Krystal
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 11:45 pm #221

Just kidding re Martha but she couldn't have been worse than last year's painful pair.

I don't know why they can't come up with better writing for the presenters or just have them come on and present. I think most of the patter is gagsome. I can only tolerate small amounts of the show because of it.

I don't like the Ocean's films much, too cutsey for me. I'd rather see someone torn apart by an Alien, but then that's me. I used to think Clooney was just another pretty face, but grew to respect his acting. Kind of the same with Pitt, but for some reason Pitt's looks don't appeal to me at all. Obviously they appeal to Angleina and I don't think Brad would trade!

So I liked the awards for the supporting cast but not the main ones, and the Artist? All politics I think.

Dax
Site Admin

February 28th, 2012, 12:14 am #222

I don't dislike Pitt, but I do think 'movie star' more than 'great actor', where I'd apply either label to Clooney.

>> I'd rather see someone torn apart by an Alien, but then that's me.

I am very much looking forward to Ridley Scott's (Alien-related) Prometheus. Looks tremendous.

tgir
Site Admin

February 28th, 2012, 4:35 am #223

I thought that the Oceans films were fun for what they were.

I just found out abut Prometheus. It sounds tremendous! I saw the first 3 Aliens films in the theaters, including the first and we were really poor back then. But I dug some coins out of the sofa and got enough for a ticket. I never could get anyone to go with me in the theater, but kids and hubby all ended up liking the first 2 a lot (Aliens (2) was my favorite, actually.) so I am super psyched about the new one coming out.

And---just found out that my local movie theater is having a midnight showing of The Hunger Games on 3/23. I had conveniently already taken the 23rd off, so may wait in line to see the flick, depending on weather, line, etc. Couldn't get any of the kids to agree to see it with me.

Dax
Site Admin

February 28th, 2012, 6:22 am #224

Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979) is one of my favorite horror movies.

Aliens (James Cameron, 1986) is one of my favorite action movies.

Alien 3 (David Fincher, 1992, with the number raised to look like 'cubed' or 'to the third power') is so-so... interesting enough imagery and story once it gets going, but I hate-hate-hated where it began, negating the end of the one before it... Ripley and Newt spend the last act of the film trying to get to an escape pod - they make it (not without many, many deadly obstacles in their way, of course - this is not an easy task) ... they survive. They... are... SAFE. Next movie starts - Nope, surprise, there was a thing on board, and now THE LITTLE GIRL IS DEAD. PASS THE FUCKING POPCORN AND ENJOY THE REST OF THE SHOW. That's cheating. They ought not to have done that.

Alien Resurrection (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 1997) was 'okay'. Joss Whedon wrote the script, but he isn't at all happy with how it turned out. Fine set-up for a '5' that never came about. Two Aliens Vs. Predator movies (2004, 2007) were pretty crappy.

Prometheus (Ridley Scott, 2012) looks super. Can't wait.
Last edited by Dax on February 28th, 2012, 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

February 28th, 2012, 6:51 pm #225

Havent seen any of the nominated films but planning on watching The Help this weekend. I didnt really care much about who won since I havent seen any of them but I did enjoy having Billy Crystal back as host. Yeah he was pretty safe but it felt like the Oscars to me which it hasnt for the past few years.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 28th, 2012, 8:50 pm #226

The Help is the only one I have seen. it is very good but bring a hankie.

I loved the first two Alien movies, they are my all time faves along with Blade Runner. The third, I agree, bad, and the ones with the Predator sucked. Who will star in the new one?
Last edited by Krystal on February 28th, 2012, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 28th, 2012, 10:30 pm #227

Have to say a lot of these Hollywood women are carrying skinny to an extreme.

Dax
Site Admin

February 28th, 2012, 11:48 pm #228

Prometheus - Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Patrick Wilson, Guy Pearce...

Damon Lindelof (Lost) co-wrote the script. The advance teaser for this movie made me really excited.

It's NOT an Alien sequel... it's sort of a 'prequel', but they're purposely shy (or managing expectations) about labeling it as such. Big fans of the original will recognize stuff, but it's a standalone story...

Krystal
Site Admin

March 1st, 2012, 12:40 am #229

Rapace, yea!!!! Elba, yes, Theron even can do it. What outstanding casting.

tgir
Site Admin

March 6th, 2012, 5:46 pm #230

Rented Midnight in Paris---I must say that it is not my favorite Woody Allen picture. Owen Wilson did a decent Woody Allen impersonation, which really says it all.

Kathy Bates was terrific in her small role but nothing about her role was written to scream Gertrude Stein if they didn't call her Gertrude Stein. Notice I say how the role was written. To me, the historical literary and artistic characters were mostly charactertures rather than fully fleshed out characters. I almost think that was Allen's point, in a way, or one he was toying with. Wilson's character, Gill, had so romanticized the writers/painters of the 20's--I would like to think that Allen was trying to make a statement that the romanticising of the creative genius of this era didn't allow Gill (or us) to really understand them as people, but to see only the surface of icons.

Or it could have just been a mediocre film.

Rachel McAdams was fine in her role--I didn't see her 'acting' but I could easily imagine young Diane Keaton saying all of her lines. This is not the fault of Rachel McAdams but rather that Allen's voice or stock characters have not really evolved or changed for decades now. One note: Alison Pill was lovely as Zelda. I wanted to make note of that because so often in film she does not come across as being particularly lovely (or maybe it is just me) but as rather plain. But as Zelda, she was lovely and appealing and it was easy to see why men would be attracted to her.

BTW, I am actually a fan of Woody Allen films. Just not all of them, I guess. I wasn't in love with Mighty Aphrodite, for example. Loved Small Time Crooks and Crimes and Misdemeanors, two non-typical Allen films. Loved all the older classics, as well. I haven't seen every Allen film, but a good portion of them and like most of them. This one wasn't bad, it just wasn't good, to me.