tgir
Site Admin

January 29th, 2017, 5:00 pm #771

I didn't really like The Accountant as much as I had thought I would. I didn't care for Affleck's performance as someone with Asperger's. It just didn't....track well. I think they took the wrong direction with that aspect of the story.

Liked Deep Water Horizon very much. Hubby rented a bunch of movies last night including X-Men Apocalypse, which was well done, considering the genre, although it did jump around quite a bit re: time line which bothered hubby much more than me. I was bothered by.. the implausibility of the science. I know I know I know. And WTF was Rose Byrne doing in that film? Her character served zero purpose except to accidentally set the events leading to the apocalypse in motion and also inexplicably being the love interest of Xavier, I guess to prove he is a straight man who is not a pervert? Who erased all her memories. What a self righteous dick. And who had a daughter but lost her marriage because having a marriage and a demanding career is difficult....but raising a kid on your own while juggling a demanding career is so much easier. Although we didn't see her kid so maybe the kid is with the dad? Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. It DID leave me curious about how the alliance between some of the characters falls apart. No, I am not at all familiar with the canon. I gave up comic books when they bumped the price up to $0.15.

tgir
Site Admin

February 10th, 2017, 12:30 pm #772

I DID go see A Dog's Purpose. It was really good and definitely a tear jerker although I will say that some of that was undercut by the general theme of the movie. Some parts were more successful than others and I could pick it to death but for the most part, it was pretty good.

Krystal
Site Admin

March 22nd, 2017, 12:27 am #773

Not much movie action here. Has anybody seen passengers? I like sci-fi but then it looks like it's a lot of Jennifer Lawrence and I can't stand her.

tgir
Site Admin

March 31st, 2017, 12:00 am #774

I liked Passengers well enough. There are flaws in terms of science and plot and holes in the plot but overall, I'd give it a B+. Some cool sfx but more missed opportunities for cool sfx, imo.

If you really dislike Jennifer Lawrence, you can skip it with a clear consciences.

Krystal
Site Admin

April 20th, 2017, 5:14 am #775

We rented Patriots Day and it was okay but not amazing. They spent minimal time on the actual explosion and more on what happened afterwards. It was overly long it needed editing.

Also rented nocturnal animals. This was really a strange film I liked it but some people wouldn't. It was a really good cast. The plot was a woman who was quite successful was reading a book sent to her by her ex-husband. So as you are reading the book you see the plot of the book which was quite violent and involved a rape and murder which bothered me somewhat. As The Woman (amy adams) read the book their War flashbacks about her marriage with the author who was her first husband. It was rather well Laird and a complex movie won't be to everyone's taste.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

April 22nd, 2017, 5:49 pm #776

Finally saw Imitation Game. Very good, even if I'm not a Cumberbatch fan. As usual with these fic-docs, I gotta do research now. :P
iii
iii
iii

Krystal
Site Admin

May 19th, 2017, 9:37 pm #777

So yesterday they had a first time Democratic meeting in the town. I don't know how they got the mailing list but they were supposed to be in this rather small restaurant with a nice patio. We went early and the parking lot was already totally jammed and you could hardly move in the restaurant. The restaurant was as big as let's say at Denny's Maybe to give you some perspective. Well they will passing petitions around and everybody was signing up for all kinds of things. They were handing out the sticks with half of Sean Spicer's head peeking through so you could put them in a bush or whatever and they ran out of them because everybody wanted them. Everybody is energized by the investigations. But I felt really good about finding so many Democrats in this otherwise conservative town. I think more people are moving here from the Midwest in particular Chicago and that really helps water down the bigotry.

tgir
Site Admin

May 22nd, 2017, 5:49 pm #778

We saw Guardians of the Galaxy II and really enjoyed it. Did not see it as a sophomore slump so much as chapter 2. Please note I have read almost no comics, ever and so my expectations will never be at war with my knowledge of a character's universe/history. Also please note: I don't see Guardians as anything to take even a little seriously. We just go for the good times.

Also saw The Zookeeper's Wife, which we really liked. I haven't read the book yet but Matt has so he was aware of some dramatic license/differences.

Krystal, glad you are finding some of your people. Nice to see a proliferation of Democrats because lord knows, we've seen an explosion of the right wingers.
Last edited by tgir on May 22nd, 2017, 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 18th, 2017, 5:02 pm #779

Anyone see Wonder Woman yet?
iii
iii
iii

Krystal
Site Admin

June 19th, 2017, 11:37 pm #780

If I ever went to theaters I would see the new alien movie for sure. But as usual I'll just wait for it to show up at Redbox or on demand or whatever.