jbrr1212
Elite Members

August 30th, 2016, 8:13 am #741

Very sad indeed. Willy Wonka is easily one of my top ten all-time favorite movies. He was really great....

Krystal
Site Admin

September 7th, 2016, 11:34 pm #742

We rented money monster with George Clooney yesterday. It was pretty good but nothing really original

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 3rd, 2016, 12:35 pm #743

We saw 'Bad Santa 2'. Cute, corny, dirty ... couple of laughs and one good cry but that is only if you were a fan of the 1st Bad Santa.We were the only ones in the luxury theater so we had a blast.

Kathy Bates was Bad Santa aka Billy Bob Thornton's mom which was fun.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 9th, 2016, 4:24 am #744

For those of you who like creepy suspenseful films I strongly suggest don't breathe. It really keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 21st, 2016, 11:27 pm #745

We rented Sully last night. It was a good movie with good acting and it managed to be tense even though you knew that he saved everybody on the plane. It was still freaking amazing what he did.

I wish somebody here would see don't breathe in tell me what they thought of it. I think gatekeeper or KMI I would like it.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 30th, 2016, 5:11 am #746

Watch The Magnificent Seven tonight and I actually liked it a lot maybe even more than Sully. A lot of typical Western violence however maybe I'm a little immune to it after watching the West world series on TV. I love the cast

tgir
Site Admin

December 30th, 2016, 12:16 pm #747

The menfolk in my family have all stayed away from Magnificent Seven, out of loyalty to the original. Frankly, they are such purists that they like Seven Samarai which was the inspiration for the Magnificent Seven as 'the' standard.

It's good to hear that the remake of The Magnificent Seven is not a disaster but actually pretty decent. I'll let them know...

We saw Passengers (ok) and Rogue One (found boring and pointless) this past weekend. Mostly went because hubby was all into going to the flicks. Most people, including my kids, liked Rogue One. We just...didn't. I don't know what it is with Hollywood these days that the most likeable and original or rather 'original' characters are all robotic. Come to think of it, that was semi-true in Passengers as well. K-250 was certainly the most likeable character in Rogue One and in Passengers, Arthur was almost more interesting than Pratt or Lawrence, and I like Pratt and Lawrence much much more than I like Sheen. But don't mind me much. I find I am in a funny mood these days.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 30th, 2016, 3:24 pm #748

Many times remakes are awful however I have to say I had fun memories of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and we watched it on Christmas Day because I really had no football games or parades I wanted to see. And it wasn't nearly as good as I remember. Lee Marvin was Liberty Valance and Jimmy Stewart was the hero and after much rather mediocre acting why most of the cast including Andy Devine Liberty was shot down by Jimmy Stewart and that was that. And it really wasn't very amazing.

I haven't seen the original Magnificent Seven in many years although I'm sure I saw it sometime after its original release. This movie needed edited it was somewhat too long but like I said it was rewarding as Western and I really like the cast a lot. Denzel Washington is amazing in that he can seem to take on any role and do it justice. Ethan Hawke is an interesting actor as well but there was an Asian guy who was quite good I don't even know his name and the fellow who was an Indian he is actually an Alaskan Indian is downright gorgeous and he was super in the role. I also have always liked Vincent d'onofrio's quirky ways and he is working in this one as well.

tgir
Site Admin

December 30th, 2016, 5:45 pm #749

I have fond memories of seeing The Magnificent Seven with my family at the drive in and many times since. It's been a few years since I've seen Libert Valance but I do like it. Big Jimmy Stewart fan.

At my house it is Vincent de Creepio. Not fans...

Krystal
Site Admin

December 30th, 2016, 6:33 pm #750

I can't remember when I saw the original movie but I know my parents really liked westerns and horror films and they took me from the time I was very small. I haven't seen the original Magnificent Seven for many years I'll have to look for it on Sundance or retro. I was able to record the original Westworld
And may watch it over the holiday to see how it Stacks up to the show. I've always liked action movies and remember the ones with Richard Burton and David Niven. I used to think Richard Burton was the sexiest man alive until I saw him live in the theater with Elizabeth Taylor in Virginia Woolf. He had a force about him in The Bluest Eyes that you could see and her eyes were so violent they were quite a pair. But I guess by then I was old enough to not think he was sexy anymore. But still a great actor.

I like Vincent D'Onofrio a lot but a lot of people think he's creepy and I know my mother-in-law really like the law and order but wouldn't watch Criminal Intent because she thought he was too weird.

Regarding the new movies I really haven't liked any Star Wars movies other than the original too so I'm not in any hurry to see this one. As far as passengers go I really do not like either lead I haven't liked anything Jennifer Lawrence has been in and I don't like the male actor either so I won't be in a hurry to see that. Of course since we only rent movies anyhow being in a hurry is all relative anyway.