shelle_cr
Site Admin

July 21st, 2010, 1:57 pm #221

BL, it's two and half hours, but it flies really quickly.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Dax
Site Admin

July 22nd, 2010, 11:17 pm #222

I liked Inception a lot. It's a very complex narrative, and I can't say I understood everything (a repeat viewing with subtitles and an option to rewind should help a lot - I lost some dialogue here and there), but characters' objectives were USUALLY clear enough (sometimes I'd be confused, and not get why a couple people were fighting in one level or another, or what/why somebody was doing what they were doing...). The effects are dazzling. It's a lot of fun.

Re: Nolan - loved Memento and Batman Begins, liked his Insomnia remake and The Dark Knight, haven't yet seen Following or The Prestige.

-

Toy Story 3 was more pure genius and magic. Pixar has never let me down, even with my highest of high expectations.

tgir
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 1:00 am #223

Saw Inception and really enjoyed it. Must be a year for ambiguous endings. Started watching Girl With The Dragon Tatoo last night and had to stop and sleep. But good, so far.

bilki
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 1:42 am #224

KMInfinity wrote:I hated Memento and a couple others by Inception director Nolan...... will def wait to see this on TV.
You hated it!?!?! I've never heard anyone say such a thing about Memento! It's one of my favorites. I had mixed feelings about Insomnia, and if it weren't for Ledger's performance I'm not sure what I'd have thought about The Dark Knight.

I'm going to try to see Inception this weekend. With all the reports of the complex plot, I'm wondering if I should read a few reviews before I head to the theater. Sometimes I get a little lost while watching on the big screen.

Dax
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 2:29 am #225

Nah, probably better to just let yourself be confused and then read a bunch about it AFTER (I'm gonna do that, just haven't gotten around to it yet...).

Dark Knight was a bit too 'busy' for me, too many events crowded into the second half, little things about it bugged me, but it was fun, and Ledger was great...

Cheryl
Elite Members

July 23rd, 2010, 3:09 am #226

bilki wrote:
KMInfinity wrote:I hated Memento and a couple others by Inception director Nolan...... will def wait to see this on TV.
You hated it!?!?! I've never heard anyone say such a thing about Memento! It's one of my favorites. I had mixed feelings about Insomnia, and if it weren't for Ledger's performance I'm not sure what I'd have thought about The Dark Knight.
Well get ready, my broth-a.....here's another one. I didn't like Memento either. It was just too frickin' weird for me. It's difficult enough watching a movie in real time, much less backwards. That movie gave me a headache! Loved Batman Begins, much better than the Dark Knight. And Insomnia pretty much put ME to sleep. I'll wait on Inception as well.

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

bilki
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 3:25 am #227

Well, knock me down with a feather! I guess we don't all have to like the same movies, LOL! I can see not liking Memento if you didn't appreciate the "backwards" way of telling the story, Cheryl. For me, that was part of the fun. I was convinced I'd be lost by the end but somehow I figured it out. Why didn't you like it, KMI?

I agree there was too much going on with the second half of The Dark Knight. If the Two-Face storyline had been removed I may have thought the film was near perfect. Except for Maggie Gyllenhaal's annoying character. BLECH!
Last edited by bilki on July 23rd, 2010, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 3:37 am #228

There is so much going on visually in Inception that I am not sure it would translate on a television screen. Of course, I just have an old fashioned and fairly small tv.

I think they must have dumbed down Inception quite a lot: I did not get lost in the layers of reality/story/dreams and honestly, I would have thought I would.

It's much more straightforward than Memento (which I liked, but it was weird). This is an 'easier' film to watch than Memento--more mainstream, I think (it's been a while since I've seen Memento so...my memory could be off. No pun intended) and....less dark, to be honest. I went to see it with my two oldest sons.

I liked Dark Knight for Heath Ledger's performance. I honestly don't get the allure attributed to Christian Bale. He's very 'meh' imo.
Last edited by tgir on July 23rd, 2010, 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 3:49 am #229

Memento was similarly disorienting, but by knowing things that WOULD occur, we weren't entirely lost when we'd get a new domino-striking-domino to get there... but of course, it was fun to see how (and how often) our perception of something would change when something new was revealed... (reminds me, I've never watched the in-chronological-order re-edit available on the 2-disc special edition... another something to do 'someday'...)

I think Inception has enough 'regular action movie' hooks - car chases, explosions, fights - that even if you ARE completely confuzzled by the plot, there's more than enough conventionally entertaining eye candy to keep you occupied. It is not boring. But it's SMARTER than your average action movie, for sure...

Krystal
Site Admin

July 23rd, 2010, 4:53 am #230

I like Memento.

I don't get Bale either.

I'll wait to see Inception on rental.

Watching a lot of DVD's as summer TV sucks, saw Green Zone yesterday, pretty good, and actually enjoyed "The Crazies", a Romero remake (love Romero) with my new fave leading man Olyphant.