Krystal
Site Admin

December 7th, 2010, 8:10 pm #281

Thanks I will try some of these!

tgir
Site Admin

December 8th, 2010, 12:13 am #282

Note: Amy Tan often writes, in part, of a daughter's relationship with her mother (among other relationships) from the view point of a first generation American woman. Her writings focus mostly on female characters and their relationships with each other, and especially mother-daughter relationships. I find I really love her writings, but didn't enjoy her last book as much as others I have read. One I found to be extremely good was The Bonesetter's Daughter. I also have always loved Tan's use of language and her exploration of Chinese language and the barriers and connections that the differences between English and Chinese cause between American born daughters and Chinese mothers. I find I learn a lot about a particular aspect of pre-Revolutionary Chinese culture and the complexities and subtleties of the language. Which all made sense when I learned that Tan is a linguist first, and came to become a novelist later in life.

Thought I would mention the mother-daughter thing (written primarily from the daughter's point of view) because I know how you feel about your mother. I also had a difficult relationship with my mother and I won't lie: my daughter and I have had our moments and probably will again.

Marg
Site Admin

December 8th, 2010, 1:05 am #283

Well Margaret Atwood is not my favourite author. I have read many of her books ,unfortunately many of the members of the book club I attend do like her writing, so I feel forced to read them. I will say her earlier books were more interesting (such as "The Blind Assassin", "The Handmaid's Tale", "Oryx & Crake") than the later ones. She has become very moralistic and preachy the last number of years. Last year we read "Payback" , which IMO was written too early into the current global economic crisis and made some sweeping generalizations. After suffering through that, I have no desire to read "The Year of The Flood".

I have just finished reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and have yet to read the next two in the series. However, I agree Krystal, Lisbeth, is an interesting character who doesn't fit into the usual female stereotypes portrayed by men.

I dislike romantic novels/movies as well. Perhaps that is one reason, I never really got into many of the story lines on soap operas. Fragile, goody, goody women 'saving the big, bad man ' was never interesting, to me.
Last edited by Marg on December 8th, 2010, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

December 8th, 2010, 2:00 am #284

I am behind in my Atwood reading list, so I haven't made it to Payback or The Year of the Flood. I remember listening to an interview with Atwood when Payback was published; it was a presciently written and published book, coming out in late 2008, but of course written earlier. It's not a novel so in that it differs from many of her previous and better known works which are mostly novels and poetry. I believe "The Year of the Flood" is a companion piece to "Oryx and Crake" (which I did not enjoy as much as many of her other novels). Need to go back and re-visit that one so I can move on to "The Year of the Flood."

I also love 'The Penelopiad:' A New Look At Homer's Tale, which is wonderful--and very short. I used to teach The Iliad to 4th graders as part of an enrichment program, so this was particularly interesting to me. I also loved The Robber Bride very much, as did my daughter.

Other favorites from Atwood are The Handmaiden's Tale (I remember what a stir it caused when it was first published) and The Blind Assassin. I find each of her books very different from the others.
Last edited by tgir on December 8th, 2010, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 8th, 2010, 3:05 am #285

tgir...I heartily agree with all you said, especially abt Bastard out of Carolina. I'm not familiar with Tana French.

Adding to tgir's list...

"lit fic" - Barbara Kingsolver, my very fave...moreso than Tyler and Smiley and Tan et al

Sci Fi - Lois McMaster Bujold's Myles Vorkosigan series. Slam bang action by a women...just a dash of romance; her Sharing Knife series is sci-fi romance tho it's good...some original ideas....
iii
iii
iii

tgir
Site Admin

December 8th, 2010, 3:32 am #286

Tana French is (mostly) Irish and has written 3 mystery novels. Mystery novel is not usually my genre, but I enjoyed the two that I have read of hers: Into The Woods and The Likeness. I haven't had a chance to read Faithful Place yet. Books are somewhat related---the second focuses on a character introduced in the first; the third seems to focus on a different character from the previous ones. One common theme is being forced by circumstances to revisit traumatic events from your childhood. They are not cheerful books but are enjoyable to read.

I also like Kingsolver. I'll have to lookingot the Bujold books. I haven't picked up any new sci fi must reads in a while. I started on the Jim Butcher books but sort of turned that obsession over to my son.....

Krystal
Site Admin

December 8th, 2010, 5:01 am #287

I am writing down some of these suggestions to try in the future. Lately, other than the Dragon series, I have enjoyed two non fiction xocumentary type books, Methland which I believe I talked about and War, the book by the suthor embedded with the guys in the remote outpost in the Kandhar (sp) valley. If you want to see how violent men can be without the calming factor of women, this is a good one to read.

Speaking of violence, we just rented The Expendables, which was like a bunch of testosterone infused geriatric grade B stars gone wild. If you want to see a bunch of shit get blown up and more bodies than the Walking dead then this one is for you.

lexilou
Elite Members

December 8th, 2010, 1:51 pm #288

Lol, Krystal. DH just rented that one, he called it a "daddy movie". I didn't watch it, I have no desire to see Bruce Willis.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 9th, 2010, 1:54 am #289

I cannot recommend Bujold highly enough.
iii
iii
iii

Cheryl
Elite Members

December 9th, 2010, 4:35 am #290

Has anyone seen Burlesque? I wanted to see it really badly but after listening to the cd and watching a couple of godawful performances by Christina Aguilera, my desire to see it has waned considerably. I really want to see The Fighter with Mark Walberg. I love him and heard it was really good.

We recorded the comedy Observe and Report with Seth Rogen on HBO this weekend. It was really bad. Yeah, I have no desire to see The Expendables either.

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!