tgir
Site Admin

January 9th, 2011, 9:57 pm #11

Krystal wrote:No actually, I rather liked Hot Tub a lot better than most comedies. Did surprise me, I was prepared to hate it.
I must say, this shocks me, Krystal.

Definitely not art and definitely cruder than I would have liked, but kind of fun and silly. I confess I only watched it because I am a huge John Cusack fan, although he def. makes some stinkers.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 10th, 2011, 5:01 am #12

Lord, I cannot believe what we just watched, "Machete" with Danny Trejo, but a big star cast including DeNiro, Lohan, Don Johnson, Steven Segal and Jessica Alba. It is about as violent as you can get but also a black parody and quite hilarious. For instance Lohan runs around semi nude half the time but ends up gunning down people in a nun's habit.
I don't want to give away more except to say the movies isomewhat and sadly pertinent to the immigration battles today.

If you like black humor and don't mind decapitations it is not to be missed.

Dax
Site Admin

January 10th, 2011, 5:59 am #13

The fake trailer (in Grindhouse) was brilliant, and a real feature became inevitable...

Krystal
Site Admin

January 10th, 2011, 3:12 pm #14

Dax, and maybe Gate, I think you would love it.

tgir
Site Admin

January 10th, 2011, 8:53 pm #15

Just watched Winter's Bone, which had a small release. It was relatively faithful to the novel but with some changes: one of the younger brothers became a younger sister; there was far less of the friendship between Ree and her friend, a few more, but the mood/feeling was well captured, the casting was terrific, the acting was really very good, good music (but very specific to the region so my guess is that most would not like it).

I had asked for it for Christmas as it never played anywhere near me and I didn't think I would find it in the video store. The film won the Grand Jury Prize at the 2010 Sundance festival. Jennifer Lawrence, who plays Ree Dolly in the film received a great deal of recognition for her performance, justifiably, imo.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 10th, 2011, 9:15 pm #16

We rented it and I liked it a lot. I also thought it was well cast and well acted. Really depressing circumstances with that poor girl. I like to think she could get out when the kids got older.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 11th, 2011, 4:57 am #17

Just finsished "Case 39" a recent DVD release with Renee Zellwiger and Ian McShane. It was another "evil child" film, but way better than most. Very suspenseful. If you like that type of film, rent it for sure.

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

January 11th, 2011, 10:57 pm #18

Just saw 'All about Steve' with Sandra Bullock, Thomas Haden Church, & Bradley Cooper. I really wanted to like it but it was TERRIBLE.

I also got around to watching 'W'. I thought it was good and fascinating. I'm sure if you liked W the man you wouldn't care for the movie.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Krystal
Site Admin

January 12th, 2011, 12:55 am #19

She has had some real losers lately, other than the football one which frankly I thought was over rated. I don't like romantic comedy as I have mentioned but actually we had the Proposal on our list and i thought it sucked as well.

lexilou
Elite Members

January 12th, 2011, 2:07 am #20

Anyone see The Queen? I have that one coming next.