tgir
Site Admin

July 11th, 2010, 3:16 am #201

wrote:Mr. Depp's career is plowing ahead while yours has run aground for the simple reason that he's never sold himself ("Hi there, fans, I'm Johnny Depp.") He's always sold his characters, which form a veritable menagerie of types and styles.
To me, this is the most salient point: Mr. Depp always sells his characters and indeed, can play an astonishing array of characters. Tom Cruise has much more limited range, imo.

I do admit to more than a little prejudice and limits of experience. I pointedly avoid a lot of films which feature Tom Cruise which is one of the reasons I missed Magnolia on DVD (it never played near me). Maybe he is quite good in films I haven't seen. I have liked him in some roles: Rainman leaps to mind. But mostly, to me, he plays some version of himself or some version of his fantasy self (Mission Impossible movies). And I just don't find him very likeable or interesting.

I also avoid Tim Burton films and am still upset that Depp was in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (or that Burton was allowed near the film) and Wonka (ditto re: Tim Burton). But I have seen quite a number of Depp's other films, each of which (Pirates franchise excepted) he portrays distinctly different characters and plays them well: I believe his character--he disappears in the role. His roles may or may not actually showcase some aspect of his personality: I honestly don't know, but when I see one of his films, I believe his character. On the other hand, most (but not all) the time, I see Tom Cruise in his films. I could easily say the same about George Clooney but to me, Clooney is a lot more charming a screen presence.
Last edited by tgir on July 11th, 2010, 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cheryl
Elite Members

July 11th, 2010, 3:53 am #202

Tgir--did you not watch Pirates or are you saying that Johnny D's character wasn't all that memorable? He definitely disappeared into that role and was simply amazing the way he did it.
wrote:(Let's see ... how about the showing at 11 a.m. Sunday two weeks from now? Ought to be able to get in without fighting through a mob of hormone-secreting high-schoolers.)
OMG!!! That is SOOOO my hubby and I when we go to the movies.....to a tee! I think we're going to see Grownups tomorrow (my boss said he laughed a LOT and I need a good laugh), and it's been out (I believe) for two weeks. LOL!
Last edited by Cheryl on July 11th, 2010, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

bilki
Site Admin

July 11th, 2010, 5:29 am #203

Interesting article about Tom Cruise. I've never been much of a fan. HATED Top Gun! I was reluctant to watch Magnolia because of his role in the film but I ended up loving his character. Great scenes with April Grace, who played the reporter who interviewed him. I think that was the only role of which I truly believed him to be the character he was playing.

While Kathryn Bigelow's win for best director of The Hurt Locker was great, it wasn't my favorite of the 2010 Oscar nominated films I've seen. I enjoyed both Inglourious Basterds and Up in the Air more than The Hurt Locker. Inglourious Basterds being my favoite of the three.

I've watched A Single Man, with Colin Firth and Julianne Moore, twice now and will probably watch it one more time before I send it back. Very much enjoyed it. I believe it's set in 1962, and fans of Mad Men may appreciate that it's done by the same production design team. Jon Hamm even has an uncredited voice role early in the film, though director Tom Ford claims he didn't realize the connection at first.
Last edited by bilki on July 11th, 2010, 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

mozartkc
Elite Members

July 11th, 2010, 1:36 pm #204

Yay! I can finally comment in this section! A friend talked me into seeing "The Last Airbender" ....wtf....pardon me here but that movie was so gay. The kid can't act, the pace dragged on, and I really had no clue what was going on. I realize that this movie was based on a childrens cartoon so maybe thats why I didn't enjoy it. The movie was full of 1 liners that seemed perverted and I was always wondering where all the women were.
I rented Shutter Island. While the movie was extremely disturbing I still enjoyed it. Leonardo has come a long way since Titanic. It was a very creepy movie.
I also rented Alice In Wonderland. That was almost 3 hours of my life wasted. The special effects were good but there are some movies that should NEVER be redone or messed with. I was very disappointed :( I hear that they are rebooting Neverending Story :( thats a classic that should be left alone IMO.

tgir
Site Admin

July 11th, 2010, 2:22 pm #205

Cheryl, I am sorry. I wasn't clear. What I meant was that Depp portrayed the same character in each of the Pirates movies--and was supposed to do so. In his other films he portrayed very different characters--and he was supposed to do so. In each case, he, the actor, disappeared, giving us a well developed character. There may be exceptions: I know I haven't seen all of Depp's films.

