Krystal
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2010, 8:12 pm #51

I won't see animal stories, they are always such tear jerkers. However I have to say if my animal were in that bad shape, I'd bring them home.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2010, 8:14 pm #52

Forgot to say, L ove viotlent human movies but I don't think I ever got over the trauma of seeing bambi's Mom get killed.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2010, 10:32 pm #53

Dax wrote:Easily fixed if he'd just started to go back inside. We don't have to SEE his visit with the dog, just know that he'd had one...
Yup that would have been perfect.

Krystal it was a major tear jerker. I went through lots of tissue and today I still have a lump in my throat anytime I pet my dogs.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2010, 11:14 pm #54

We watched Pride and Prejudice today - BBC series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle from 1995, the best Austen adaptation ever :)

In case I haven't claime him here yet - Colin is all MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE.

Btw Lucy from Studio 60 has a small role there as well.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Marg
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2010, 4:11 am #55

I saw "It's Complicated" on New Year's Eve. Really enjoyed it....Merryl Streep and Alec Baldwin are hilarious and their comedic timing is right on. There are also some serious moments about adjusting to divorce, kids, etc. I do recommend seeing it.

Cheryl
Elite Members

January 3rd, 2010, 4:41 am #56

shelle_cr wrote:We wanted to go to see Slumdog but the hype was killing it for me. Not sure about US, but here in the UK, I felt it was everywhere, couldn't escape it. But I got to like the music from it a lot.
Shelle--I won't delete off my dvr yet because of the music.....there is a fabulous song/dance at the very end that I just love.

We recorded "He's Just Not Into You" today and tried to watch it, but seriously, it was BAD. I finally put us both out of our misery (torture) and turned it off. Great cast but horrible movie!

Dax--I can see you enjoying Iron Man.......it was one of my favorite movies of the year. I know people who won't see it because it's a 'comic book movie' and they don't know what they're missing. Fun, entertaining movie! Have you seen the trailer for the second one yet? It looks awesome and Mickey Rourke looks to be a badass villain. Here 'tis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siQgD9qOhRs

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

tgir
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2010, 5:13 am #57

Big agree that the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice is the very, very best I've seen. And I think I've seen all of them.

Re: Marley and Me. I didn't think it lived up to the book, quite. I was only 'meh' re: casting. Not bad, but not my favorites. I actually thought the book worked when it focused on Marley, and less so as it focused more on the human characters. True of the book, too. I loved the book, but hubby got it for me the Christmas before our first dog died and we knew he would die...soon. So, tears started running as I opened the book and of course, during the entire thing because we all know how every dog book ends. So, I was a mess reading it and haven't actually gone back to re-read it. Hmmm. I think I lent it to someone and am not sure I got it back. Seriously need more bookshelves, devoted to my stuff for a change. But that's a different post.

I really liked Iron Man, mostly because it didn't take itself so seriously as say, Batman or Spiderman. And of course, my lover boy, RD Jr. just made the whole thing. However, like all comic based films, one must suspend a LOT of disbelief and not just re: rocket strapped on backs. But fun for the ride and I was thrilled to see that they set it up for a natural sequel. One thing: I would not recommend this film to anybody who has been in Afghanistan. My son hated it because so much of it was so unrealistic: re the actors portraying locals. All the wrong science/bad physics didn't bother him half so much, and he's a science/physics person, plus a total comic nerd.

Dax
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2010, 8:16 am #58

My parents watched Marley & Me tonight (she'd seen it already, he hadn't). And somebody else I know has rented it to watch tomorrow... odd that I've talked about it so much lately...

Iron Man was a lot of fun - Downey's great, very funny. I'm okay with all the impossible science, but was still kinda thrown by how Bridges (hilariously 'stuck' and yelling at his scientists about how he didn't wanna hear about his requests being impossible because Stark did it) pulled his supersuit off SO quickly...

Also was kinda hung up on Tony's heart thing for a little bit. His fellow captive/savior/doctor put it together, seemingly with some Stark technology, but he wasn't a Stark guy - they were strangers, before... so how'd he do that?... and then how did Tony know how to improve on the design of the thing implanted in his chest?...

I don't think Spider-Man takes himself (or they take the movies) too seriously...
Last edited by Dax on January 3rd, 2010, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

lexilou
Elite Members

January 3rd, 2010, 2:48 pm #59

We watched Funny People with Adam Sandler last night. DH loves him, I can take or leave. We felt kinda disappointed with the movie, but the big turn off for me was hearing the "F" word every other word it seemed. I expected a funny movie from Adam, but this wasn't. It was funny in parts, but not a light, funny movie, imo. Plus I got tired of hearing them talk about uh, male anatomy, so often.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2010, 5:51 pm #60

I don't like Sandler at all and most of the movies he stars in don't appeal to me either.

Big agree on the final dance number on Slumdog, loved it.