Krystal
Site Admin

September 17th, 2013, 3:30 pm #391

Rented a couple blockbusters. The Star Trek movie was not as good as the last one. Too much special effects, too long, and not enough depth. Why do they do this? For the 10 year olds who have no attention span, or is that most people now? I think they nailed the characters with the new cast, so too bad, could have been better. I did love the few minutes of Nimoy in there. God, can't believe he and Shatner are 80+now, and some of the cast is gone...

Olympus is Falling, better than I expected. But a stupid premise, that a president or anyone would let the world end to save his family. If the world ended, wouldn't matter much would it?
Last edited by Krystal on September 17th, 2013, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blosslover
Site Admin

September 17th, 2013, 3:51 pm #392

Maybe for some people Star Trek is for watching at the movies to see the special effects. They do that for the sake of those people who are willing to pay to see it in 3D and/or IMAX especially as those tickets are expensive. That said I think the play on The Wrath of Khan was in there for the fans.

Krystal
Site Admin

November 8th, 2013, 12:56 am #393

We rented WW Z. It was OK but for all the money they spent could have been way better. I've seen some much less expensive films come off as more interesting. But if you like zombies, it is OK.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

November 8th, 2013, 2:55 am #394

Going to see Ender's Game this weekend. I've read the series a couple times, and have taught the book a few times, so I'm pretty psyched.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Krystal
Site Admin

November 8th, 2013, 9:25 pm #395

I think I will read the book.

We rented "Frozen Ground". Nick Cage, better than his usual and better than I thought it would be.
About a serial killer in Alaska set in the 80's. Anchorage, a real shit hole of a town (still is).

blosslover
Site Admin

November 9th, 2013, 5:51 am #396

Watched my copy of Monsters University...the Pixar short beforehand was swoon worthy.

Dax
Site Admin

November 9th, 2013, 6:26 pm #397

Yeah. The Blue Umbrella is incredible. Love it a lot...

tgir
Site Admin

November 10th, 2013, 2:59 pm #398

Haven't seen all of the Pixar films that have come out--including Monsters. Will keep it in mind. I must say that I love and adore the shorts that are shown with Pixar works. Small works of art.

Saw Gravity which was really good. I even saw it in 3D, which I don't usually do. But 3D has improved so dramatically that it was worth it, especially for this film. I would recommend seeing it on the biggest screen possible and in 3D. IMO, the main character was space itself.

Also saw Captain Phillips, which was really good. Based on a true story, it was very suspenseful although the ultimate ending was well known. Hanks was superb, as was Barkhad Abdi.

Krystal
Site Admin

November 10th, 2013, 6:57 pm #399

Captain Phillips is on my list (to rent of course), several people have liked it a lot.

Krystal
Site Admin

November 20th, 2013, 8:30 pm #400

Killing Season, with DeNiro and Travolta. Really bad. Travolta was awful. He played a Serbian going after an American GI (DeNiro) who had shot him. His accent was HORRIBLE. He was AWFUL. This movie really sucked.