blosslover
Site Admin

May 6th, 2014, 5:26 am #71

Roger of course didn't just abandon his daughter for work and his affairs, but also gave up his son with Joan. Even though their child wasn't mentioned, that parallel went through my brain.

Dax
Site Admin

May 6th, 2014, 6:55 am #72

Didn't give him up, really... Joan has only invited him to play a tiny part in Kevin's life.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 6th, 2014, 3:44 pm #73

Most men at that time worked a lot, if they were "successful" and had very little to do with child raising, even if they were a mill worker. Daughter and ex really enjoyed the perks of having a rich hsb/dad. The daughter leaving her child to be a hippie is not the same. She needed to decide to be an earth child prior to having children.

Joan has indeed not let Roger take a larger place in her boy's life.
Last edited by Krystal on May 6th, 2014, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

May 6th, 2014, 5:10 pm #74

Roger and his wife were definitely far from ideal parents but were not out of the norm for their day and for their status. I would guess quite a few other well to do families today have a similar hands off style of parenting. And of course, there are the helicopter parents, as a counter point.

Unfortunately, most of the time we don't see the mistakes we are making until they grow up.

Still, Roger's big contribution to his daughter has been money, and she's been quite happy to avail herself of buckets of that and even to use the continuing buckets as blackmail. Mona's holing up in the bathroom with a bottle of gin is probably worse. I would argue that what the daughter is doing is far, far worse as she knows very good and well how bad it is to be or to feel abandoned by your parents and she's willfully doing it to her own kid--to punish her parents.

Dax
Site Admin

May 6th, 2014, 6:50 pm #75

Krystal
Site Admin

May 6th, 2014, 6:52 pm #76

ITA. Hopefully she will figure it out.

tgir
Site Admin

May 6th, 2014, 7:13 pm #77

Dax wrote:Didn't give him up, really... Joan has only invited him to play a tiny part in Kevin's life.
Yes, but Roger didn't jump in and offer to marry Joan, either. She was in a bit of a predicament: pass the baby off as her husband's or go it completely on her own which would have been a bigger deal re: baby, if he were 'illegitimate' in those days.

If Roger had at any point told Joan he wanted to marry her, I think it would have been entirely different. Always made me sad. I like him with Mona and Roger/Joan. Without a strong woman, he's really a bit of a drifting mess.

I also didn't catch The Shining references, but I haven't seen it since I saw it during its first run in the theaters...

Marg
Site Admin

May 6th, 2014, 7:45 pm #78

I have not see The Shining so wouldn't pick up on the references to that.

I'm not sure I felt sorry for Roger, considering his own behavior towards his daughter. But there is much sadness there, for both of them. I did have to laugh when he fell in the mud trying to drag his daughter away.

Good for Freddy being there to rescue Don.

Peggy's bitterness is definitely coming through this season. I do understand her attitude towards Don as despite her efforts to work hard and sacrifice for the agency in the past, he did treat her poorly.

Last edited by Marg on May 6th, 2014, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 7th, 2014, 3:45 am #79

Loved the reference to the Guiding Light..

KMInfinity
Site Admin

May 7th, 2014, 10:10 am #80

oh yeah! Forgot that.
iii
iii
iii