Krystal
Site Admin

September 2nd, 2011, 4:54 am #151

"The Final Cut" a 2004 movie with Robin Williams, kind of Sci Fi. I liked it quite a bit. He was creepy as he can be. This is about memory retention, set in an unknown time frame. Gate, if you have not seen this one, I recc renting it.

Dax
Site Admin

September 2nd, 2011, 5:48 am #152

Ooh yeah, I saw that a few years ago... The Final Cut is a really good little sleeper...

Krystal
Site Admin

September 12th, 2011, 4:39 am #153

Devil's Teardrop, awful. From a Deaver book which was OK, but really bad dialog and second rate acting.

tgir
Site Admin

September 12th, 2011, 8:14 pm #154

Rented Rango which was ok. It was amusing to try to catch all the references to other movies.

Also saw Jane Eyre ( the 2011 version directed by Cary Fukanaga. I must say that I tremendously disliked the choices the director made in how the story was told. Told largely in flashbacks, if I had not read the book dozens of times when I was growing up, I would have been helplessly lost and would have ceased caring early into the film. In fact, this choice was so distracting that it ruined the film for me, enough that I cannot comment very much on the acting. No one wasn't good; Sally Hawkins was very good in the role of the detestable Aunt Reed. It goes without saying that Judi Denche was fabulous as Mrs. Fairfax. Also disappointed in the portions which were left out, although these were parts of the story commonly left out. However, the film include Jane's time with the Rivers family.

Disappointing because I found the choice to tell so much in flashback made the story incomprehensible to anyone who isn't already familiar with characters and plot. I had very high expectations and they were not met.

There's also a recent

Krystal
Site Admin

October 11th, 2011, 5:13 am #155

Rented Hannah, a kind of wierd action story about a kid raised in remote Norway to become a killer. She had been an experiment and they were going to kill her. In any case, kind of artsy and better than you'd think.

Krystal
Site Admin

October 24th, 2011, 5:23 am #156

Just saw Bridesmaids, and it was really funny. i usually hate chick flicks but glad we saw this one. Even hsb liked it. Great cast. Jon Hamm was good as the asshole too.
Last edited by Krystal on November 9th, 2011, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

October 26th, 2011, 4:46 am #157

After seeing Bridesmaids, Horrible Bosses was just OK. It was kind of stupid, the guys were portrayed as too sumb. I would have preferred someone dumpy and ugly to play Anniston's role, that would have been more believable. I'm afraid anyone who looked like her would not have to seduce her dweeby little dental assistant. The nitrous oxide use on every patient cracked me up however...

tgir
Site Admin

October 26th, 2011, 4:56 am #158

I really liked Bridesmaids, too. Melissa McCarthy darn near stole the whole thing. My biggest quibble was that they went so far out of their way to make Megan physically unattractive. I think more subtlety would have served the character even better.

Jon Hamm was really good as the selfish asshole.

Krystal
Site Admin

October 26th, 2011, 3:52 pm #159

She was great. I also realy don't like Rose Byrne much, but the also hit the nail with her Helen too.

tgir
Site Admin

November 7th, 2011, 4:51 pm #160

Saw Tower Heist yesterday with hubby. It was a really good time. Not art, definitely flawed in terms of logic, etc. but fun. A nice balance of cast, with each player nicely utilized.

Saw previews of The Avengers, which looked like it would be fun, if you enjoy the genre. I am pretty sure I will see it. Which makes me all the more anxious for the next Robert Downey Jr. piece to come out. Anybody know the release date of Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows?