Dax
Site Admin

December 29th, 2010, 5:43 am #351

Yup, a second Sherlock is coming. Playing Moriarty -- Jared Harris (Lane Pryce on Mad Men) - perfect.
Last edited by Dax on December 29th, 2010, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 30th, 2010, 5:16 am #352

The Town, now I thought that it was really good. Plenty of action but good story too, and the action did not have to be computer generated even. And I am not even a big Affleck fan. Enjoyed seeing Hamm though!

Cheryl
Elite Members

December 30th, 2010, 5:40 am #353

Dax wrote:Yup, a second Sherlock is coming. Playing Moriarty -- Jared Harris (Lane Pryce on Mad Men) - perfect.
Get outta town! He'll definitely make for a creepy villain. Can't wait for the new Sherlock Holmes!

We finally saw True Grit today. Hubby and I both LOVED the little girl who played Mattie in the film. She's an unknown but really good. I was a bit leery about Jeff Bridges taking on such an iconic role as Rooster Cogburn but was pleasantly surprised. He was fabulous. Matt Damon was okay. The writing for his character wasn't as good as it could (should) have been. I was prepared to love him and be so-so with JB but it was just the opposite. They majorly changed the ending and I can't figure out why, I don't think it made the story better. Everything else was almost exactly the same (I've seen the original more times than I can count!) so I just don't get why they did that. I DID cry at the end, just not for the same reason as I did for the original!

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

tgir
Site Admin

December 30th, 2010, 6:09 am #354

I just saw the new True Grit tonight. It was a good film, more faithful adaptation of the novel than the original. That is the change you are talking about, Cheryl. In the book, Mattie loses her arm, and doesn't see either LaBoef or Rooster again, but she does bring Rooster's body back to be buried in her family plot.

I think that Jeff Bridges disappeared into his character, and Damon into his, far more successfully than either Wayne or Campbell (who wasn't much of an actor). The Coen brothers' adaptation is far grittier, and seems more realistic rather than the romanticized version from 1969 with Wayne, etc.

The girl who plays Mattie Hailee Steinfeld, is excellent: spot on as Mattie. Far superior to Kim Darby's portrayal. When the movie came out, I was about 13 and Kim Darby seemed far too old for the role but there were very few 'serious' roles given to younger actors in those days. If she does as well in future roles, she'll have a bright future.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 30th, 2010, 11:45 am #355

I thought the Town was good... not great but good.

I saw The Book of Eli last night on HBO and loved it. Now that was a great movie. I just love Denzel Washington & Mila Kunis.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Cheryl
Elite Members

December 30th, 2010, 10:23 pm #356

Gatekeeper wrote:I thought the Town was good... not great but good.

I saw The Book of Eli last night on HBO and loved it. Now that was a great movie. I just love Denzel Washington & Mila Kunis.
I thought Ben A. was SMOKIN' hot in The Town. That may or may not have colored my thinking in regards to this movie. :bunny:

So The Book of Eli is good? I need to record it then before the holidays are over! I've seen it playing and had no interest in recording it, probably because I have no idea what it's about.

Tgir--the changes I'm talking about mostly involve the death of one of the characters in the first movie. I thought it made it more powerful. Even though I didn't want that person to die! I totally agree about the new girl being totally superior to Kim Darby. No comparison!

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 30th, 2010, 10:38 pm #357

Gate I enjoyed the Book of Eli too.

My class watch Glory as part of our Civil War unit and, as usual, I raved about Washington. Then a couple students had to tell me all about how awful Book of Eli was, and it was clear from their comments I'd like it. lolol
iii
iii
iii

Krystal
Site Admin

December 30th, 2010, 10:39 pm #358

I liked Town, I have seen better, but liked it a lot compared to some lately. Eli was very good. Most of Denzel's movies are good, just a few clunkers.

Speaking of clunkers, Toxic Skies was so bad we turned it off after 20 minutes.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 30th, 2010, 11:54 pm #359

Cheryl wrote:So The Book of Eli is good? I need to record it then before the holidays are over! I've seen it playing and had no interest in recording it, probably because I have no idea what it's about.
Cheryl, think of Book of Eli as Mad Max with a very mild religious overtone and a great ending.
Last edited by Gatekeeper on December 30th, 2010, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 31st, 2010, 12:47 pm #360

We saw 'I love you Man' on HBO OnDemand. It was just OK.