Dax
Site Admin

March 6th, 2012, 6:51 pm #231

I haven't seen it yet. I like a lot of Woody's work (Crimes & Misdemeanors is my favorite) and have seen most of the films... except for the last nine years or so (I'm behind, and plan to marathon through a bunch over the summer).

I love Alison Pill (from In Treatment) and can't wait to see her in The Newsroom this summer.

I kinda like spotting the Woody/Diane/Mia 'stand-ins' and evaluating performances on how well they played their given 'type' (I liked Branagh in Celebrity, and John Cusack is just perfect in Bullets Over Broadway...).

tgir
Site Admin

March 6th, 2012, 7:28 pm #232

I kinda like it but here, for me, it felt flat and tired.

Krystal
Site Admin

March 9th, 2012, 4:57 am #233

"Julia", Tilda Swinden in a great role as an alcoholic screw up who just sees her life swirling down the bowl. Really well done.

Marg
Site Admin

March 11th, 2012, 11:16 pm #234

I saw 'The Descendants" this weekend, and was quite impressed. It deals with some very tragic and weighty issues without making it all seem too melodramatic!

I agree with Tgir's review of the movie. Clooney is excellent and was worthy of an Oscar nomination. Also thought Shailene Woodley, Judy Greer (very believable in the role) and Robert Forster were very good. I can't think of any movie I have seen with Judy Greer in it.

The storyline was very realistic -- everyone deals with grief and the difficult decisions around that in a very different way. As I have been to Hawaii a couple of times; I did think the portrayal of the people and their lifestyle on the islands was very realistic. Some may find the movie rather slow moving, but I thought that made the storytelling more effective.

The photography was breathtaking!!

Krystal
Site Admin

March 31st, 2012, 5:59 pm #235

Just saw it last night and big agree with TGIR and Marg as well. Clooney was outstanding and deserved the Oscar in my opinion. No overacting, no hysterics, no car crashes, just an effective movie about seemlngly real people. No special effects needed, Hawaii is it's own special effects. Thought the older daughter was outstanding as well.

tgir
Site Admin

April 2nd, 2012, 5:55 pm #236

Glad you liked it Krystal. I really did enjoy it a great deal.

Krystal
Site Admin

April 3rd, 2012, 11:32 pm #237

Gack we just watched the remake of Footlosse. It was awful.

blosslover
Site Admin

April 4th, 2012, 3:00 am #238

Krystal why on earth would you watch the Footloose remake? That doesn't sound like something you would enjoy at all. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I have a taste for "cheese".

Krystal
Site Admin

April 4th, 2012, 5:12 am #239

I do like dance movies, and loved the original. This did not have enough dancing, the dancing was not great and the actors sucked especially the female lead who looked about 30 instead of a high schooler. (I also loved Dirty Dancing.) I even like some of the stupid band movies like Drum Line.

Krystal
Site Admin

April 4th, 2012, 5:13 am #240

Just watched Ides of march with Clooney. Mixed emotions on this one, I liked the back stabbing, or I should say thought it was true to life, but didn't think the pregnancy and the suicide (if that what is was) were consistent with the rest of the movie.