bilki
Site Admin

May 27th, 2014, 5:07 am #131

So pleased about Don and Peggy making up. Their dance last week still makes me smile.

Does anyone remember if we were told the sex of Peggy's child? I can't remember if she even knew. Her scene with Julio was pretty great, especially when he lamented that his mother didn't love him, as I imagine that's something Peggy has wrestled with.

Bert's song and dance to Don was strange for this show. But, by the end I took it as Bert sharing a bit of wisdom to a man who continues to wrestle with his demons.

I liked Peggy's comment about they'd have to wait for a year to make that pitch if those guys didn't land safely on the moon. I wonder how many other things felt like they were in a state of limbo until Apollo 11 landed the moon's surface.

Dax
Site Admin

May 27th, 2014, 5:27 am #132

Peggy had a boy.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 28th, 2014, 7:34 pm #134

I just caught up to the last 2 last night. I thought they were both pretty good. I liked the way they tied the moon landing into the story. Of course there was the big "space race" and that was for nothing. No one went anywhere after that, too busy starting wars with one another on earth to explore space. As a kid, I thought we'd have colonies on the moon and maybe Mars by now, nut it seems keeping the US in fossil fuels and invading the Middle East are priorities instead.

I think they are showing Peggy's frustrations very well. She has chosen a career, but the men make it hard for her and don't appreciate her work "That is the best work a woman can do" not the "best work" comment by Lou. Also a woman 30 years old at the time felt her bio clock was running low. There were no fertility treatments, no tests, and women feared having a disabled child if they waited too long.

Of course the guys are all fucked up for different reasons!

I love that she and Don are making peace, and the buy-out seemed right. The musical number was bizarre, but didn't Don see dead people early on in the series???
Last edited by Krystal on May 28th, 2014, 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bilki
Site Admin

May 28th, 2014, 9:52 pm #135

Krystal wrote:but didn't Don see dead people early on in the series???
My memory is foggy but I think he saw his brother, Adam, after he committed suicide.

Dax
Site Admin

May 28th, 2014, 11:13 pm #136

Yeah, Don's seen his brother, father... other ghosts, I think (not drug-or-alcohol-induced). Weiner gives a few examples in a couple of the interviews. Also very satisfyingly answers (to me) the why-is-Joan-so-against-Don question that so many had, but probably would not have had if they'd been viewing 6 and 7a back-to-back, instead of a year apart...

Krystal
Site Admin

May 28th, 2014, 11:23 pm #137

Yes, it is hard to get these sl straight when there is so much time between them. And like I said, I got re-hooked now I am pissed.

I think Joan lost some weight. I hope she doesn't get too thin, she is the poster girl for us full figured gals :)

Dax
Site Admin

May 31st, 2014, 4:09 am #138

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/ ... ey-kubrick

Mad Men finale... Camera panning across a room we haven't seen before, revealing that the scene is set in 1983 as a couple kids we haven't seen before are sitting on a couch listening to Don as he's narrating what appears to have been a long story... Camera goes to him, and we see third Draper wife Peggy sitting on his lap, giving him a big kiss. Don concludes his story with '... and THAT'S how I met your mother'.

(It's Weiner honoring his CBS sitcom roots, since he used to write for Becker...)

(No, I don't want Don and Peggy to get together. I'm just fooling around...)

Marg
Site Admin

June 1st, 2014, 4:53 pm #139

I certainly don't want Peggy and Don to end up married!!

Dax
Site Admin

June 5th, 2014, 3:49 am #140