tinge of sad. I am sure it ended the 'right' way, but I had sort of, unexpectedly, hoped for a different ending. Great performances by the cast, with with John Krasinski as the son in law's bits almost stealing his scenes. Nicely written, well played. Baldwin tends towards excess but is more restrained than trailers would suggest. Not all that reigned in but not as over the top as you might expect. No high art, but I think very successful for what it sets out to accomplish.

I also saw Up in the Air. I think that Clooney was in every single scene, which was a good thing. His performance was...perfect. Supporting cast was great. Very good, dead on scene about how your expectations of love and life change as you move into your 30's and beyond, mostly between Clooney's love interest and protege, well played by Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick, respectively. I love Clooney and not just because he is so attractive and charming. Here, he plays once again, a character who succeeds mostly because of his personal charm and charisma, but with layers of intelligence and heart that you get the impression he has long ago forgotten he ever had. You get a glimpse of who Ryan must have been at one time, and who he allows himself to be, a tiny bit, at the end. I found this film to be extremely successful.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 11th, 2010, 7:30 pm #94

Tgir, I think I read your post on It's complicated. I would swear I did.

Thanks for the info, I'd like to see it, too.

As for my George - is it a drama, or comedy? I have no idea what is is about, I stopped reading reviews as I don't want to know anythign ahead.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

tgir
Site Admin

January 11th, 2010, 8:11 pm #95

wrote:As for my George - is it a drama, or comedy?
Yes.

It's a bit of both, really. Clooney's character plays a guy who fires people for a living. His corporation is hired to terminate the employment of people all over the country. There's a small crew of them, and one gets the impression that Clooney is the very best (of course). It's a rather soulless existence: endless flights from one place to another: the airport and planes are his world and he has gotten the navigation of this world down to an art and a science. He carefully avoids anything like a real connection: dodges his sister's calls re: another sister's wedding. Lives out of a very depressing hotel for people who travel for a living: he traveled something like 322 days in the year--and regretted the ones he didn't. You see him fire someone and you can see why he's so good at it. He is also starting a career as a motivational speaker: having your life down to one backpack--and then setting fire to the back pack (i.e. no baggage to get in the way). He meets/hooks up with a fellow traveler and surprisingly to him, finds himself wanting more after a time. Also, his company is about to make a major change: firing people by virtual connection. He is given the task of taking this technique's inventor under his wing to show her the ropes. They both learn something. Actually, he learns a lot and even goes to the wedding. He gets a surprise (something I figured out long before he did), kind of grows a heart/soul and actually helps a couple of people.

In the trailers, I wasn't at all sure I wanted to see it: seemed depressing. But it's not, really. It's more t houghtful than I have suggested or than trailers did.

Dax
Site Admin

January 11th, 2010, 8:22 pm #96

Really looking forward to Up in the Air.

'It's Complicated', eventually. I expect I'll enjoy it, but I'm not in a rush...

Krystal
Site Admin

January 11th, 2010, 9:36 pm #97

I know people who have seen both and enjoyed them a lot. I'll wait to rent but they are worth looking fwd to. I like all the actors in both films. Clooney to me is the sexiest man alive. I am thrilled that they actually made a movie about middle aged people in a romance too.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 11th, 2010, 9:53 pm #98

I think I need to see George on a big screen, which reminds me.

In Imax 3D, we got the Nespresso ad with him! I wanted to run and kiss the screen :)

lexilou
Elite Members

January 11th, 2010, 10:22 pm #99

I love George! Can't wait to see Up in the Air, but will wait for OnDemand.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 11th, 2010, 10:32 pm #100

Just trying to think of the sexiest men. I love Depp's acting but he doesn't get me going like Clooney. Don't find Pitt sexy at all but he is good too. Used to love Nick Cage but got over him.

Funny even though he is kinda fat now, Baldwin still has that thing about him. Interesting too that Strep is now 60 and Baldwin is only 52, bought time we had younger leading men than women!!!! However, Strep as aged way better than Baldwin.

Speaking of used to love but not so much, val Kilmer, wow did he go downhill!!!