shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2010, 9:33 pm #61

We've just finished watching Truman Show, I've never seen it before. I adore Jim Carrey in roles like this. The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind is def in my TOP 10 movies.

Back to Truman, it's so sad. Watching him struggling and the crew planning all the moves. Well done. It really got me thinking.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2010, 9:37 pm #62

shelle_cr wrote:We've just finished watching Truman Show, I've never seen it before. I adore Jim Carrey in roles like this. The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind is def in my TOP 10 movies.

Back to Truman, it's so sad. Watching him struggling and the crew planning all the moves. Well done. It really got me thinking.
Oh Shelle ITA. The Truman Show is one of my favorite movies. I just love Jim Carey. I just saw him on The Tonight Show and was once again blown away by how clever he is. I just wish he would do more stuff. :wub:

~~~

We saw The Hangover last night... the unrated version. It was good clean fun. LOL! I wasn't expecting to like it at all but once I saw Will from Alias was in it I knew I would love it and I did.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2010, 9:44 pm #63

I got carried away in the NYE topic :) but it fits here better.

I have to admit, I'm more of a "let's see this again" person as with new films, you never know what to expect. So I mostly buy what I've laready seen or starring Michelle Pfeiffer, Audrey Hepburn, Kate Winslet or Colin Firth.

But Truman was from my husband's collection. He always wants to see some anime which I don't most of the time. But he's counted that I have only seen three anime(s) so far and I have to see more.

Though I can recommend all of them - Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies (the best) and Kenshin. The one I didn't like that much was My neighbour Totor - it's for kids. Ha, it's four, not three.

As for the Grave of the Fireflies - from IMDB "Setsuko and Seita are brother and sister living in wartime Japan. After their mother is killed in an air raid they find a temporary home with relatives. Having quarreled with their aunt they leave the city and make their home in an abandoned shelter." The author says that they had to make it animated as they wouldn't be able to find actors to act it the way they needed and I totally agree. This is another must-see film, I would recommend to everyone.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Dax
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2010, 10:22 pm #64

Grave of the Fireflies... I haven't seen it, but just came across it in the book of 101 War Movies You Need To See Before You Die (Mom gave to Dad for Christmas... want to get the available Horror, Sci-Fi, and Gangster editions, too... great little books...).

The Truman Show is good.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a big favorite.
Man on the Moon, also good for those that don't REALLY like Jim Carrey, but...

I like him, but less than I used to.

I haven't seen Funny People yet (but want to)... but the Adam Sandler movie for people that don't like Adam Sandler is Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love. It's beautiful and funny and charming and awesome and a lot of other good words. And it's okay - really - if you don't like Adam Sandler.

I think Sandler's okay. Liked him well enough on SNL, have liked some of the movies (Billy Madison) and hated others (Big Daddy is terrible, terrible, terrible...).

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2010, 11:11 pm #65

Dax wrote:I think Sandler's okay. Liked him well enough on SNL, have liked some of the movies (Billy Madison) and hated others (Big Daddy is terrible, terrible, terrible...).
I loved him in The Wedding Singer & 50 First Dates. :wub:
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

lexilou
Elite Members

January 3rd, 2010, 11:19 pm #66

Ha! I have seen Big Daddy countless times, it's one of DH's favorites. I like Adam in the romantic comedies like 50 First Dates and The Wedding Singer. Zohan was stupid, imo, and I don't like movies like that one and there was a similar Ben Stiller movie that I thought was dumb too, even though I like Ben Stiller. DH got Adam Sandler's first movie to add to his collection and omg, what a stupid waste of film that one is. I have a love/hate relationship with his films.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 4th, 2010, 12:26 am #67

Stiller is another one who I don't like. Hated 50 first Dates, but then I hate romantic comedy. In a bizarre turn around, my husband will sometime put them on the rental list. I think he does it just to irritate me.

About the only comedians I like are Will Ferral and Chevy Chase. Still think the old vacation movies were a riot. Ferral has done some duds too, that Talledega (sp?) movie sucked. Some of Robin Williams work is OK but I prefer him in black humor or as a psycho.

Marg
Site Admin

January 4th, 2010, 12:44 am #68

I can't stand Jim Carrey...I am completely turned off any movie he is in.

Funny thing, he is from my home city, Toronto, Canada, and I know people who went to high school with him, and say very unfavourable things about him.

I don't mind Adam Sandler...haven't hated everything he has done, but don't think he is great either.

Cheryl
Elite Members

January 4th, 2010, 2:23 am #69

Krystal wrote:I don't like Sandler at all and most of the movies he stars in don't appeal to me either.

Big agree on the final dance number on Slumdog, loved it.
Krystal--Sandler's movies don't do a whole lot for me either but I have to say that Spanglish is one of my all time favorite movies. Definitely MY favorite Adam Sandler movie and Teo Leoni and Cloris Leachman are both great in it......you should check it out, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I tried to find that dance number from Slumdog on the net (you would think it would be all over the place but it's practically impossible to find). Anyway, in my travels I stumbled on this and it made me laugh....I had to watch it twice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7AuQKFlhXI

:lmfao: Now I want to learn that dance!

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Dax
Site Admin

January 4th, 2010, 6:46 am #70

>> I loved him in The Wedding Singer & 50 First Dates.

Those are good ones, yeah... he's fun with Drew.

>> Zohan was stupid, imo, and I don't like movies like that one and there was a similar Ben Stiller movie that I thought was dumb too, even though I like Ben Stiller.

Didn't see Zohan, but I do like Zoolander a lot.

>> DH got Adam Sandler's first movie to add to his collection and omg, what a stupid waste of film that one is.

Going Overboard? I didn't see it. I did see his second, Shakes The Clown, a Bobcat Goldthwait vehicle. Both pre-SNL.

I worked with a guy that knew Sandler pre-fame, and didn't like him much.

I like Will Ferrell. I liked Taladega Nights.

I keep meaning to see Spanglish, but haven't yet.

Robin Williams has done a lot of fine dramatic work, and been in some great comedies, of course, but his (and Carrey's) schtick sometimes makes me wanna say 'Just stop. Shut up. That's enough.'

Marg - did you see Eternal Sunshine? (please do, even if you hate Carrey)