tgir
Site Admin

December 31st, 2010, 2:38 pm #361

Cheryl, back in the day, I was upset over the death, too.

blosslover
Site Admin

December 31st, 2010, 9:01 pm #362

Saw Salt and The Other Guys on DVD this week. Saw Gulliver's Travels in 3D at the movies.

Salt was entertaining for the soap star sightings. Very much an action flick wasn't great cinema.

The Other Guys was funny in a weird way. Not something to take seriously.

Guillver's Travels, okay but better to wait for it on DVD...

lexilou
Elite Members

January 1st, 2011, 3:43 pm #363

We saw Gulliver's Travels last night. It is what you'd expect from a Jack Black movie. The kids liked it, I wish we'd have seen Harry Potter again.

Christmas Eve we saw Narnia which we all liked. DH didn't think he would. I wish I would have seen the other movies first, or at least read the books though I was told that the movies kind of mush the books together. They don't match book to movie like Harry Potter. The movies are on my Netflix list and I'll read the books shortly so we'll see.

Vampires Suck is also on my Netflix list, coming Monday perhaps. Anxious to see it.
Last edited by lexilou on January 2nd, 2011, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marg
Site Admin

January 1st, 2011, 7:46 pm #364

Over the holidays I saw 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' -- thought it was excellent and very true to the book. I am now anxious to see the next two (although, I haven't read those books, as yet)

Last night we saw 'Fracture' with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling -- thought it was a good drama and the acting was good. Also watched 'Inception' -- I need someone to explain that one to me. While, I thought the acting was excellent, it was far too long and the plot too complicated. Overall, it isn't really my type of movie!!

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 1st, 2011, 8:44 pm #365

lexilou wrote:Christmas Eve we saw Narnia which we all liked. DH didn't think he would. I wish I would have seen the other movies first, or at least read the books though I was told that the movies kind of mush the books together. They don't match book to movie like Harry Potter. The movies are on my Netflix list and I'll read the books shortly so we'll see.
Lexi, I've read and taught the Narnia books many times. I'm a huge CS Lewis fan. Movies one and two were actually very faithful to the books, with only minor plotting changes due to 'movie needs.'

Dawn Treader is my 2nd fave, after The Silver Chair...which is my all-time fave, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it. We were supposed to go this week, but family crises (yes, more than one) and bathroom remodeling craziness has moved this to next week. Also the fact that I wanted to hear if people liked the 3-D or if I should just see 2-D version. Your thoughts? (I HATE the fake glasses since I wear glasses already, and the only movie I've seen with 3-D sucked.)
Last edited by KMInfinity on January 2nd, 2011, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

lexilou
Elite Members

January 1st, 2011, 11:18 pm #366

So, the DT is the third book? I thought it was the fifth, and the third movie. That was the impression I got from my friend, though we didn't have much time to discuss it since we were in the bathroom at the theatre. Either way, I'll get the books and see the other two movies, my curiousity has been piqued and I am glad to hear the movies are true to the books.

We saw it in 2d so I can't answer your question. I don't really like 3d so I try to avoid those movies which seems to be harder to do. I am quite concerned since I saw Harry Potter book 7, part 1 in Imax and am hearing part 2 will be released in 3d Imax. I don't want to see it in 3d Imax, but after seeing part 1 in Imax I don't want to see part 2 on a regular movie screen.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 1st, 2011, 11:27 pm #367

Marg, I did not like Inception either. Also thought it was too long and confusing. Too many special effects, just not for me.

Salt is on my list.

Cheryl
Elite Members

January 2nd, 2011, 4:14 am #368

Oh man......talk about clunkers. We watched 17 Again with Zac Efron and Matthew Perry. HAWW-RIBLE! As if I thought it wouldn't be. But I ran out of movies to watch and was desperate! I don't get the big deal about Zac Efron. He's cute but he's not all that. And please, we're expected to believe that Matthew Perry looked like ZE when he was 17? As if! :no:

Last night on a whim I recorded a Pink concert she did in Australia from her Funhouse tour and I have to say that the entire thing was AMAZING. This is the tour where she does the whole Cirque du Soleil thing and sings while twirling in the air upside down. It was a REALLY good concert, wish I could have seen that live. Even the songs I didn't know were entertaining. I'll never forget watching her do this performance live at the Grammys last year. It still gives me goosebumps it's so beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3stsDXki__U

We never made it to Black Swan and now my vacation is over. Damn, that went fast!

P.S. It's official. I have NO desire to see Inception. Ever. Haha!
Last edited by Cheryl on January 2nd, 2011, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2011, 6:45 am #369

lexilou wrote:So, the DT is the third book? I thought it was the fifth, and the third movie.
The confusion: Narnia time flows differently from our time...

Order the Chronicles of Narnia were written:

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
The four Pevensie children - Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy - enter Narnia.

2. Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (1951)
The four Pevensie children return to Narnia centuries later to help Caspian the 10th gain the throne.

3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
The two younger Pevensie children - Edmund and Lucy, with their bratty cousin Eustace - return 3 years later & take a sea voyage from Narnia to the sweet sea...

4. The Silver Chair (1953)
Eustace, and a schoolmate named Jill, return to Narnia 5 years later on a quest to rescue Caspian's son Rilian. Best character ever----Puddleglum!

5. The Horse and His Boy (1954)
Time wonkiness----the events of this book take place DURING the time of the first book....

6. The Magician's Nephew (1955)
The prequel - children Digory (the professor of LWW) and Polly - witness Narnia's creation. In "our" time, this is Edwardian London, before LLW during WWII.

7. The Last Battle (1956)
300(?) years after SC, Eustace and Jill come to the aid of King Tirian.

A new publishing order, very controversial at the time, numbered them chronologically according to Narnian events:

6. The Magician's Nephew (1955)
1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950)
5. The Horse and His Boy (1954)
2. Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (1951
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
4. The Silver Chair (1953)
7. The Last Battle (1956)

I hope DT does well. There is some uncertainty SC will be made. :no:
Last edited by KMInfinity on January 2nd, 2011, 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

blosslover
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2011, 2:43 pm #370

17 Again was cheese, so I watched it that way. :) I find it interesting how people didn't like Inception, while I enjoyed it I do think it seemed LONG.