Krystal
Site Admin

September 12th, 2012, 9:23 pm #261

I didn't like Loud either, in fact we didn't even watch it all.

Krystal
Site Admin

September 24th, 2012, 3:36 pm #262

We rented Cabin in the Woods, strange flick. Goes from the title place, yes, then all over the map from every moster made and manipulation of people's minds. Kind of campy or maybe just really bad? Jury is till out. Major gore for sure.

Krystal
Site Admin

November 10th, 2012, 9:00 pm #263

Finally rented Prometheus. I thought it was good but not nearly as good as the first two Alien movies. I liked the cast quite a bit. I was somewhat confused about the plot though, the humanoids created us then tried to destroy us? They didn't like how we turned out? But if they were kind and generous they'd let us be, if they were violent, they'd want to get rid of us, but then wouldn't we be just like them? They created the "aleins" as a weapon and it turned on them?

Oh and the Rapace character having her C section then continuing on to flight the Aliens was even more profoundly unbelievable than Amanda falling backwards of the stairs and her childbirth and recovery on Revenge.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 4th, 2013, 7:47 pm #264

Not getting anything current from Blockbuster so we rented "Dog Day Afternoon", Pacino. really old but still holds up very well. He is brilliant, maybe even more so than in Godfather.
Last edited by Krystal on January 4th, 2013, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 6th, 2013, 4:09 am #265

Just saw a terrific, off-beat older movie called Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing and Charm School. The ratings on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes are low, but I really enjoyed it. The plot is sort of non-linear which I don't always like, but romantic and sentimental in a good way. It veers from dramatic to weirdly comedic n a wacky way, and has a huge cast with lots of great people, starting with Robert Carlyle. Add John Goodman, Mary Steenburgen, Marisa Tomei, Wahlberg, and bit parts from a bunch of others.

Highly recommended.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

January 6th, 2013, 5:50 am #266

A short while back, I saw Two Days in Paris (2007) written by and directed by Julie Delphy who also stars, which you wouldn't think would work but it does. It's a very charming film about a French photographer and her American boyfriend who go to France to visit her family for a couple of days. P. sure I saw it on Netflix, which I am mentioning because the sequel Two Days in New York is about Marion (Delphy) who has broken up with her old boyfriend but has a child with him and is now in a relationship with a radio personality/author played by Chris Rock, who has a couple of exes and a child of his own. It's now playing on Netflix and again, is very smart and charming and funny and very French and also very American a la Woodie Allen in his coolest, most innocent form. Chris Rock is the new boyfriend and is a delight. I am mentioning this specifically because I am only a part time fan of Rock. I don't like it when he yells and gets shrill, but when he isn't that, he's so enjoyable. Delphy is a delight and I am becoming very devoted to her.

Warning: significant French dialogue in both films.

Dax
Site Admin

January 6th, 2013, 7:10 am #267

Haven't seen either of the Two Days, but want to. (Very happy Delpy and Hawke and Linklater have made a third 'Before', too; anxious to see that...).

Will have to see KMI's recommendation, too... that's a terrific cast.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

January 6th, 2013, 2:29 pm #268

Those sound like my cuppa, tgir. I'll check OnDemand...

Dax I think you will really like Marilyn Hotchkiss. There's a lot of subtlety and serious 'slice of life' but I was thinking last night the tone reminded me of Raising Arizona.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

January 23rd, 2013, 4:52 am #269

Moonrise Kingdom: Excellent. Krystal, I predict you would hate it but hubby and I both loved it. The tone was perfect. Excellent cast. It could have gone so very wrong but instead, I think it truly is a gem. Kara Hayward was perfect as Suzi, with just the right intensity in her eyes and slightly awkward, every so slightly asymmetrical face. Real genius casting there. Lots of fun people popping up, especially Tilda Swinton and Harvey Keitel. Recommend.

Dax
Site Admin

January 23rd, 2013, 5:01 am #270

I'm going to see that soon. It's sitting here on the shelf, waiting for me... I expect to love it. My Mom loved it.

(But I did get awfully tired of the 15 second preview that's been running on can't-fast-forward-through-the-ads programming On Demand that I watched a lot of over the winter break...)

Way behind on Wes Anderson, though - also have not yet seen The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Darjeeling Limited, or The Fantastic Mr. Fox. I liked Bottle Rocket a lot. I love Rushmore. I was lukewarm to/disappointed by The Royal Tenenbaums.