Cheryl
Elite Members

July 17th, 2011, 3:18 am #101

Krystal wrote:Rented the fighter. I did not like it a lot even though I do think it was a very good movie with greeat acting. i guess i just hate boxing, and the family was so painfully low class that it was ruined for me. I was ready to murder the mother and brother by mid through it.
I thought that movie was a little overrated. Christian Bale's performance was amazing but other than that, I didn't think it all that special.

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

tgir
Site Admin

July 17th, 2011, 4:02 am #102

Yeah, I've kind of stayed away from The Fighter because I really don't like boxing at all. Just can't wrap my head around people paying to watch two guys (usually) try to inflict as much physical damage as possible on the other--or being desperate enough to need to make my living that way. In theory, I want to watch it. In reality: don't like boxing at all. Also don't care for smug little hipster gazillionaires who betray one another for money which is why I haven't seen the facebook movie.

I do want to see Lincoln Lawyer. It looks decently diverting and would be good to see MM in something other than a rom/com ---not that he isn't good in a rom/com but they are all the same damn movie.

KMI, are you getting pumped or dreading The Hunger Games? Jennifer Lawrence was very good in Winter's Bone but I'm not sure I would have picked her for Hunger Games. At least they'll make her brunette. Don't know the guys who are being cast as her friends/the male leads but the pix I have seen make them look far too pretty and just wrong. I hope they do this justice.

Dax
Site Admin

July 17th, 2011, 6:26 am #103

I don't like boxing, but I have liked quite a few boxing movies (Raging Bull, of course, is outstanding... Million Dollar Baby, and I'm kind of a sucker for the Rocky series...). I'll see The Fighter (and 2005's Cinderella Man) soon-ish.

Marg
Site Admin

July 17th, 2011, 3:15 pm #104

Although I do like watching many sports; boxing is not one of them. Actually, I detest it!! But did think Million Dollar Baby was an excellent movie.....however, it was about much, much more than just beating one's opponent to a pulp!!

I haven't seen The Fighter -- but may rent it one of these days!!
Last edited by Marg on July 17th, 2011, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

July 17th, 2011, 3:34 pm #105

I remember going to the movie theater to see Rocky (original edition) during a break between finals and found it very uplifting and enjoyable. At some point, I saw Rocky II and never watched another one.

I would like to see Million Dollar Baby--and The Fighter---but just thinking about it (knowing both films are about more than beating someone to a pulp) makes me cringe. Not that I am consistent: I liked Training Day very much ---but am not anxious to see it again.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 17th, 2011, 4:27 pm #106

Tgir, I don't actually know many of the youngsters starring in the Hunger Games. My traditional, knee jerk feelings of low expectations when a good book is filmed has been mollified by LOTR and Game of Thrones productions, so I hope. The big worry for me is how they deal with the violence and gore. If they are faithful to the books, it will be very adult and its prime reader demo should not see it.....but they will, in droves.

If this is even just "good" I predict Potter-like numbers.
Last edited by KMInfinity on July 17th, 2011, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

jbrr1212
Elite Members

July 17th, 2011, 5:12 pm #107

I hate boxing movies as well. I've never even seen Rocky all the way through (any of them). However I loved Million Dollar Baby, still debating whether or not to watch The Fighter, I'm sure I'll get around to it someday but its not high on my list.

tgir
Site Admin

July 17th, 2011, 5:38 pm #108

It's weird, isn't it, that we have far fewer problems letting young teens watch violence in film or video games but when it comes to sex? Just can't do that.

My big fear re: Hunger Games is that it will be too watered down or else gratuitously gory. If it is done as well as LOTR or Potter (would need far less CGI, I believe), it could be very good.

I haven't heard/read anything about The Hobbit in a long time. I remember stumbling across the book when I was about 12 or 13, picking it up from probably a drugstore book shelf and immediately getting lost. This was before LOTR became such a big thing amongst college kids (maybe younger: I was in college when it became a big deal in the 70's) and young adults. Of course, I moved into LOTR but probably was in high school simply because I didn't find them earlier.

I find I am very, very disappointed with the way they have taken films (loosely, ever so loosely) based upon Greek and Roman mythology into gorefests loaded with SFX of all kinds, making the sfx the story instead of well, the story. Makes the old claymation renditions fresh. Certainly, there was plenty of gore in the mythology but it could be done well without dwelling on that aspect, and make it more friendly to younger audiences/broader audiences. I ate that stuff up when I was in elementary school and from then on, for years and years. I read every single book of myths and legends from every single culture (admittedly, limited in my area) in my school's library. Not sure that those books exist in kids libraries any longer, or in school libraries. In my town, a group of 'concerned mothers' went to one elementary school library every single fall early Oct. and checked out every single Halloween book and then locked them in the trunk of their cars until after Halloween, so as to protect young minds from the satanic influences of Halloween.

Adventure aside, there are really good lessons to be learned from the telling of all kinds of old myths and legends, and fairy tales, as well.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 17th, 2011, 6:58 pm #109

tgir, here's a good Hobbit Movie site:

http://the-hobbit-movie.com/

There's a bit of spec and concern about Jackson's approach, but I trust him.

(From what I understand, his version will NOT be Bilbo-centric. The original novel was before LOTR, but later Tolkien wove its events into overall Middle Earth history. So, instead of the movie following the book exactly, telling the tale very closely from Bilbo's POV 'there and back again,' the movie will incorporate other scenes and characters alive in Middle Earth at the time, as early concern about the fate of the One Ring is simmering. Thus, characters such as Bloom's Legolas are already on board.

I am more excited about this than anything else ever.

eta - The news that Stephen Fry will be the Master of Laketown is just one of many freaking awesome Hobbitnews items.
Last edited by KMInfinity on July 17th, 2011, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

blosslover
Site Admin

July 17th, 2011, 8:30 pm #110

I have zero expectations when it comes to the Hunger Games becoming a movie. I read the books (on tgir's rec) and while the first two were better than the third I enjoyed them very much.