Dax
Site Admin

August 25th, 2014, 5:10 am #491

Haven't gotten to it yet, but hopefully Mom & I will get to a matinee someday after school before its run ends...

>> I am sure there will be a next.

Yup. Guardians 2 is already on the schedule for 7/28/17... (but Avengers 2 is 'next', next May, and there'll be four other Marvel movies before the Guardians sequel...)

Dax
Site Admin

September 3rd, 2014, 4:56 am #492

Bad thing - I have caught a cold.

Good thing - I was off yesterday and caught Guardians of the Galaxy with my Mom. Enjoyed it.

Fun to see Sean Gunn (Kirk from Gilmore Girls, and brother of director James) as Michael Rooker's guy (and the credits said he was also the on-set stand-in for Rocket...).

tgir
Site Admin

September 3rd, 2014, 5:00 am #493

Dax, glad you caught Guardians but not so glad about catching the cold. Take care of yourself: push clear (nonalcoholic) fluids and rest!

Krystal
Site Admin

September 3rd, 2014, 9:45 pm #494

Oculus, a littlw weird but I liked it. Haunted mirror.... not too gory for this type of movie, minimal special effects, no aliens...

Krystal
Site Admin

September 10th, 2014, 11:25 pm #495

White House Down, pretty bad. Channing Tatum saving the world this time. I don't even like him.
Also Jamie Fox as president, James Wood as a villan, Maggie G as head of secret service. So good cast but terrible writing. Oh and Dax, the redhead from Dome played the Tatum's character's ex wife.

blosslover
Site Admin

September 11th, 2014, 12:12 am #496

Saw White House Down in a discount theater last summer. It wasn't a great movie, but it was entertaining for the genre. I think seeing it on a big screen was part of the appeal, as I tend to be a lot more critical of them if I watch them on a television screen.

tgir
Site Admin

September 12th, 2014, 7:34 pm #497

Hubby wanted to see Blue Jasmine on his birthday so I agreed. I must say that it wasn't what either of us expected. I really didn't like it and thought it was very misogynistic.

We also finally saw Saving Mr. Banks which was pretty good but not great. Interesting to get a behind the scenes look at the movie and the books but I suspect highly whitewashed.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

September 12th, 2014, 11:19 pm #498

>>>>>highly whitewashed.

yep. I really dislike Disney, for lots of specific reasons and on general principle. Let's start with the godawful personal life of the author and her messed up relationship with her adopted son. The one never mentioned in the movie. And how she separated identical twins at birth because she didn't want two. WTFF

Helen Goff is a fascinating, complicated, deeply flawed person and I would enjoy a movie about her, not that crap in SMB.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/1048 ... avers.html
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

September 13th, 2014, 2:19 am #499

To be fair: and it is hard to be fair--adoption, twins, child rearing and all of that was thought of in a much different way back then compared with now. My father's cousin and her husband were unable to have children of their own; I believe that there were miscarriages and/or a newborn who died but not completely sure. Anyway, she and her husband adopted a son. My father's opinion--and really, the entire extended family's opinion was that he wasn't their 'real' son and that he should be very, very, very grateful to the adoptive (only well to do members of my family) parents, who frankly never seemed other than to be doting, loving parents. I think it bothered my father to know that he, with no genetic ties to the family, would inherit some family property. On the other hand, what I remember of the kid was that he wasn't an especially nice kid. I have no idea how much of that perception was colored by my father's disapproval. My uncle married a woman with 3 children and they never had children together. Clearly, my uncle regarded his step children as his children although he never adopted them--that would not have been done as their own father was living (and an abusive SOB) and you don't turn your back on blood no matter how abusive ratbastard SOBs they are. He didn't think very highly of the kids when they were grown and while we were almost like siblings when we were growing up, my dad did have a point. One cousin basically stole my uncle's estate, such as it was. They were really much more interested in the (very small amount) money than in my uncle whom I loved dearly but who was not a warm and fuzzy kind of dad. He would have died for them, and killed for them but he wasn't really a warm and fuzzy person.

Marg
Site Admin

September 14th, 2014, 11:37 pm #500

I saw the previews of Saving Mr. Banks some time ago, and decided it wasn't a movie for me. It would be interesting to get a movie about Helen herself, but I am not at all interested in the making of the movie Mary Poppins.

Last week, I saw Philip Seymour Hoffman's last film - A Most Wanted Man. Hoffman plays a very convincing disillusioned spymaster working in Hamburg after 9/11. The movie was good, but not great. I thought Hoffman's performance was brilliant, but some of the others, not so much so. The ending had an interesting twist.
Last edited by Marg on September 14th, 2014, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.