Krystal
Site Admin

August 28th, 2013, 8:34 pm #381

The Call with Halle Berry, pretty good suspense. Halle is a 911 operator.

Dax
Site Admin

September 1st, 2013, 8:16 pm #382

Some movies on Netflix...

Hostel Part III (was a direct-to-video in 2011) - Nothing special, except the novelty of it taking place in Vegas... a few familiar faces - Chris Coy from Treme, John Hensley from Nip/Tuck...

House at the End of the Street (2012) - I love Jennifer Lawrence, I think she's very pretty and cool. Elisabeth Shue, Max Thieriot from Bates Motel, I like him, he's good...

Going to watch The Poker House (2008), with Lawrence (first major film role) and Selma Blair (I've always liked her) next, but I got distracted by an old bit of unfinished viewing (Poker House is written and directed by actress Lori Petty, who appears in the thing I'm watching now) ... the silly-but-mostly-fun Fox series Prison Break ended four years ago, but there was a two-episode straight-to-dvd epilogue that I never got around to renting (dvd had the subtitle 'The Final Break', but the episodes were titled 'The Old Ball and Chain' and 'Free'). Krystal said she rented it a few months after the series ended...

Kinda fun to hear the music again... fun seeing the series' semi-good-guys-win scenario quickly become another 'we have to do another prison break', this time for Sara... the women prison brings OrangeITNB to mind... Kim Coates (Tig on SOA) is in it, and Dot Marie-Jones from Glee...
Last edited by Dax on September 1st, 2013, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marg
Site Admin

September 2nd, 2013, 12:10 am #383

I finally got around to seeing The Life of Pi. Thought the cinematography and visual effects were excellent. But not so sure about the storyline.....I didn't particularly like the ending. I know it's suppose to leave you wondering which story was true, but that just didn't do it for me.
Last edited by Marg on September 2nd, 2013, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

September 2nd, 2013, 3:03 am #384

The Poker House good but a real downer (three poor sisters, Mom's a whore).

Dax
Site Admin

September 7th, 2013, 6:59 pm #385

Like Crazy (2011)

Romantic drama depicting the relationship between an American guy (Anton Yelchin) and an English girl (Felicity Jones) directed by Drake Doremus (and co-written by he and Ben York Jones). These nice young people fall in love and pay a steep price for ignoring the expiration of her student visa.

Very well-acted, especially considering much of the material was unscripted/improvised... I liked the situation, and I liked that the alternative love interests while the couple is apart (Jennifer Lawrence is his; I've just done a three-film marathon of her stuff) are entirely sympathetic and not at all cast as villainous obstacles... I think it's a rare film that can express both the 'happiness' of a new love affair AND the pain involved in keeping (or letting go of) that relationship. Neat little movie.

Jones and the writers/director have another film coming called Breathe In (with Guy Pearce, Amy Ryan, and Kyle MacLachlan) - I will want to see that, too...
Last edited by Dax on September 7th, 2013, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blosslover
Site Admin

September 8th, 2013, 12:58 am #386

I finally saw The Descendants--HBO is free on demand this weekend and that was one of the movies available.

(Also binge watching The Newsroom...trying to get through all 17 episodes available then all I'd have missed were the last two of the first season so I'll just read summaries...)

Dax
Site Admin

September 8th, 2013, 1:02 am #387

bl - doesn't sound like you could be missing any of The Newsroom ... ten in the first season... seven in the second have aired, #8 is on tomorrow... you'll miss next week's finale, but that's it...

I haven't seen The Descendants yet. I'll get to it...

-

Compliance (2012)

Well-made account of the unbelievable-but-true series of fast food phone calls and sexual assaults I first heard about on a fascinating episode of 20/20. In 2004, a Kentucky McDonald's manager answered her work phone, and the voice on the other end identified himself as a police officer and reported that one of her employees was suspected of committing a theft an hour earlier. The girl is strip searched. Four employees allow this to happen, because a voice on the phone is telling them it has to. Horrifically, the manager's boyfriend (not an employee) is recruited to 'guard' the victim, and this goes on for over three hours...

It doesn't make any sense, and it's all true (while the film has fictionalized elements, it is very close to what really happened).

The film's writer/director (Craig Zobel) was raked over the coals at its Sundance premiere, but I don't think that's fair... he's not the criminal... while extremely uncomfortable and icky, this IS good story grist... it's just astonishing that the prank caller (who was arrested, almost certainly guilty, and - sigh - acquitted of all charges) got away with this... and not just once, but, like, with variations, some SEVENTY times...

It's absolutely insane and tragic that this could ever happen, but since it did, I'm glad a movie was made of it.

All of the performances are good - Dreama Walker (Don't Trust the B, The Good Wife) is the victim, Ann Dowd is the manager, Pat Healy is the caller, Ashlie Atkinson (Rescue Me) is another employee...
Last edited by Dax on September 8th, 2013, 1:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

tgir
Site Admin

September 8th, 2013, 2:34 pm #388

Saw The Butler. Pretty successful film and an interesting/painful for someone who remembers the Civil Rights Movement revisit of an awful period of U.S. history. Really good performances, especially by Terrance Howard (no surprise) and Oprah Winfrey, who was not afraid to be seen as a less than admirable character. I can see why there is some negative comparison of the film to Forrest Gump, as both films trace a long period of U.S. history over the course of one person's life time. The Butler does this and skims the surface mostly, and uses the relationship between Cecil Gaines and his older son to illustrate the divide within the black community. I cannot fault Forest Whitaker if most of his performance feels very surface. His role was that of a man who must wear two faces: one with his family and a different one at work in a way that is far more profound than what most people must do today. Or ever, really, since the Civil Rights Movement.

I think that the film perhaps invested a lot of energy in casting well known actors in the roles of key former Presidents, simply to show that the actors could do a passable Nixon, LBJ, etc. For the record, Robin Williams was quite good as Eisenhower. I had read bad reviews of John Cusack as Nixon but I thought he was fine. They should have done a Nixon hair cut, though. I don't understand why they did not. I thought Liev Schreiber rather chewed scenery as LBJ. James Marsden and Minka Kelly were mythically beautiful as the Kennedys. Jane Fonda is much more interesting than Nancy Regan could have ever hoped to have been and wasn't able to suppress that part of her personality but it is hard to fault her for that. In fact, it was a relief. She could have gone caricature very easily but did not. I understand why so many actors wanted to be part of the project but wonder if a)the film might have carried more weight if they had gone with actors who are less well known but still good and capable of portraying iconic roles albeit briefly b)the famous named actors were cast partially to ensure that more audience members would come. I admit I wanted to see how that would work.

There is an interesting and effective bit where scenes from black students, including Gaines's son were being bullied, beaten and arrested for sitting at a whites only lunch counter while Gaines was serving at a black tie state dinner.

Here's an interesting article/interview with Lee Daniels: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Lee-Dani ... 39031.html

I recommend seeing it, if for no other reason than that there need to be more films made about this difficult era in the US, especially told from the perspective of black people. Also, I will throw my movie dollars at any film that casts certain actors.

Last edited by tgir on September 8th, 2013, 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

September 8th, 2013, 8:16 pm #389

Really wanted to see this today. Too bad 'old' car has bitten the dust.
iii
iii
iii

Krystal
Site Admin

September 8th, 2013, 11:59 pm #390

I will see it one of these days. I agree, I would rather seen unknown actors playing the characters, as I ttend to think, "Oh that is ..... whoever, famous" instead of the character. Really important times, and a lot of youngsters are so ignorant of the era.

Re Fonda, hard not to have more personality than Nancy, for sure.