Krystal
Site Admin

December 30th, 2016, 6:35 pm #751

By the way did you like passengers? I don't know anyone else who has seen it. I like the genre but like I said I don't care for either lead. I know you said it was okay but in what way?

Dax
Site Admin

December 30th, 2016, 9:48 pm #752

I think I'll probably like the new Magificent Seven when I get around to it. May double-bill it with the original, which I haven't seen in a long time, or even triple-bill it with Seven Samurai, which I've never seen but have owned the disc of forever...

I enjoyed Rogue One more than you, tgir, but I'm way less enthusiastic on it than most I see talking about it... agree that the characters weren't fully realized, just types. It was okay, but not great.

bilki
Site Admin

December 31st, 2016, 12:04 am #753

Sounds like I might as well skip Rogue One. I barely made it through The Force Awakens, and I know people loved that one.

Dax
Site Admin

December 31st, 2016, 12:20 am #754

I liked TFA a lot as a new beginning, mystery, sequel, nostalgia blast... it has flaws, but was a fine opening for what is almost sure to be a much, much better Episode 8 (written and directed by Breaking Bad genius director, Rian Johnson).

Rogue One is neat as a prequel - the opening crawl in the first(/fourth) one was

"It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy...."

-- and this is that story (getting the plans). It wasn't exactly a NECESSARY story to be told, but as the first of these 'SW Stories' that will be coming indefinitely, I guess it's a logical one.

A 'Young Han Solo' adventure is next, releasing between 8 & 9.

Mads Mikklesen is cool as the heroine's father, the engineer forced to work for the Empire... I like the clever answer to the age-old question 'Hey, why was the Death Star so freakin' easy to destroy?'

I think it's kinda morally icky to resurrect Peter Cushing to play Tarkin, but... family got paid, and presumably consented, so... I don't know. It's weird.
Last edited by Dax on December 31st, 2016, 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

tgir
Site Admin

December 31st, 2016, 4:36 am #755

Krystal wrote:By the way did you like passengers? I don't know anyone else who has seen it. I like the genre but like I said I don't care for either lead. I know you said it was okay but in what way?
I think it is an interesting premise: One of a large number of colonists on a 120 year journey in suspended animation awakens 30 years into the journey to a new planet they are all set to colonize. That's Chris Pratt, who is reasonably cast as someone with mechanical background. We see the ship moving through space, colliding with a largish (not as big as the ship but big) object and that does damage to the ship. One of the consequences is that Pratt is awakened early from his pod. Because of the process of awakening, with holographic greeters who guide him through the steps/his ship sleeping quarters, etc., he doesn't initially realize that he's the only one awake. It's plausible that his waking up happens this way. But the next morning/sleep cycle, he does realize he shouldn't be awake, realizes it's 90 years until he reaches his destination and he's all alone. He can access food from the cafeteria, there's Sheen as an android bartender who keeps him company a bit but he's lonely. He can access all sorts of luxury entertainment but despite being able to get into some of the ship's systems, there is no way for him to contact earth (it will take 18 years for a message to reach earth and presumably that long to come back. Plus the ship system will charge him.) He's on his own. Eventually, he gets to be a bit of a mess and starts looking at sleeping passengers and is taken with Jennifer Lawrence. He can access her bio info and likes her. He debates with himself and the android over a period of days, maybe weeks and finally decides to waken her. He doesn't tell her it's deliberate, although he plans to, later.

Of course they develop a relationship,
[+] Spoiler
of course she finds out, of course there's some cool SFX (but not nearly as cool as Gravity or The Martian, either of which is far better than this), She is furious, rejects him, he's heartbroken. A ship's officer is awakened, as part of a series of malfunctions that begin to increase in number and severity. The ship's officer is terminal, but he provides them with much needed info plus his access bracelet and code so they can access the bridge.

Really, nothing much else happens. There are some incredibly implausible things that happen--with no explanation as to how he carries out his surprises (he grows a tree that appears to be about 20 year old oak--overnight, for instance.)

There is a series of accumulating damage from the initial impact (and no explanation as to why it took so long to show up), the ship is about to be destroyed with all 5000 passengers plus 200+ crew and they have to fix it--without the officer who has now died.

