tgir
Site Admin

March 19th, 2013, 7:56 pm #321

Saw The Master which was very, very strange and disconcerting. Excellent performances by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams, Laura Dern. Joaquin Phoenix's performance was just strange. I'm sure it was brilliant, but so strange that I found it hard to watch.

I also saw The Great and Powerful Oz which I would give a solid B to B+. That said, I agree with the following:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... ffect.html

Some nice touches. Franco is a bit detached/cynical, I think, to capture the mood for the classic. But some very nice touches along the way. Good performances, although I have yet to fall in love with Michelle Williams on any level. I felt nothing for her. Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz and Zack Braff were great. Not explained is why (prophecy aside) Oz needed a MAN to rescue it and exactly what the conflict was.

Dax
Site Admin

March 19th, 2013, 9:36 pm #322

I've probably seen more negative than positive reviews for Oz at this point (but they haven't deterred me from wanting to see it for myself or thinking I might like it...).

Really anxious to see The Master. Next week, I think... down to just one job and off for spring break, I ought to have time to take the dvr off the critical list, catch up on the hulu backlog, AND watch two or three movies....

tgir
Site Admin

March 19th, 2013, 11:39 pm #323

What I liked about Oz is that I think it is ok for children (probably not very young children, but elementary age and up) to see. There are really good moments. I think it is unrealistic to believe that this would approach the original film. It is good. Not great but good.

Krystal
Site Admin

March 22nd, 2013, 3:21 pm #324

Argo. Wow I loved it. Great cast, great acting, great sl. Very tense, had you on edge of your seat. Kudos to Affleck on all counts.

Krystal
Site Admin

March 30th, 2013, 12:22 am #325

Zero Dark Thirty, didn't like it. Too long, hard to follow, then when it came to the Seal part, so dark you didn't know WTF was going on.

tgir
Site Admin

March 30th, 2013, 1:22 am #326

Zero Dark Thirty is on my list to see someday...... but I am not in a hurry. It's more because it is supposed to be such a great film than anything. Of course, that's what they said about The Master, and I didn't care much for that. Thought Argo was great. And since I actually lived in Wash. D.C. and was working for an Arab embassy at the time the events depicted in Argo happened, well, it was interesting to see this film version. Lots of stuff the public never knew. All I remember knowing is that the Canadians helped rescue some of the Americans (and I am still grateful, Canada!). Very nice job with that film.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

March 30th, 2013, 2:05 am #327

Loved Argo!!! My kid just watched it and she loved it too.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

tgir
Site Admin

March 30th, 2013, 4:03 pm #328

On Netflix and worth watching: Charlie Bartlett. Rich kid gets kicked out of his final private school and is sent to a public high school for the first time where he learns to fit in and make friends by acting as a de facto psychiatrist, also providing his fellow students with meds which he gets from the various psychiatrists his mother sends him to. Things go right/wrong, etc.

Robert Downey JR is the principal. Which makes it worth seeing all on its own.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

March 30th, 2013, 4:06 pm #329

tgir wrote:Robert Downey JR is the principal. Which makes it worth seeing all on its own.
Enough said. It is on my list. Thanks tgir. ;)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Dax
Site Admin

March 30th, 2013, 4:26 pm #330

It's funny to me sometimes after being on facebook so much... You see the line about Downey and start moving your finger to the 'like'... and we don't have one of those....