shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 4th, 2010, 11:11 am #71

I've just bought us tickets for tonight
http://www.breakfastattiffanys.co.uk/home/

As it was via phone and not Internet, I was able to get the tickets for both of us and great seats :) Cannot wait.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Krystal
Site Admin

January 4th, 2010, 3:20 pm #72

I liked the dumb Ferrel movie that he did with Chris Kattan, Night at the Roxbury, because i loved that skit and the music.

We just rented something called The Ministers with harvey Kytell, I was quite good.

tgir
Site Admin

January 4th, 2010, 3:23 pm #73

RE: Will Ferrell. He's fine in some things. I actually enjoyed Elf and it has become part of our regular holiday rotation, although we didn't see it this year and I didn't miss it. My kids loved Anchorman and I watched it and laughed during the one time I saw it. Would not feel I was missing anything if I never saw it again. On the other hand, Stranger than Fiction was superb. I really, really like that one.

Generally speaking, I'm not over-fond of middle aged man-child comedies, no matter who is in the title role.

That said, I can appreciate Adam Sandler and Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison. I actually enjoyed The Wedding Singer. 50 First Dates---I would have liked it a bit better if I didn't cringe a bit at the paternalistic nature of the premise. That bothered me, but Sandler/Barrymnore are good together on screen and there is something sweet/charming/little bit insightful about a guy having to/wanting to make a woman fall in love with him all over again every day....We did like him as Opera Man on SNL.

I liked Spanglish ok. I think that Tea Leoni was very brave to play such an unappealing, unattractive character. Liked every other character much more than I liked Sandlers and didn't see why the other woman fell in love with him. Didn't see Punch Drunk Love, didn't see Reign Over Me although I've heard good things about both. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Re: Jim Carrey. Well, we liked The Mask, but not enough that it's one of those we just have to have/rent again.... I can appreciate his talent and some of his work, but he doesn't appeal much to me.

Which brings up to me this point: I've often felt that for many comics and comedic actors, especially the really over the top ones, there is an underlying anger and meanness in their talent and performance that just reads: asshole to me. I see this in Carrey, Sandler, Ferrell and others. Robin Williams--less so, but perhaps because I grew up with him and perhaps because I've always also seen a certain vulnerability in his performance that I think some others reach for, but never quite get (with a couple of exceptions in performances.)

I'd like to see more good roles for Williams. I will make an effort to see almost any film he's in. Not so with the others mentioned. Those need very appealing co-stars or the presence and insistence of one or more of my kids.
Last edited by tgir on January 4th, 2010, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

January 4th, 2010, 8:21 pm #74

I haven't seen Stranger Than Fiction yet. Or Reign Over Me.

Robin Williams recommendation - very little-seen movie called Final Cut. Really interesting little sci-fi gem. In a world where our entire lives are recorded (Truman Show-ish), after you die, your 'life story' is made into a little clip show... Williams is an editor.

Anger/meanness/asshole... I understand your point (and it's an extension of the From Great Pain Comes Great Comedy/Comedians stuff), but I don't agree Will Ferrell's persona or body of work belongs as an example...

tgir
Site Admin

January 4th, 2010, 9:02 pm #75

Ferrell does seem the least ass-holish, I agree. Maybe it's not there at all except in my own tiny little mind. I don't think it's universal among comics, certainly not the ass-hole part. The anger part I think is there for most comics I see, even if it's only anger at some universal absurdity that hurts other people. Sometimes anger is based upon an acute sensitivity to the wrongs of the world, not just the wrongs to the individual. To be a good comic, one must be very sensitive/perceptive of other people's/society's/the world's faults and foibles and to be truly great, of your own. Most people feel some anger over that, even if it's directed towards themselves.

I think you will love Stranger than Fiction.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 4th, 2010, 11:32 pm #76

Ok, I just ordered it as well as the Robin Williams one. Or should I say pput it in my list to be sent in the future...

Last edited by Krystal on January 5th, 2010, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 5th, 2010, 12:03 am #77

Stranger than fiction is amazing. I'd lvoe to see ti again, we gotta buy it one day. Great film. Enjoyed it a lot.

As for our theatre tonight - Anna Friel was amazing. Loved the whole play and all the actors. It was closer to the orgininal than Audrey's film. AF is really good and she and Joseph Cross made me cry more than once, excellent adaptation. Also, hubby didn't mind her being naked there :)

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Dax
Site Admin

January 5th, 2010, 2:57 am #78

Highly jealous of anybody that's seen Anna Friel naked.

I am sad now.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 5th, 2010, 11:14 am #79

Dax, my thoughts were with you at the moment.

tgir
Site Admin

January 6th, 2010, 6:00 am #80

Just saw my boys in Sherlock Holmes. Both gave stellar performances and Robert is stunning shirtless and pantless.

The film was good for what it was, and better if you didn't think of it as a Sherlock Holmes movie. I think it follows the current fashion of being far too in love with technology and cgi than I think is good for film making. But I'm an old fart, so what do I matter?

Saw previews for Ironman2. I am sure I will hate it.

Also saw a preview for a remake of Clash of the Titans with Liam Neeson (obviously still deep in mourning which is clouding his judgment) as Zeus. Hubby laughed out loud. Cackled, really, when he realized the preview was for a remake of the claymation classic.