They do, it's dramatic and a bit uncertain who will survive.

Then 90 years have passed, and presumably so have Pratt and Lawrence who leave a message--and kind of a jungle on the ship. Complete with some animals. No idea how that happened. No idea how they died, as surely they did, or where their bodies are, etc.
It isn't ....bad, but it seems like many missed opportunities for more interesting. Even many very wasted moments as far as SFX go.

I like Pratt fine and I like Lawrence very much (if you haven't seen it, see Winter's Bone, which is excellent and almost as good as the book). Sheen was great actually and I dislike him in Masters of Sex (dislike character. Cannot understand what Libby or anyone sees in him. Blech). Pratt and Lawrence work well enough together but no off the wall chemistry. Plausible enough. There's some humor, some drama. But mostly missed opportunities.
Last edited by tgir on December 31st, 2016, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 31st, 2016, 5:07 am #756

I saw Lawrence in Winter's Bone and I thought she was very good but I haven't liked her in anything since and I thought she was overly height not that great looking and not that great talented. I think she's been miscast in a number of things including and I can't remember the name the show about the seventies but I don't like her I don't like her Persona and I don't think he's a great actor either

Krystal
Site Admin

December 31st, 2016, 5:22 am #757

Here's what I hate about Jennifer Lawrence I feel she was shoved down my throat and that's not her fault but it seems there is an actor usually female that is in absolutely everything even though they're miscast in a number of things. She has had way too many parts in way too many movies that she was not right for in my opinion. Another example of that is Jennifer Chastain who was in absolutely everything and now I haven't seen her that much although I think she has settled into some good rolls. Another one is Margot Robbie who was horribly miscast in focus with Will Smith who is twice her age. So we have this young blond woman as a romantic partner to this middle-aged black guy even though Will Smith looks pretty good it was still jarring to me and got on my nerves. So to some degree that's not Jennifer Lawrence or any of these other women's Faults, that they get labeled as an actress that has to be an absolutely everything current even though the roles are not suitable for them or at least someone else could do a much better job. I thought her winning an Academy Award that is Jennifer Lawrence was totally absurd.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 31st, 2016, 5:31 am #758

While I'm on a rant here's the thing about Focus which was a terrible movie anyhow. I'm sure Will Smith had something to say about his co-star and couldn't he have chosen a slightly older African-American woman or at least somebody with mixed heritage and why does he have to choose a blonde woman half his age? What is that all about. Another one is Tom Cruise who I can't stand under any circumstances but here you have him never ever ever playing against a woman his own age but a woman half his age and I think that's because these guys are delusional that if they have such a younger partner in a movie that we will perceive them as being younger. But God forbid a mature female should have a younger actor as a partner on any movie. They get to have more mature roles as one would say and are lucky if they get any.

tgir
Site Admin

December 31st, 2016, 12:45 pm #759

I agree that a lot of actors and actresses are over-used in films. I think it either happens more with actresses or we just notice it more as they have so many fewer roles than do male actors. I thought Lawrence was being cast in too many films, too. I like her in them, but what's wrong with using an actress who is of the appropriate age in films? That was true in Silver Linings Playbook. Also in Joy. I thought she was extremely good in both but why not cast someone who is closer to the age of the character instead of a young actress?

I don't mind a mixed race couple at all but I do mind seeing only young women with a certain look--preferably blonde! cast against middle aged actors. And truly there are very very few instances of women of color being cast as romantic leads.

Hollywood still has a lot of sexism, a lot of ageism, and plenty of racism. Films with mostly female casts are 'chic flicks' but it is extremely common to see all male casts or virtually all male casts and those films are not called dick flicks. Not many Hispanic, Asian or black actors in starring roles still. Much less romantic leads. I cannot think of the last time a black woman was cast as a lead in any film that was not considered a chick flick. Or a 'black' film.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 31st, 2016, 3:39 pm #760

I'm with the tgir men - the Seven Samurai all the way. :P I'm a big Kurosawa fan, and give kids extra credit of they watch some of his films. (part of my US History/World connections efforts)
iii
iii
iii