Dax
Site Admin

December 1st, 2014, 10:38 pm #511

Strongly disagree with Krystal, re: Wolf of Wall Street. It's long (a minute shy of three hours), and if you've seen Goodfellas, the narrative arc is... remarkably similar, yes, but... I wasn't bored for a minute of it, and some of it is great, great fun. You may wish for the characters to receive more of a comeuppance than they do, but... I liked it a lot.
Last edited by Dax on December 1st, 2014, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 2nd, 2014, 1:02 am #512

I just taped it because there is not much on TV wise.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 2nd, 2014, 3:59 am #513

Actually second half of the movie was better. The characters were despicable however...

Krystal
Site Admin

December 16th, 2014, 4:40 am #514

Renting movies, nothing to watch. Joe, with Nick Cage. Depressing but the best Cage has done in a long while.

The Giver, maybe one for you Gate. Sci-fi, futuristic. I likes it a lot. Big cast, Meryl Strep, Katy Holmes, the guy who plays Eric on TB (in a very non Eric role). Anyhow, thought provoking and not stupid as many of the genre are.

blosslover
Site Admin

December 16th, 2014, 4:44 pm #515

The movie "The Giver" I hope is pretty close to the YA book it is based upon that came out in the 90. It is the first book I ever read that was Dystopian, as I read it before 1984 and this other novel I'm spacing on the title about, but that was similar to 1984, but in another "utopia" society gone horribly wrong that we read in school.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 16th, 2014, 10:09 pm #516

Dax, you are the only person I know that like Wolf, and I know at least 10 people who saw it. People said is was "boring, redundant, or gross". I think my review was rather kindish. Anyhow, different strokes....

Reviews of The Giver seemed to think it followed the book rather closely but I did not read it. I used to read a ton of Sci Fi and certainly 1984, and others not so memorable. But I left the genre quite a few years ago. I think the last Sci Fi I read was Dune (which I liked a lot). I am not big on time travel (in fact I hate it), and end of world shit, or dystopias so that takes a big chunk of sci fi out.

I am desperate for good Sci Fi movies but there are not many, same with horror.

Anyhow, I thought it was a good movie for the subject. I thought it was well done. They did spend some bucks on the cast for sure. I usually rent everything Sci Fi and some are so bad we can't get through half of them.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 31st, 2014, 3:42 pm #517

Rented the Equalizer. I loved it. Pretty violent but unique ways of dispatching the Russian mob. Denzel at his bad boy best . Tops Liam Neeson any day.

tgir
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2015, 1:18 am #518

Went to see Into the Woods today. I cannot compare it to the Broadway production because, well, I don't live where there's any good professional musical productions within reasonable driving distance. I really enjoyed it. I have a bone to pick but it is really with the genre and not this particular rendition.
[+] Spoiler
1. They kill off mothers.
2. Women are punished for indiscretions while men are not, at least not obviously punished. See #1
3. I felt the Wolf was a bit more sexual than it should be, albeit still pretty mild, but implied, mostly by Red, after her rescue.
These will not come as a surprise to anyone but I am mentioning nonetheless.

I will say that I appreciate that the cast sang their own roles.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 2nd, 2015, 4:33 am #519

Yeah I am not happy that my school's doing an Into the Woods adaptation. It needs context, and I wanted to write a couple extra scenes but it didn't work out with Sleeping Beauty last year so I have little hope.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

January 6th, 2015, 11:13 pm #520

I'm kinda surprised your school would DO Into the Woods... somebody sneak that past the higher-ups?...

Oh, it doesn't need any scenes added for context... don't we hope the audience is sophisticated enough to 'get it'?...