Maura West--signs new job

lexilani
Elite Members

August 5th, 2010, 5:07 pm #1

Not sure if you've all heard but it looks like Maura West is going to Y&R....to play Diane Jenkins. Wasn't Diane a brunette? And tall and thin? And not a very nice character...no one in Genoa City liked her much right? Wish they would have created a new role for her.

Daytime Confend.

Dax
Site Admin

August 5th, 2010, 5:59 pm #2

Happy for West.

A toss-up as to which would be better - a new character might not click, where a long-established one has a lot of background and history to draw from, and that's good, but recasts are tricky...

Usually, I prefer character returns (that make sense, and keep previous personality traits of the character intact) to new characters...

Is Teri Columbino-to-Y&R a maybe or a for-sure? I don't remember...
Last edited by Dax on August 5th, 2010, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bilki
Site Admin

August 5th, 2010, 9:52 pm #3

My understanding is that the casting of Teri Columbino was a rumor. Y&R was more interested in signing West, first.

Not sure what I think of West as Diane. She's so "Carly" to me. And to have her connected to another Jack. It will probably be one of those things where I tell myself it's Carly pretending to be Diane. Like when I was DAYS and thinking that Daniel's (Shawn Christian) name was really Mike.

lexilani
Elite Members

August 5th, 2010, 10:11 pm #4

Dax usually I would rather have a character return instead of a adding a new one. I think Maura/Carly is so far removed from my mind-set of how I remember Diane. On the other hand, I do think Maura is a good actress and I'm going to watch to see how she handles being Diane.

On the plus side.....I'm glad she got another job cuz I know there's not too many soap roles out there for our GL/ATWT actors.
I missed the rumors about Teri. It would be good to see her on there too...now that I'm going to start watching again for Maura.

Scorpioww
Elite Members

August 5th, 2010, 10:44 pm #5

I can see her as Diane. It will be weird hearing her day Jack.

amy
Elite Members

August 6th, 2010, 6:39 am #6

I think this just might be dynamite to watch! If Emily is gone, Jack will need something in his life, like his son. And MW could be magnificent to watch with PB! They are both fantastic actors. Y&Rhas been doing an a amazingly good job with recasts lately.

Scorpioww
Elite Members

August 6th, 2010, 2:38 pm #7

Right. Diane's return will usher Jacks son onto the canvas which should have happened long ago. plus Diane and Phyllis HATE each other. Imagine Maura West and Michelle Stafford in a catfight!?! Are you kidding me!! Maura may be a little young for the role but it can work. I see her playing Diane classier than Carly.

Marg
Site Admin

August 6th, 2010, 8:48 pm #8

I don't watch Y&R and have no plans to begin, but do think it's great that MW has landed another role so quickly.

She is a great actress....one of the best in daytime!!

Cheryl
Elite Members

August 7th, 2010, 4:21 am #9

Scorpioww wrote:Right. Diane's return will usher Jacks son onto the canvas which should have happened long ago. plus Diane and Phyllis HATE each other. Imagine Maura West and Michelle Stafford in a catfight!?! Are you kidding me!! Maura may be a little young for the role but it can work. I see her playing Diane classier than Carly.
This is AWESOME news!!! I plan on returning back to Y&R once ATWT is done so YAY!!!! Maura will do a fabulous job and yes, can't wait to see her and Michelle Stafford working together. They should be a hoot!

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

frienz

August 8th, 2010, 4:14 am #10

Congrats to her!! I'm sure she will enjoy the new challenge and will bring a great deal to the sceen. Since I started watching Y&R to make up for the loss of ATWT, I am even more glad that she landed a role there. So excited that I will still be able to watch her!

Would have been even better if they'd created a new role for her, but at least this way the character has connections, which make it easier to keep the character around for a longer period of time -- preferably indefinitely!