Dax
Site Admin

January 1st, 2014, 12:59 am #431

Anxious to see The Way Way Back - expect I'll like it a lot.

I liked both 2 Days films a lot. Super-anxious to see Before Midnight... the darned dvd is never cheap enough...

Cloverfield is great for what it is, that monster-movie-via-found-footage. It's fine to not like that gimmick, but if you go with it... it did that very well.

No complaints about World War Z... liked it considerably more than I thought I would. You said 'unoriginal' before... well, sure. Zombie movies have been done. This was another of them. But they did some new things with the effects, and the global scale did differentiate it a lot from any of the Romeros or The Walking Dead, or... (but okay, the global VIRUS movie has been done a bunch, too...).

Different Frozen than you're thinking of (I haven't seen that one yet).

Different Django than you're thinking of (though that one - Django Unchained - I loved a lot, last year).

-

>> I'd do a list but I am beyond terrible at remembering whether I saw a film this year or last or 3 years ago and I would certainly leave off half.

Start one for this year - write it down, you don't HAVE to remember... just remember to write one down when you see it... (I write mine in a calendar...)

We put a lot of our movie-watching histories up here, but might forget or get too busy to, sometimes... (I don't think I'd posted about having seen the 2 Days films...)

Last edited by Dax on January 1st, 2014, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 1st, 2014, 5:34 am #432

Ok. The company you keep. Redford at 74 or whatever having an 11 year old daughter. Please. Otherwise a fairly thoughtful if slow moving show with a great cast.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 1st, 2014, 4:31 pm #433

I highly highly recommend CBGB. Not many reviewers have like it. It has a lot of flaws. But if you think of it as an overview of an amazing moment and place in music, and don't expect much depth, but more of 'the sense' of the place and time, you will enjoy it.

But if you don't like punk at all, then skip it. Imo, it's worth it just for the litany of re-enactments of the births of some famous careers. I laughed out loud a lot, such as when Talking Heads frontman David Byrne introduces the band the very first time they play onstage.

Dax, think of it as the "Treme" of the punk world, and you'll see the similarities. Amazing cast, very visual, lots of music.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

January 1st, 2014, 4:34 pm #434

We watched RED2 last night. Helen Mirren stole the entire thing. Maybe it was just that I wasn't in the right mood but mostly, it just fell flat, except for Mirren. I can't believe I am writing this because I never thought I would ever write this but John Malkovich was not very good. Anthony Hopkins was only ok. Gasp. This is shocking to me. I thought the rest of the cast lacked commitment, although there is a bit of naked man eye candy in the form of Byung-hun Lee who acquitted himself very well. This film embraced the comic book genre and I don't think in a good way. I am always willing to suspend enormous amounts of disbelief for this sort of film but the end was just stupid and made zero sense.

First one was better although Mirren was fabulous and seems to have been having lots of fun.

blosslover
Site Admin

January 1st, 2014, 6:02 pm #435

I though the first Red was a lot better than Red2. It felt like they were trying too hard, which made it seem like they weren't trying at all.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 1st, 2014, 8:30 pm #436

I thought the first one was bad enough and didn't consider the second one. Good cast but terrible material.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 3rd, 2014, 6:23 pm #437

We rented "Promised Land", another Damon movie. Also thought provoking, about fracking in Pa. KMI, would enjoy your thoughts on this if you ever see it. The first scenes were at the Grand Concourse in Pittsburgh, then moved out to fracking country which in this movie was Avonmoore Pa, East of Pgh.
Fracking is going on all over, and I am hearing some horror stores about flaming water etc, while others are happy for the money. The movie really doesn't let us know what ends up happening with the town. It is worth seeing.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 4th, 2014, 7:06 pm #438

I will check it out. This is an issue about which I am very ignorant, considering where I am and what I do. It doesn't help that I was specifically asked NOT to bring this issue up in class.

I am hearing stories from both sides. Most of the folks I know are very happy. I know of at least three family farms that have been saved with frack-money (people who work and have hobby farms/inherited the family farm), and one career. A parent, involved in the fracking industry, explained that the the housing industry, digging foundations, generates as much 'naturally occurring radiation' as fracking ever does.

I hesitate to side with big business (I have The Lorax in my head at the moment*) but the people I hear with complaints and concerns are always second or third hand, and outsiders to the communities. I am sure there ARE such people with first person accounts of problems and horror stories, and need to seek them out.

I also need to see Gasland (anti-fracking) and FrackNation (pro).

If you can believe Forbes mag: http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspecul ... ropaganda/

From a conservative site... http://freebeacon.com/gasland-director- ... -new-film/
Which makes the same claim as a student - well water was often ignitable....because of surface leaching of methane. The Gasland director admits that area farmers said it's been happening for 60 years, before fracking ever took place - he didn't think it was 'relevant to the movie' to report that fact. Apparently it's not uncommon. I have no idea what that means regarding the health and safety of the water in general in those places for decades.

I, the Once-ler, felt sad
as I watched them all go.
BUT…
business is business!
And business must grow
regardless of crummies in tummies, you know.

I meant no harm. I most truly did not.
But I had to grow bigger. So bigger I got.
I biggered my factory. I biggered my roads.
I biggered my wagons. I biggered the loads
of the Thneeds I shipped out. I was shipping them forth
to the South! To the East! To the West! To the North!
I went right on biggering… selling more Thneeds.
And I biggered by money, which everyone needs.
Last edited by KMInfinity on January 4th, 2014, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

January 4th, 2014, 7:47 pm #439

Love The Lorax. Love reading Dr. Seuss to kids. I do that a lot.

I use the same voice for The Lorax as I use for the fish in The Cat in the Hat.
(And, come to think of it, my Once-ler and the Cat are pretty similar, too... creepy and evil-sounding...)

Sigh.

Between this here on fracking and the stuff KMI wrote about animal shelters... and SeaWorld's rebuttal to Blackfish... gosh, I think I much prefer issues on which I'm more 'absolute'... I mean, middle ground is great, and it's always good to hear (or be able to say) 'That's an excellent point, but...', but when you find yourself more and more torn on something AFTER you learn more about it... that 'near-total ignorance' thing starts to look better and better sometimes.

'How do you feel about _____?'

'I don't know.'

Doesn't sound very smart, but there's a comfort zone there....

This is why I choose to talk about tv and movies so much. It's just easier.

Last edited by Dax on January 4th, 2014, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 4th, 2014, 8:13 pm #440

Dax wrote:This is why I choose to talk about tv and movies so much. It's just easier.
Yes. One of my students said the more she learns, the less she knows. I said that's the definition of wisdom. But it's tough. I try to remind myself that I cannot save the world, but I can teach some kids who might be that one... And I tell them that. Teenaged boys have been known to cry after one of my classes.

So that's my out.

And yes, coming here to discuss TV is SOOOOO MUCH easier and more fun. :-)