tgir
Site Admin

December 25th, 2010, 2:22 am #321

My daughter also loved Black Swan. She especially liked Portman (and she's not a Natalie Portman fan) and Kunis. I haven't seen anything new since the last Harry Potter. We went as a group thing (hubby, me and all 4 adult kids).

Cheryl
Elite Members

December 25th, 2010, 5:31 am #322

Haha......Jim Carrey was hysterical as the Grinch!

We saw The Fighter today with Mark Wahlburg and Christian Bale. I liked it, hubby LOVED it. Christian Bale was amazing. Even though I don't much care for him anymore, I have to admit that he totally embodied that character (it's a true story and you see the real guy he's playing during the credits and it's uncanny how well he played him). I see some award nominations in his future for this role, for sure.

I LOVED True Grit as a child and it was one of the rare movies I actually saw at the theater with my parents. Have seen it over and over and over (i.e. many times!) since then. It's hard to believe that Robert Duvall was an unknown at that time (he played the villain). John Wayne was amazing, Kim Darby was great, and I even loved Glen Campbell. Hopefully I will get to see it next week since I am OFF work.....woo-hoo!!!

We started to watch Avatar tonight but hubby promptly fell asleep so will watch it later since I recorded it off of HBO or Showtime.

I love watching movies at Christmas!

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Dax
Site Admin

December 25th, 2010, 8:28 am #323

I did not like the Carrey/Howard Grinch movie. Great art direction and set design, and the portion that adapts the story we all know was... okay, but the other 2/3rds of the movie was not fun for me.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 25th, 2010, 3:11 pm #324

Since Bruce Willis was brought up awhile ago..... Just watched The Fifth Element (from '97) OnDemand and what a hoot. I don't know how I missed a comedy/action/SciFi thriller. I laughed out loud (in a warm hearted way) at some of the ridiculous site gags and roles. Reminded me of another great SciFi spoof - Galaxy Quest.

Avatar...wasn't all that. It was pretty good, but not the second coming of ET or Star Wars or anything. The story was a little too simplistic for my taste.

I loved Toy Story 3, maybe more than the original.

Watched Eclipse with niece. I thought the books sucked, but the movies are slightly better, since Bella doesn't come off as quite the virginal victorian damsel-in-distress. And Taylor Lautner is so very pretty.

Anyone seen Knight and Day? People told me it was very much better than the early buzz and critics said. Apparently the Tom Cruise name is actually a detriment nowadays. Poor Tom.
Last edited by KMInfinity on December 25th, 2010, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Krystal
Site Admin

December 25th, 2010, 5:37 pm #325

I did not think Avatar was all that either, in fact, I thought it was more of a kid's movie.

I don't like Carey in anything, period.

I think I'll rent that old Willis movie, I do recall liking it back then.

Black Swan is on my list to rent, I don't love portman either but it sure got great write-ups.

tgir
Site Admin

December 25th, 2010, 6:03 pm #326

Fifth Element is really good and Willis is great in it.

Carey was good in Mask and maybe something else. I just am not that big a fan of adolescent, over the top 'humor.'

Really want to see Toy Story 3 but haven't --yet.

Dax
Site Admin

December 25th, 2010, 6:33 pm #327

I liked most of The Fifth Element (Milla Jovavich... yum), but remember not liking Chris Tucker's stuff much...

I like Avatar. It's very pretty to look at. But would I have LOVED it if I were a lot younger? Probably...

Pretty good Jim Carrey - The Mask, Liar Liar, The Cable Guy. Best performance is Man on the Moon. The Truman Show is good, too, and The Majestic. Very best movie he's ever made - and likely ever will - was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

The second Ace Ventura movie is a go-to when having an All-Time Worst Movie discussion...

KMI mentioned Galaxy Quest. Love it.

Last edited by Dax on December 25th, 2010, 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 25th, 2010, 7:15 pm #328

Gotta rent this Galaxy Quest I guess.

I thought I recall Carey as a villan in something. That I didn't mind.

Best funny Christmas movie, Chevy Chase for sure.

Dax
Site Admin

December 25th, 2010, 7:26 pm #329

I do love Christmas Vacation, yes.

Carrey as a villain... Count Olaf in Lemony Snicket, Grinch, Riddler... scanning imdb, I don't see any 'serious' villain roles (or I didn't see the movie, anyway). But I did notice I earlier missed my absolute favorite of his movies (Eternal Sunshine), so I edited above...

Galaxy Quest is great fun... there's this cheesy 60s sci-fi show (think Star Trek), and... it's real. Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Enrico Colantoni, Justin Long...
Last edited by Dax on December 25th, 2010, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 25th, 2010, 9:26 pm #330

No the Carey movie I am thinking of was not animated or a comedy. It'll come to me sooner or later.

Re comedy in general, many I don't care for, but most of Chase's movies were a riot, as well as the original Home Alone. I also enjoyed Kingpin and Something About Mary.

I don't like DiNiro in comedy, hated the Focker movie, and the new one is supposed to be Godawful.