To me, Cruise rarely disappears. When I see him, I always think: There's Tom Cruise, playing (insert role). Again, this may be unfair: I haven't seen all of his films. I did like Rainman very much. I also liked Minority Report and thought he was good in the role.

Dax
Site Admin

July 11th, 2010, 3:00 pm #206

I liked Cruise in A Few Good Men (he's not 'not Tom Cruise' or anything, I just think he did a good job), The Firm (ditto), and Born on the Fourth of July (this is probably his best disappear-into-the-role performance to date). And Magnolia is a wonderful film that his star presence does not detract from... and then he really does have some lovely moments in it.

I like Johnny Depp in everything he does, pretty much. Strangely, I haven't gotten around to seeing the second and third Pirates movies.

Last edited by Dax on July 11th, 2010, 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cheryl
Elite Members

July 11th, 2010, 3:31 pm #207

bilki wrote:I've watched A Single Man, with Colin Firth and Julianne Moore, twice now and will probably watch it one more time before I send it back. Very much enjoyed it. I believe it's set in 1962, and fans of Mad Men may appreciate that it's done by the same production design team. Jon Hamm even has an uncredited voice role early in the film, though director Tom Ford claims he didn't realize the connection at first.
Bilki--I want to see this movie so bad and now that I see how much you like it, even worse! I love Colin Firth and the few clips I've seen leave me wanting more.

I'm not a huge Cruise fan either but my all time fave movie of his is Jerry Maguire. I can watch that movie over and over and over.....it makes me happy. Bilki--I hated Top Gun, too! Haha!!! Also enjoyed him in the Mission Impossible movies, mainly the first two. And now his ugly, bald, slimy Les Grossman character from Tropic Thunder (that he just did at the MTV movie awards) is my FAVE.......he's so frickn' funny!

And last but not least, Mozart--you crack me up!!! :lmfao:

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

bilki
Site Admin

July 11th, 2010, 3:54 pm #208

mozartkc wrote:Yay! I can finally comment in this section! A friend talked me into seeing "The Last Airbender" ....wtf....pardon me here but that movie was so gay. The kid can't act, the pace dragged on, and I really had no clue what was going on. I realize that this movie was based on a childrens cartoon so maybe thats why I didn't enjoy it. The movie was full of 1 liners that seemed perverted and I was always wondering where all the women were.
The animated series was actually quite good. Quite a bit of humor and some surprising character development. You can credit M. Knight Shyamalan with completely ruining it. All of my friends who are fans of the series were completely disappointed with the film.

Cheryl, there's a certain melancholy to A Single Man. I can't remember if you're a fan of such things. But Colin Firth is great. And visually it's quite appealing. Hearing Jon Hamm's voice really put a smile on my face.

Krystal
Site Admin

July 11th, 2010, 8:34 pm #209

Cruise does not do it for me and never has. I have never seen him as a sex symbol and big agree, it is always TOM there, in the role of........

Depp is really great, I did not like Pirates, but I would hate it no matter who played the role. Same with Alice, not seeing it. I have loved Depp in pretty much everything else, he is so much a better actor.

Sadly with guys, I don't think age is that much an issue, Eastwood, Pacino and Doulgas and some of the oldies are still doing great films.

blosslover
Site Admin

July 11th, 2010, 9:35 pm #210

I think I may have seen an episode or two of Airbender the cartoon, but know nothing about it.

I do want to see A Single Man eventually, it never was out at the movies near me.

When I think of Top Gun, I think about watching it in school, and being forced to fast forward the love scenes by the teacher. We were the class that misbehaved at lunch and got to watch Top Gun while the other kids watched a Disney movie as a reward. For that reason alone I like the movie. LOL