Krystal
Site Admin

December 27th, 2010, 3:44 pm #341

I was disappointed with It's Complicated as well. I don't usually like Westerns either, but certain ones are great. I loved Deadwood for instance.

Black Swan would be on my list for sure.

We rented Wall Street last night. It was good, but I thought Douglas and Brolin really put the younger actors to shame. I think some children of actors just get jobs because of who they are, but Douglas has proved himself to be as good or better than Kirk.

Dax
Site Admin

December 27th, 2010, 4:44 pm #342

A distaste of/for westerns should easily be negated by this one being from the Coens.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 27th, 2010, 8:40 pm #343

Just got back from 'Black Swan'. It was really good. I don't want to say too much about it but if you are looking for a 'feel good' movie this is not it.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Cheryl
Elite Members

December 28th, 2010, 3:37 am #344

Gatekeeper wrote:Just got back from 'Black Swan'. It was really good. I don't want to say too much about it but if you are looking for a 'feel good' movie this is not it.
Good, glad to hear your thoughts. That definitely means True Grit is next on the list. I'm definitely in the mood for "feel good". True Grit wasn't your ordinary Western in my book. It was more about the relationships between those three people--the young girl, the wily, drunken ex-Sheriff, and the Texas Ranger all looking for the same bad guy for three different reasons. It made me laugh and it made me cry, I'm hoping the remake does the same.

I loved It's Complicated...thought Meryl Street, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin were simply sublime. I still laugh when I think about the pot scenes and the love scenes between Meryl and Alec. Oh my!

So tonight we watched The Town with Ben Affleck, Jeremy Renner (dude from The Hurt Locker), and Jon Hamm, (hottie whoredog from Mad Men). Excellent movie.....two thumbs up! Good story, a lot of suspense, a surprisingly touching romance. I found myself totally rooting for the bad guy (well, one of them at least) and against the good guy. Ben Affleck cowrote, directed, AND starred in this movie. Impressive! :clap:
Last edited by Cheryl on December 28th, 2010, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 28th, 2010, 1:03 pm #345

We may venture out this week to see 'True Grit'. I love the cast so I'm willing to suffer through a Western. ;)

Hubby bought 'The Town' yesterday and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Cheryl, the best part of 'It's Complicated' was the pot scene. LMAO!

Krystal
Site Admin

December 28th, 2010, 3:15 pm #346

The Town is close on our list so I hope it comes this week. I know I won't be going to the theater soon so these new movies will have to wait. However, I've heard there is a new type of theater that serves drinks and food in big comfy chairs (no kids allowed), we may try that.
Of course they have limited venues, but I think one is playing True Grit.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 28th, 2010, 3:24 pm #347

Krystal wrote: I've heard there is a new type of theater that serves drinks and food in big comfy chairs (no kids allowed), we may try that.
Now that is my kind of theater. I remember going to a theater like that 20 years ago. LOVED IT! Of course it is long gone. :(

blosslover
Site Admin

December 29th, 2010, 12:21 am #348

We have a theatre like that now in a multiplex. One movie a week (three or four showings a day) is over 21 and food/alcohol are available...

Krystal
Site Admin

December 29th, 2010, 12:40 am #349

Yep, this is new to the valley and it sounds good to me.

Cheryl
Elite Members

December 29th, 2010, 5:11 am #350

Gatekeeper wrote:
Krystal wrote: I've heard there is a new type of theater that serves drinks and food in big comfy chairs (no kids allowed), we may try that.
Now that is my kind of theater. I remember going to a theater like that 20 years ago. LOVED IT! Of course it is long gone. :(
We've got a theater like that down at Fort Myers Beach. I've been a couple of times but it's not as great as you would think. The waitress is always delivering food or drinks to people so even though it's stadium seating, it's still distracting. Kind of cool, though. It's very small and intimate. The first time I was there, Brian Littrell from the Backstreet Boys was there with his then girlfriend--now wife. That's about it for stars on our little beach! :P

So today we watched Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey and Jude Law for the second time. The first was in the theater. I must say that I liked it even better upon second viewing. Does anyone know if they're planning a sequel? They certainly set it up for one. I just love these two guys together, they are so funny!

I'm loving the holidays with all of our shows being off. It's great to finally get caught up on some movie watching. I think tomorrow is True Grit day.......I'll keep ya'll posted!!!

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!