KMInfinity
Site Admin

May 13th, 2014, 1:54 am #91

Agree with tgir. Horrifying and weird. If this was an attempt at 'capturing' the 60's vibe it was epic fail imo. Too much of this episode seemed to come out from left field. I've read a few recaps and reviews and I disagree with most that the show is successfully integrating the 'antidisestablishmentarian' theme well. Maybe it's because our core characters were rather shallow to start with, we only see the shallowness and hollowness of the impact of the 60s on them.

The only story moment that really held my attention was when Harry clued Don into the Phillip Morris plot and how it would affect him, and how he handled that situation, making Lou and Cutler look nohow.

ETA I did notice the continuing 2001 motif, with Ginsberg lipreading/eavesdropping from 2001 Hal's perspective while Cutler and Lou plotted in the computer room just as Dullea and his fellow astronaut did.
Last edited by KMInfinity on May 13th, 2014, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

Dax
Site Admin

May 13th, 2014, 2:32 am #92

Anybody remember an early-90s GL character... detective Patrick Cutter? Never had much of a story... chemistry with Marcy Walker's Tangie, but she was still entangled with Josh, I think, so they never quite committed to a full romance between relative newbies... think he was eventually a murder victim of Brent/Marion...

Anyway. That actor, Scott Hoxby. Caught his name in the credits last night. Lee, the guy in the middle of the Commander Cigarettes trio of guys.
Last edited by Dax on May 13th, 2014, 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

bilki
Site Admin

May 13th, 2014, 3:42 am #93

Thanks, Dax! I knew he looked familiar but I would have never connected him with being Detective Cutter. Just too long ago. Cutter was a cool character. I remember being disappointed when Brent/Marion killed him. And, Nadine.

Dax
Site Admin

May 13th, 2014, 3:55 am #94

I liked him on GL (and remembered his name somehow... my brain is full of GL trivia that doesn't seem to fade much), but didn't recognize him, really, even after I went back over it, knowing it was him. I mean, he DID look familiar-ish, but I couldn't place him as Cutter...

bilki
Site Admin

May 13th, 2014, 4:06 am #95

I'm pretty terrible with names but for some reason my brain remembers a face, especially the eyes. So, when I saw him there last I knew I'd seen his face/eyes before (even with the aging process at work) but I didn't think I'd figure out where I knew him from. He has a distinctive facial structure, which is probably why I remember him. I should rewatch to see if his voice is still the same.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 13th, 2014, 4:16 am #96

Yes he looked familiar.

I liked the show a lot actually. Sally is the daughter Betty deserves. The poor little son is a nervous wreck.

Betty truly is worhless. She is a terrible mother, does nothing for her children.it's all about her.
Here she is being critical of the war protests but she would make sure her son never went if he was older.

I liked the episode. I thought they did a good job contrasting the East and West coast life style at the time.
Last edited by Krystal on May 13th, 2014, 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marg
Site Admin

May 13th, 2014, 5:24 pm #97

I didn't particularly like this episode.

Agree the nipple thing was just over the top. I have read some reviews and the reasoning behind this, but I just don't agree. Not sure why Ginsberg's mental breakdown had to be associated with Don's earlier drunken/drugged hallucinations.

If Megan was trying to convince Don to stay in CA, I think she failed with the three-some thing.

Yes, Betty is a terrible mother and I don't blame Sally for her actions toward her.. Sally is a spoiled brat, though. But on the flip side, Betty has been treated terribly first by Don and now by Henry.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 13th, 2014, 7:04 pm #98

I don't think Henry treats her badly. He accepted a woman with 3 kids, many men would not, and he treats them very well. Better many times then she does. He is reacting to her awful behavior, anyone who had to live with her would snap sooner or later.

The nipple thing didn't really faze me one way or another, but I guess they could have had him melt down in some other fashion that would have been less gross and more effective.

If Megan was trying to get Don to stay in LA she sure had a strange way of doing it.

Dax
Site Admin

May 13th, 2014, 7:07 pm #99

Less gross, sure.

More effective, I don't think so.

Peggy's reaction was gold.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 13th, 2014, 7:10 pm #100

Well, he could have attacked Peggy at home, he was making me very anxious. Really glad that did not happen.

What pisses me off the most is that there are only 2 left, and I am just getting back in to the story. Really. Pisses me off.