Krystal
Site Admin

February 9th, 2010, 4:04 pm #131

OK, Universal Soldier, stunk to high heaven. No dialog, just fist fights and grunting.

Amelia, borrrrrring. Turned it off after 45 minutes. Swank and Gere had no chemistry.

Dax
Site Admin

February 10th, 2010, 3:52 pm #132

Finally saw Avatar the other day. Liked it.

So I've seen 4 of the 10 Picture nominees (also Up, Inglorious Basterds, and District 9). I'd like to see Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker before the show.

Cheryl
Elite Members

February 11th, 2010, 3:16 am #133

Dax wrote:Finally saw Avatar the other day. Liked it.

So I've seen 4 of the 10 Picture nominees (also Up, Inglorious Basterds, and District 9). I'd like to see Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker before the show.
I have no idea what The Hurt Locker is about or who is in it, but it certainly seems to be garnering a lot of attention. I never heard of it until the Golden Globes. Everyone seems to be in agreement that it's good though so I want to see it. District 9, too. So many movies, so little time. :'(

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

KMInfinity
Site Admin

February 11th, 2010, 4:39 pm #134

Haven't seen Avatar yet, but read the Newsweek Oscar preview interview with several actors and some are outright negative about Avatar's use of "motion capture" especially Freeman and Bullock---and Jeff Bridges seems low-key and not really wanting to defend it.

Thoughts?

http://photo.newsweek.com/oscar-roundta ... pture.html

Beginning of article----
http://photo.newsweek.com/oscar-roundta ... mpany.html
Last edited by KMInfinity on February 11th, 2010, 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

February 12th, 2010, 3:58 am #135

I don't want all movies to use motion capture (or CGI, or fill-in-the-blank-with-whatever special effects), but if it's done/used well, and the story's good, I don't mind...

I did not like the process (hardly at all) on Zemeckis' Polar Express, but it looked a lot better by the time he got to Beowulf (I haven't seen middle movie Monster House or the latest, Christmas Carol, yet).

Avatar looked great. The stuff in LOTR looked great.

Actors shouldn't be any more threatened by this than any other advances in technology. If they don't wanna do (or see) these kinds of movies, they shouldn't, of course.

tgir
Site Admin

February 12th, 2010, 4:12 am #136

Maybe I am an old fuddy duddy but I don't care much for the 'motion capture' or the overuse of CGI. For one thing, often the movie becomes far too much about Hey! Look at what cool things I can do with my computer! (see George Lucas's last 3/prequels of Star Wars. ) I specifically stayed away from Beowulf, 300 and probably more because really, I don't want to see a cartoon version of actors I really like. I much prefer it when CGI (or whatever) is used where needed, to depict fantastical creatures such as those in LOTR, with the emphasis being on the very human actors.

I can see why actors would object. I can see how easily studios would gradually, oh, so gradually move towards using only CGI/motion capture or whatever in order to avoid paying actors for their screen presence. In my area, there have been some commercials which used (not sure of the technique) but it looked as though actors were filmed and then computer artists animated over the film images. I.E. like tracing way back when i was a kid. Ok technique for some things but cheating, artistically speaking and the effect was creepy, cheap and artificial. And obviously I can't remember the name of the product.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

February 12th, 2010, 3:52 pm #137

Having not seen Avatar.....

I do think Gollum was outstanding in LOTR so big thumbs' up there. Reading between the lines I'm wondering if it's not so much the motion capture aspect as the types of movies that would use it. I could see Freeman for example, being rather disdainful of the Hollywood/public obsession with *big* tech movies instead of films such as Invictus, which I think really got snowed under due to all the Avatar hype.
Last edited by KMInfinity on February 12th, 2010, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

Krystal
Site Admin

February 13th, 2010, 12:52 am #138

I am not sure I will like Avatar as I hate animation. Hard to explain, as I love Sci Fi Alien movie but LOTR and Crouching Dragon left me cold. Also do not like any of the Batman or Superman movies although I liked the Dark Knight (I think that was the one with Downney?).

Dax
Site Admin

February 14th, 2010, 1:44 am #139

>> Also do not like any of the Batman or Superman movies although I liked the Dark Knight (I think that was the one with Downey?).

Iron Man is the one with Downey... 'The Dark Knight' was the second Christopher Nolan/Christian Bale Batman movie (Heath Ledger's posthumous Oscar nom).

lexilou
Elite Members

February 14th, 2010, 2:08 pm #140

The Dark Knight - Did Heath die during filming and did they use other actors (Johnny Depp) to film the last scenes? I thought I read that somewhere.