Dax
Site Admin

May 15th, 2015, 9:29 pm #301

Matthew Weiner wrote for The Sopranos (his last script was the fourth-to-last, wherein Christopher died), but was not the man in charge. That's David Chase that created the show and wrote and directed the finale by himself.

Obviously, Weiner will not end his series with Don and his family sitting in a diner, eating onion rings, listening to Journey, and a smash cut to black.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 16th, 2015, 12:13 am #302

Obviously not, but if everything is just upended and no complete sl I'll be just as pissed.

Dax
Site Admin

May 16th, 2015, 12:34 am #303

There will be closure.

But it's not like there are any huge unanswered questions NOW... The company is gone. Roger, Peggy, Ted, and others (Harry, Stan, secretaries) are at McCann. Joan and Don are not, and Pete is leaving. Betty is dying.

What's next for Dick and his kids, is the biggie.

And I'd say there has to be more for Peggy, the show's female lead, and the Don/Peggy relationship, because the last we saw of them together was, I think, Peggy storming out of that 'evaluation' because she thought Don wasn't taking her/it seriously... really don't think they're going to leave that there and not revisit.
Last edited by Dax on May 16th, 2015, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

May 16th, 2015, 8:35 pm #304

http://deadline.com/2015/05/mad-men-joh ... 201427887/

Jon Hamm was 'oh, that guy' on The Unit and What About Brian...

Elisabeth Moss was Zoey Bartlet and a great bitch on Invasion.

Christina Hendricks was in a couple of the best Firefly episodes.

Vincent Kartheiser was Angel and Darla's very cleverly SORASed son.

John Slattery was great on Ed...

But from now on, they'll forever first be 'from Mad Men'... man, what a perfect cast...
Last edited by Dax on May 16th, 2015, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 16th, 2015, 9:28 pm #305

It is a great cast for sure. I don't recall Moss in Invasion and I liked the show a lot. I do recall seeing her here and there (I think)...

Krystal
Site Admin

May 16th, 2015, 9:38 pm #306

I think the best shows have featured actors who in the past have not been famous. Cranston was well known but for something altogether different. I did not know of him at all as I never watch shows like the Middle. He looked somewhat familiar to me in the beginning, but it was months before someone pointed out to me that he was on the Middle. The work was 180 different, and I give Gilligan kudos for choosing him. I never saw Aaron Paul before either. Many of the lesser characters, I had seen repeatedly in small roles (Gus, Hank, Mike, Saul), but never thought that much about them as they were never given the opportunity to shine in those smaller roles.

Deadwood was similar, Olyphant was new to me (and at his best), but Molly Parker was in the show as well, and Ian McShane who I am surprised has not done more work since.

Dax
Site Admin

May 16th, 2015, 10:47 pm #307

Moss on Invasion... Christina... only 5 episodes, but she was really good... got pregnant... here's a couple clips - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMynGpnD3JU

Cranston - Malcolm in the Middle, not The Middle... yeah, it was very fortunate that Cranston and Gilligan met on one of VG's X-Files episodes...

I knew Paul a wee bit from Big Love, but (while everybody on that show was generally really good) the role wasn't anything to prepare us for how awesome he was...

Giancarlo Esposito was always Buggin' Out from Do the Right Thing to me, until Gus...

Jonathan Banks (Mike) was a favorite on Wiseguy, a show that was a major influence on many great things to come, and what launched Kevin Spacey's career...

I was very familiar with Bob Odenkirk's comedy career. Prior to Saul, he had a recurring 'acting-not-just-comedy' role on The Larry Sanders Show, but sure, still nothing on the same level as he's got now...

I agree with you that it's often an advantage for a show to have an un-or-lesser-known cast over a bunch of people that are already stars... makes us easier to invest in the characters when we don't have a huge familiarity with the actors playing them...

blosslover
Site Admin

May 17th, 2015, 9:12 pm #308

John Slattery was from Homefront the show on ABC that introduced the world to Kyle Chandler. It was in the early 90s and Slattery already was grey.

Cranston was from Seinfeld. Giancarlo Esposito was in New York Undercover, but also on GL back in 1982. There are clips, I feel like I've always known him, but that's because he was on Sesame Street.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 18th, 2015, 2:20 am #309

I think Esposito was in Oz

Dax
Site Admin

May 18th, 2015, 2:50 am #310

Surprisingly not (because it sometimes feels like nearly every guy was), but he was on a season of Tom (Oz producer) Fontana's other show, Homicide: Life on the Street...