Krystal
Site Admin

February 25th, 2013, 1:45 am #301

Have the Oscars on, so far it sucks. MacFarlane is really bad, writing is terrible.
Last edited by Krystal on February 25th, 2013, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

February 25th, 2013, 6:58 am #302

Enjoyed the show.

Only Pic nominee shut out was Beasts of the Southern Wild.

4 - Life of Pi - Cinematography, Visual Effects, Score, Director.
3 - Les Miserables - Sound Mixing, Makeup/Hair, Supporting Actress.
3 - Argo - Editing, Adapted Screenplay, Picture.
2 - Django Unchained - Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay.
2 - Lincoln - Production Design, Actor.
1 - Amour - Foreign.
1 - Zero Dark Thirty - Sound Editing (tie).
1 - Silver Linings Playbook - Actress.
and
2 - Skyfall - Sound Editing (tie), Song.
1 - Brave - Animated Feature.
1 - Anna Karenina - Costume.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

February 25th, 2013, 7:44 am #303

Watched the show. I didnt hate it as much as the Franco/Hathaway disaster but I didnt like it either. Nice to see a variety of winners.

tgir
Site Admin

February 25th, 2013, 12:29 pm #304

I want to see Perks, someday. I actually liked Skyfall, except for the end, actually.

I am still not sure how I feel about Beasts. I think I saw it while I was in the wrong mood. I mean, it's wonderful, yes, but not an easy film. She is wonderful, beautiful, etc.

Saw the tiniest smidge of Oscars, but it included Jennifer Lawrence's trip/win/speech and a follow up interview. She is so great. Hope Hollywood doesn't eat her alive. And that she starts a trend of actresses who are down to earth and have their heads screwed on decently.

Marg
Site Admin

February 25th, 2013, 6:48 pm #305

I watched the Oscars -- didn't really like Seth MacFarlane's opening -- thought it was too long and silly.

Not sure that I agree with Argo being selected as Best Picture; thought Lincoln was a better movie. Although I do like Ben Affleck and thought he did deserve some recognition. Was not surprised that Daniel Day Lewis won Best Actor.

I have not seen Silver Linings Playbook, so won't comment on Jennifer Lawrence's win. Although I know Anne Hathway is a favorite, IMO, Sally Field was excellent in Lincoln and deserved the Supporting Actress nod.

Still want to see Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook. Not sure about Beasts of the Southern Wild., and I have no interest in Skyfall.
Last edited by Marg on February 25th, 2013, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 25th, 2013, 7:07 pm #306

I want to see Lincoln, Zero Dark and Argo, that's about it. Saw Skyfall and I thought it sucked, though Flight was very good. I thought MacFarlane sucked, opening needed editing really badly. I though Lawrence was good in Winter's Bone but thought very average in the Hunger Games, but then I didn't like the movie much.

I would not see Mis if they tied me to the seat. I hate tear jerkers and romantic movies so I doubt I see any of the others.

I though Lawrence's dress was totally stupid for a young woman and obviously she couldn't handle it. I thought Jessicsa C's dress was too pale and washed out, but thought she should have won for Zero dark, though I have to admit I haven't seen either movie. Fonda looked like some giant geriatric lemon. Theron looked fab as usual and I loved Halle Berry's almost Sci Fi look, and of course the First lady was biggest hit in the show.

I saw the first 1/2 hour which was painful, then we watched 7 Pyschopaths (meh), and since the show was still on, the last 15 minutes.

Last edited by Krystal on February 25th, 2013, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

February 25th, 2013, 7:21 pm #307

Daniel Day-Lewis is the first actor to win three Best Actor awards (the other two are for My Left Foot and There Will Be Blood). He's one of six to have three or more Oscars (tying Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson, Ingrid Bergman, and Walter Brennan; Katharine Hepburn won four).

Argo is the first film to win Picture without its director being nominated since Driving Miss Daisy in 1989 (and it's only happened twice before that - Wings in 1927 and Grand Hotel in 1932).

Emmanuelle Riva (85) is the oldest nominated Best Actress (Jessica Tandy, 80, was the oldest winner for Driving Miss Daisy).

Quvenzhane Wallis (9 - but she was 6 when it was filmed!) is the youngest nominated Best Actress (Marlee Matlin, 21, was the youngest winner for Children of a Lesser God in 1986).

Silver Linings Playbook is the first film since Reds in 1981 to be nominated in all four acting categories (then, it was Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, and Maureen Stapleton, who won Supporting Actress; now, it's Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, Jennifer Lawrence, who won Actress, and Jacki Weaver).

Kind of a 'Wow, can this be right?' - Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln is the first winning performance from a Steven Spielberg film.

Actors from the last two consecutive films directed by Tom Hooper (King's Speech, Les Mis), Quentin Tarantino (Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained - the same guy, Christoph Waltz), and David O. Russell (The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook) have won Oscars. I'm not sure how many other directors that may be true of...

Ang Lee is the first director since George Stevens (Place in the Sun, 1951 and Giant, 1956) to win two Director Oscars for films that did not win Best Picture (Crash beat Brokeback Mountain in 2005).
Last edited by Dax on June 19th, 2013, 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dax
Site Admin

February 25th, 2013, 7:29 pm #308

I'm anxious to see Life of Pi and Silver Linings Playbook (and also Amour, Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln, but not as much so...).

I wasn't shocked by any of the winners, but was somewhat surprised Lawrence has won so soon... I guess anybody else winning might have been MORE of a surprise, but... still. My Mom is maybe the only person I know who has seen The Impossible, and she raved about Naomi Watts and was hoping she would win.

I thought all four acting winners accepted their awards graciously and came off sincerely and kind-hearted.

Last edited by Dax on February 25th, 2013, 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marg
Site Admin

February 25th, 2013, 8:13 pm #309

Oh, I forgot to mention that I would also like to see Zero Dark Thirty and Amour.

I didn't particularly like Anne Hathway's dress -- it was too pale and made her look too thin. Do agree that Halle Berry's dress and complete look was gorgeous.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 25th, 2013, 8:24 pm #310

I forgot about Impossible, I do want to see that. Hathaway needs to get another dresser or wardrobe person whatever, she wears some awful stuff and this was one of them.