Krystal
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 1:15 am #211

I've hardly seen any of them as usual. I think Clooney is a great actor, he gets some dumb roles sometimes but is capable of serious acting.

I'll watch some tonight, but not in for the long haul for sure. Just watch recaps in the AM.

I did see Sacha Cohen show up as the Dictator. The man is nuts, but he sure got attention!
Last edited by Krystal on February 27th, 2012, 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 2:42 am #212

I don't know... I'm behind, but I think the last 'dumb roles' Clooney took were Batman (which didn't HAVE to be terrible, though it was) and in Peacemaker, both in '97, but both understandable money grabs... I think 'Welcome to Collinwood' (2002) and the Ocean's trilogy are basically just 'fun hanging out with your friends' kind of things... I know a lot of people hated The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009), but I'm still thinking that I might like it, when I get around to it...

Pretty amazing post-ER career... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000123/ ... AND he always comes off as super-likable. I dig the Clooney.

blosslover
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 2:47 am #213

The Descendants hasn't gotten to the cheap theater where I live yet. So I haven't seen it, that and I don't go to the movies every weekend. :) Tgir what you wrote makes me want to see it, as your description made it sound great.

tgir
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 5:58 am #214

Dax, is Bret one of your friends?

Great that he won for best song.

Dax
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 7:20 am #215

Not a friend, but I'm a big fan (of Flight of the Conchords, and of the new songs in The Muppets, though I'd have nominated 'Life's A Happy Song' over 'Man or Muppet'...). Happy for his success (though it's very strange that only two songs were nominated, and that somehow does seem to make it a little less 'special'...).

Okay. Five for The Artist (haven't seen it, anxious to), five for Hugo (I loved it), two for The Iron Lady, one each for The Help, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Beginners, The Descendants, Midnight in Paris, The Muppets, Rango... none for nominated Pictures Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (haven't seen it, but I liked the book a lot), Moneyball, The Tree of Life, or War Horse.

Best-looking ladies tonight, imo - Ellie Kemper, Jessica Chastain, Milla Jovavich, Michelle Williams, Tina Fey, Cameron Diaz, Natalie Portman, Emma Stone, and Penelope Cruz.

Sacha Baron Cohen wasn't the only person that WANTED to dump ashes on Ryan Seacrest tonight, of course, just the only one that actually did.

Enjoyed Billy Crystal.

The Christopher Guest piece (focus group for Wizard of Oz) was funny.

Love Cirque Du Soleil.

Ben Stiller/Emma Stone and Will Ferrell/Zach Galifianakis were great. The Robert Downey/Gwyneth bit started well, but didn't sustain...

tgir
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 6:34 pm #216

I have to say that I am disappointed that Viola Davis didn't win. Of course, Iron Lady never played anywhere near me so I haven't seen it and to tell the truth, am not interested in seeing it, even for Meryl Streep. I like Meryl Streep very much and I am deeply conflicted about The Help as a film. I am not at all conflicted about the performances of any of the actors. Viola Davis was truly wonderful in that role. I would have liked to have seen her win.

Similarly, I haven't seen The Artist (won't be playing around here. Ever.) I thought Hugo was a better film than The Descendants, and among the best film nominees I saw, Hugo was my favorite. I still haven't seen Moneyball, Midnight in Paris, or The Tree of Life. Or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (hope to see it. Hasn't made it to my area. Read the book).

Aside from that, I'm ok, I think with the winners. I would have liked to see Clooney win simply to encourage him to appear in such roles.

Marg
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 9:31 pm #217

I have only seen two of the movies that were nominated for Best Picture: The Help and The Iron Lady. IMO, both were excellent films.

Both Viola Davis and Meryl Streep were brilliant in their roles, and each were equally deserving of the Best Actress award. The only other film I saw was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version)-- I didn't think the actress who played Lisbeth (her name escapes me at the moment) even deserved to be nominated. While I thought the American film was good, it fell far short of the Swedish production and was much too graphic -- didn't leave enough to the imagination.

I wasn't upset that Clooney didn't win -- but then haven't seen the movie as yet.

I haven't seen The Descendants, Hugo, The Artist, Midnight in Paris or The Tree of Life-- would like to see all of those. Don't care about Moneyball of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
Last edited by Marg on February 27th, 2012, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 9:37 pm #218

I found Hugo to be a very beautiful film, one of the best I have seen in a long time.

I always enjoy Clooney's performance but imo, his performance in The Descendants was his best, by far. I can't say that I think he should have won--I haven't seen enough of the other performances. But I really feel he deserved a nomination.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 10:15 pm #219

I really wanted Davis to win, but then The Help is the only one I have seen so far. I was disgusted witht the insipid dialog in many of the skits (sorry Dax, Stiller and Stone were the worst), I nearly barfed.
Cirque was fab, I have seen them many times and each time is amazing. (Really need to hit Vegas again one of these days). In any case, I never really like the show, Crystal was better than last year's fiasco but I would much prefer Jon Stewart as a host. (Maybe even Martha Stewart).

I was bummed Clooney didn't win. Someone would have to tie me up to watch The Artist.

I am anxious to ee Dragon Tattoo but I loved Rapace so well, I can't imagine Rooney winning me over.

Dax
Site Admin

February 27th, 2012, 11:03 pm #220

>> I would have liked to see Clooney win simply to encourage him to appear in such roles.

Well, I expect the nomination is probably enough... but he (wisely) said 'yes' to Alexander Payne without even needing to see a script...

>> I didn't think the actress who played Lisbeth (her name escapes me at the moment)

Rooney Mara. I thought she was great, and I liked the movie, but I haven't seen the Swedish version yet...

>> I found Hugo to be a very beautiful film, one of the best I have seen in a long time.

I was just enormously happy for hours after seeing it... really inspiring work.

Martha Stewart would not make a good Oscar host. Jon Stewart, sure.