Dax
Site Admin

May 26th, 2014, 7:05 am #111

Very cool midseason finale.

Poor Harry.

Ted cutting off the engine of the plane on the Sunkist guys... Pete's shout of "And the clients wanna live, too, Ted!"... big laughs.

Marg
Site Admin

May 26th, 2014, 1:26 pm #112

I thought this was a very good episode to end this mid-season finale, except for the final scene which was strange.

I like that Peggy/Don are working together again. I was surprised that Joan continues to be hostile towards Don.

Not surprised that Megan/Don are separating -- saw that one coming!!
Last edited by Marg on May 26th, 2014, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

May 26th, 2014, 3:01 pm #113

It was a good ending point but I still protest the split season.

Peggy/Don as a team is very good for both. Also not surprised that Megan/Don are separating. With Betty's statement that she now just thinks of Don as a bad ex-boyfriend: I wonder if Don/Betty won't end up back together. Poor Sally, for whom I usually have so little sympathy. Unable to have her own opinions but adapting those of whatever MALE she's around but only so long as they are in physical proximity.

Roger/Joan: good, and good that she has her own separate priorities. I was glad that they explicitly said why she was so angry with Don: he cost her money when he refused to take the company public. Now that she's getting a BIGGER payout, she should lay off that, though.

Surprised about Bert.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

May 26th, 2014, 3:54 pm #114

very good mini-finale, except...a whole year to wait? Bah humbug.

I was confused about a couple bits and will need to rewatch, but here's the bits:

-I get Megan has been hot and cold with Don, but lately seems desperate to hold on. I dislike that she's the one who ended it. It would have made sense earlier, but not in the midst of that phonecall. Did I miss something?

-I get that Don cost the agency oodles of money, but Roger said it all. Don is sought after by other agencies. So why is Cutler so anti-Don? Manage him, don't eliminate him.

I adored the scene of Peggy and her neighbor boy. Just as I was thinking...how cool she is building a community outside of work. BAM. Off to Jersey.

I also loved the Burger Chef stuff.

I still think Don's first family could have fallen into the sea and I wouldn't miss them.

Hamm is brilliant at suppressed rage and controlled emotion. The way he stopped Cutler's attack with the impromptu meeting and vote was cool. And then his support of Roger for the buyout. I predict this becomes a mistake they need to undo in the end.

The very weird ending makes me think Don is not yet out of the clear. (Obvs. since there's seven episodes remaining) He seems to be back on track, and seems to have reclaimed his soul/work balance, but that bit of looney tunes with Bert suggests he's lost his marbles.

The material in 7.6 was great too.

So how does it all end? With closure? or In medias res? Tragically? Optimistically? For some or all?
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

May 26th, 2014, 4:28 pm #115

>> a whole year to wait?

Should be 7 (or 8? 9?) less weeks than that...

>> I get Megan has been hot and cold with Don, but lately seems desperate to hold on. I dislike that she's the one who ended it. It would have made sense earlier, but not in the midst of that phonecall. Did I miss something?

Picking up more of her things on her last trip in 6 was telling... it was just what she was saying about the job and 'fighting so hard'... I don't think it was on her mind to do it right then... just happened. Don has seemed resigned for awhile that it WOULD happen, but seemed pretty determined to not be the one that calls it...

>> I get that Don cost the agency oodles of money, but Roger said it all. Don is sought after by other agencies. So why is Cutler so anti-Don? Manage him, don't eliminate him.

Well, for story purposes, Jim's 'the bad guy', but from his POV... no, I liked his 'unimpressed' speech. Since joining forces, he's never seen Don be 'Don'. I can see why he'd think they'd be better off without him.

>> I still think Don's first family could have fallen into the sea and I wouldn't miss them.

I appreciate the check-ins. Often less interesting, sure, but they don't eat up THAT much time. The focus IS Sally - not Betty - and Sally is still rightfully a huge part of Don's story.

>> I predict this becomes a mistake they need to undo in the end.

I don't think so. With seven hours left, I think this was our third (fourth if you count the Brits buying them) big agency shake-up, and they're not gonna go there again. Of course, with the family Burger Chef ending last week, it did FEEL like they might do a Don/Pete/Peggy new firm, but... nope, this instead.

