Krystal
Site Admin

September 10th, 2010, 5:00 am #261

Several reviews all rentals, Killer Inside Me, awful, sadistic, woman hating, awful.

Great Buck Howard, put me to sleep.

Harry Brown (Michael Caine), great movie. if you like Gran Torino you'll love this one.

tgir
Site Admin

September 10th, 2010, 5:13 am #262

We saw The American, which was....meh. Not badly done, just not terribly interesting. Considering it is a George Clooney movie, that's saying a lot. Clooney does not play to type and does not particularly capitalize on his good looks and natural charm, which is largely surpressed in this film. Dax: You'd like the part where you see a lot of naked Violante Placido. Pretty sure you'll like her.

Nothing in the movie surprised at all, except that it is apparently possible in small villages in Italy to shoot people at night and no police come and no one mentions it the next day.....

Krystal
Site Admin

September 14th, 2010, 10:01 pm #263

Rented Chloe, which was really good. Julliane Moore and Liam neeson. Sort of suspense, sort of a sexual movie. Don't want to give stuff away.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 22nd, 2010, 4:58 am #264

Another Liam Neeseon with Christina Ricci, Afterlife, very creepy unusual movie. Liked it a lot.

tgir
Site Admin

October 19th, 2010, 3:57 am #265

Went to go see Never Let Me Go. I have never read the novel so I can't compare, but my understanding is the film is pretty faithful. I thought it was well done, deeply sad, says much more than the story of the 3 individuals whose lives it outlines. Yes, it is obviously about medical ethics but on other levels, it makes you see it as not just a cautionary tale about medical science and potential ethical dilemmas, but also about who we, in society, see as being not exactly untouchable, but as somewhat repulsive, even as we are eager to use them for what they can give us. And whether we don't in fact, use up bits and pieces of people, to sustain our own lives, even as it cost the lives of those who repulse us. And fate--can we ever escape it? The film seems to say that it is as impossible to escape the fate society has laid out for us as the ancients believed it was to escape the fate the gods dictated.

Well acted, beautifully filmed.

tgir
Site Admin

October 24th, 2010, 6:02 am #266

Also: Just saw Red, which was really funny for it's kind of movie. Not art, definitely predictable but nice, light weight fare. Good to see 'old' people kick some ass. I predict RED (retired, extremely dangerous) t-shirts. In fact, I want one myself. Even if I can't retire for 12 1/3 more years.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

October 24th, 2010, 8:37 pm #267

Finally saw Invictus. Curiously underwhelmed, considering Mandela is one of the guys I always name to my students as one of the 5 greatest men of the 20th century.

Probably all that rugby. :P
iii
iii
iii

bilki
Site Admin

October 25th, 2010, 3:17 pm #268

I finally watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The plot didn't feel all that original but it held my attention throughout, even with the subtitles. Noomi Rapace was awesome as Lisbeth Salander. I'd say she was the reason I kept watching.

lexilou
Elite Members

October 26th, 2010, 2:04 am #269

I did not like the movie. I liked the books, but the movie didn't do it for me, don't know why. They are remaking it in the US with Daniel Craig. He might do it for me :wub:

Krystal
Site Admin

October 26th, 2010, 4:40 am #270

I loved the books, best I have read in a long time. Saw the first movie and liked it a lot. Still not as in depth as the book. Have the second on the blockbuster list.