Krystal
Site Admin

March 31st, 2013, 12:39 am #331

I loved Argo. I was in my post-doc program with all these Middle Eastern people, we had a big exchange program. I was scheduled to lecture in Tehran after completing my program. Then the shit hit the fan. Many were Iranians who got stuck here because they woud have been jailed if they went back. Iranians are nice people, it is too bad their leadership is so fucked up.

Zero Dark, I thought it was dull...

I'll try the Master too..

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

March 31st, 2013, 12:09 pm #332

Watched 'The Notebook' last night with my daughter. She had seen it ... I had not. Probably not the best choice of movies to watching with my mother dying recently from dementia but it was good ... it was cute ... it was predictable.

Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Dax
Site Admin

March 31st, 2013, 3:30 pm #333

That's a good movie. But yes. For those who love those afflicted with Alzheimer's, it's a lot of solid punches to your gut.

tgir
Site Admin

April 2nd, 2013, 1:08 pm #334

I saw The Notebook in theaters. I'm a bigbig James Garner fan--childhood and forward crush, and frankly, he was the draw for me to go see the film, because he does so little film work--or work at all in recent years, but this film made me realize exactly how talented he is, not just how good looking and charming and appealing. And fell in love with the entire cast. Of course, the scenes with Gena Rowlands made me just cry. My mother had dementia which eventually killed her, as dementia is fatal. Not Alzheimers. I will insert my plug here that despite what most popular media likes to make you believe and what I am convinced the Alzheimer's Association would like you to believe, not all dementia is Alzheimer's, which can be definitively diagnosed only after death, which is rarely done. Mom's dementia was the result of a stroke she suffered at age 42; dementia did not set in (that I noticed and I was the first of her daughters to admit to seeing it) until her late 50's--about 14 years after her stroke. My father left my mother a few years after the stroke, when she was about as recovered as she ever was.

James Garner/Duke stayed with Gena Rowlands/Allie. Which made me weep, but also feel so glad, so hopeful. Not everyone does leave if you get dementia. It was quite a romantic portrayal of dementia, and of the effects on a relationship. But of course, we came for the romance.

Last edited by tgir on April 2nd, 2013, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 17th, 2013, 4:53 am #335

Just rented the Campaign, one of the better Ferrel films. Not great but good for some laughs.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 28th, 2013, 8:48 pm #336

Jack Reacher, this was OK but Cruise ruined it for me. I read the books and Reacher is 6'5" not a Scientologist midget. It was filmed in Pittsburgh which was anothe plus. Mostly an action flick, not too stupid with the action though. Cazeviel (sp?) should have had this role, or the guy from Hell on Wheels, or even jason Statham. Maybe Daniel Criag. Not Cruise.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

May 28th, 2013, 9:39 pm #337

Yeah all my Lee Childs fans are irritated. I have the first book on my shelf...
iii
iii
iii

Krystal
Site Admin

May 29th, 2013, 4:23 pm #338

"The Impossible", a many hankie sort of action movie. Really good acting. Natural disaster, family has to find each other. Not my usual but enjoyed it.

Dax
Site Admin

May 29th, 2013, 4:56 pm #339

>> Really good acting

Naomi Watts was up for a Best Actress Oscar for it.

My Mom loved it. I'm anxious to see it...

Krystal
Site Admin

May 30th, 2013, 1:48 am #340

Watts was very very good. Poor thing probably got beat up some in the filming and looked like crap the whole 2 hours. No glamour there. The oldest boy actor was really outstanding as well. We'll see more of this kid.