shelle_cr
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 9:31 am #231

Bilki, don't read anything about Inception ahead. Just go there and pay attention.

We're going again tonight or tomorrow.

So, how do you understand the ending?
[+] Spoiler
I think he's stuck in the limbo :( They accomplished the mission, but he stayed there and never got to see the kids. Which deeply saddens me. I really need to see it again as I have so many questions.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 1:13 pm #232

I'm with Cheryl. I think the backwards story just didn't connect with me. I was such a bookworm all my life I may be too wedded to traditional narrative flow. As an *idea* maybe it was cool - but imo it seemed the desire to play with the structure as an intellectual *challenge* placed the story and characters in a subservient position in order for the creative folks to say, "look look look at how cool and creative we are!"

(Yet I loved The Usual Suspects...)

For me, novels and movies are *doorways* into alt-universes. I have such an ability to suspend disbelief that for awhile in my 20's I had to quit going to certain movies (i.e. Empire Strikes Back) because I became so wrapped up in them I'd have a panic attack being immersed. But I prefer that to feeling *removed* by the storytelling.

I'm not explaining this well. I guess the best way to explain it is that I want to be in the *flow* experience. If I *notice I'm watching* a movie it breaks the flow.

But a few people who know my quirks are telling me I will like Inception. So maybe this weekend...
iii
iii
iii

blosslover
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 5:19 pm #233

I never saw that film so I can't comment.

KM I think the ability to immerse oneself is wonderful, but feeling removed sucks. There has to be a balance, and finding that can be hard.

bilki
Site Admin

July 24th, 2010, 1:13 am #234

I see what you mean, KMI. I didn't see Memento until it came out on DVD, so I had forgotten about any hype surrounding the "gimmick". I saw that method of telling the story as a way to get a glimpse of what it might be to live in the mind of that lead character. But I can see why one would not appreciate it.

I enjoyed Inception. It was a fun ride that also engaged my fascination with the mind and our dreams. There were points at which I wasn't exactly sure of what was going on but dreams are like that, also.

In response to what you said about the ending, shelle-
[+] Spoiler
I think it's up to you whether he awakened from the dream. It was meant to be ambiguous. The top looked like it could be about to stop and fall but they cut to credits just before we got a certain answer.

The Girl Who Played with Fire is now here in the theater. I need to watch Dragon Tattoo first, though. Finally received The Road through NetFlix today, so I'll probably watch that tomorrow.
Last edited by bilki on July 24th, 2010, 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheryl
Elite Members

July 24th, 2010, 3:31 am #235

I think I probably would have loved Memento if I had watched it again. It's the kind of movie that begs a second viewing. The problem was that I had NO desire to see it again. I thought Guy Pierce was awesome, though. I loved him ever since L.A. Confidential (AWESOME movie!)

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

shelle_cr
Site Admin

July 24th, 2010, 2:48 pm #236

I don't think I've ever seen Memento, i was intrigued when i read about it, but I think it was too violent for me. I;m not big on violence on screen. Actually, off screen as well :)

But I liked both new Batmans a lot. I LOVED Inception. I want to see it over and over and figure it out.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Krystal
Site Admin

July 24th, 2010, 4:03 pm #237

The Road is one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen.

bilki
Site Admin

July 25th, 2010, 3:21 am #238

The Road was bleak. There was a certain beauty within but I can see how it might be difficult for some to watch in its entirety.

Krystal
Site Admin

July 28th, 2010, 7:56 pm #239

Watched a strange one, Don McKay, another kind of Hitchcock like movie, not bad, but not as good as 'Peacock" which I really recc. Interesting side though, been seeing a lot of "Bradley raines" lately, he was in this one, and I have seen him a number of times in films and in some series.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

July 28th, 2010, 10:58 pm #240

I am so far behind in movie watching but I did see 3 movies on the way back from Tokyo ... Alice in Wonderland ~ loved it but I love Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, Leap Year ~ Eh ... it was OK, and The Time Travelers Wife ~ Loved it!

My kid is seeing Inspection tonight. I'm sure she will fall asleep since she's been up for 24 hours because of jet lag. -_-
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.