>> The very weird ending makes me think Don is not yet out of the clear. (Obvs. since there's seven episodes remaining) He seems to be back on track, and seems to have reclaimed his soul/work balance, but that bit of looney tunes with Bert suggests he's lost his marbles.

Just Bert and Don saying goodbye to each other. Nothing ominous or 'big' there, except maybe the message that the best things in life are free (coming right after a big business/money coup).

>> So how does it all end? With closure?

Some, I'm sure.

>> In medias res?

More of that.

>> Tragically?

There's still worry for Roger's daughter (and Ginsberg?), but I don't think there will be another major death, like Bert's here...

>> Optimistically? For some or all?

For Don and Peggy, yeah... think so.

Five more months to go in the 60s. But do we get to peek ahead? Will we get a glimpse of the 80s? Or... the present day?
Last edited by Dax on May 26th, 2014, 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tgir
Site Admin

May 26th, 2014, 4:59 pm #116

RE: Cuttler vs Don: I think it is rivalry/jealousy. Cuttler is used to being the handsome, charming one and Don is just better at that. Not even a contest. Perhaps I'm just flashing back to Harry Hamlin's Sexiest Man Alive award in 1987. But Hamlin is 20 years older than Jon Hamm. Cutler represents the past era far more than Don, who is hitting his middle years on the cusp of a great societal change. Don will make the transition, I think. He's shown that he can see into the future and is capable of recognizing and nurturing young talent. Cutler--has not, I think, not that I've seen. But he's not stupid. He has to see that Don will be the new king (until he isn't anymore of course). As far as 'managing' Don: can't be done and certainly cannot be done by any such as Cutler. As this half of the season has shown. Cutler is only able to set people up to fail. He's not able to actually do anything himself or to set things in motion for anyone's success except perhaps his own. And that is a losing game.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

May 26th, 2014, 5:17 pm #117

wrote:>> Tragically?

There's still worry for Roger's daughter (and Ginsberg?), but I don't think there will be another major death, like Bert's here...
so we don't think the Falling man in the credits is foreshadowing Don's fall/death...There was lots of spec last season that the show would end with Don's death or even suicide.

>>>>>RE: Cuttler vs Don:
Good analysis. I agree Cutler is jealous and clueless. I keep wondering though why I'm so poor if I can see that so many wealthy powerful people are so clueless. it seems so obvious that turning Don loose is a win, but Dax is right, he's never seen 'Don being Don.'

Last edited by KMInfinity on May 26th, 2014, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

Dax
Site Admin

May 26th, 2014, 5:17 pm #118

Well, Cutler is to Ted kinda the same way Roger is to Don (age range, their relationship)... and Ted IS talented and smart, generally speaking, not the joke that his depression has made him into recently...

It is fun to sometimes think of LA Law-era Hamlin while watching him now (here, or on Shameless). He's different, older, than I imagined he'd be... where Jimmy Smits - even playing radically different characters - is a lot more 'recognizable' to his younger years...

No, I've never subscribed to the Falling Man in the Credits Should Be Taken Literally thing. I mean, as a symbol of Don 'falling', sure... it's worked from the start. A lot of the series has been about Don falling and failing. But I don't think Mad Men ends with his suicide (or Pete's, or anyone else's... we had Lane. That card has been played. Ted turning the plane off and scaring the hell out of their clients... it's interesting that they'd find comedy in suicidal thoughts... but I don't see Ted taking his life, either).
Last edited by Dax on May 26th, 2014, 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tgir
Site Admin

May 26th, 2014, 5:29 pm #119

I think Hamlin on Mad Men is very much like Hamlin on LA Law. Yes in many respects Cutler/Ted is Roger/Don but my point stand: Cutler doesn't have half the talent or charisma that Don has. Ted is probably as talented but not as handsome or charismatic. I think Cutler was supposed to be that portion of the team. He isn't the charming Peter Pan that is Roger either. He's rigid, jealous and insecure. Don is more than Cutler/Ted all by himself. If cutler saw Don at his best, he'd only be more jealous.

Krystal
Site Admin

May 26th, 2014, 6:55 pm #120

I agree, Hamlin is just Hamlin only older. Smits has really broadened his range.

Don had the charisma for sure, faulted or not, he's the man.

I still am interested in Sally's development but both ex wives could fall off the earth and I wouldn't care.