pepsi

March 21st, 2008, 1:51 am #2

:fryingpan: How do they get the rating?

:oops: Forgive if this is a stupid question, but I do not know

Please someone tell me.

:ty:

Erik

March 21st, 2008, 7:15 am #3

It would stand to reason people don't get to see Olivia's human side, because basketball is on (Friday). At least the lower rating was on Thursday when Olivia was shown as a plot device to whew the audiance with the idea of a threesome.

They can count one less from now on anyways. I can't watch with what's to come and I don't think I'll be watching again this time. I'll complain, but in the end, I'm afraid that'll be miscontrued for watching. I guess an opressed minority needs to look like an opressed minority, just like a loud fan base needs to get their way in order to opress that minority (I'm not talking about the couple they'll lose either-the fact they'll lose that is chunk change compared to opression, which ironically might be what they might cry when the other couple gets together.).
I don't want to see,
Knowing I'll be blind once more-
Content...less than more

Liv's motive, their means-
Opprotunity skews that,
Something pulled by strings

Give just a little,
Receive much more in return-
Give and receive this

Deleted User
Deleted User

March 21st, 2008, 8:05 am #4

How the hell is an Olivia advertorial an answer to Pepsi's question about how ratings work?

blosslover
Site Admin

March 21st, 2008, 11:33 am #5

I'm not sure what Pepsi is asking, which is why I didn't attempt to answer. Is the question how does SON get their ratings information, or is it how do the Nielsen ratings work?

tanyia2

March 21st, 2008, 2:58 pm #6

Pepsi is asking how do they calculate the numbers to get the ratings.

Erik

March 21st, 2008, 6:59 pm #7

summanice wrote:How the hell is an Olivia advertorial an answer to Pepsi's question about how ratings work?
I didn't quote pepsi and I didn't even read pepsi's post anyways. My post had nothing to do with pepsi's.

How do the ratings work? Well, there's the viewers in number and then there's the number of households that actually watch the shows. Those two numbers are put together for the ratings. So, it is possible to have more viewers and be lower in the ratings.

Demographics play a big part too. More dollars go out to shows with better 18-34 and 18-49 ratings. Advertisers love the young people. Still, everybody does play a part.

I don't know how SON gets the numbers, but I imagine it comes from an inside source or maybe from a magazine (Do they have ratings?).
I don't want to see,
Knowing I'll be blind once more-
Content...less than more

Liv's motive, their means-
Opprotunity skews that,
Something pulled by strings

Give just a little,
Receive much more in return-
Give and receive this

blosslover
Site Admin

March 21st, 2008, 10:42 pm #8

Thanks tanyia2.

The Nielsen company asks people if they are willing to have their viewing information tracked. These families (now they also do some college campuses and a couple of other public places) are given a box called a People Meter that records what is watched in that household. For sweeps (Feb, May, November), the ratings are looked at as more important by the programs and define the rate the advertisers will have to pay to air commercials during a particular program. In those months, others outside the normal Nielsen families may get a journal to write down what they watched a certain week. Before the People Meters, everyone had the journals that they sent back to Nielsen to be tabulated.

I've never been a Nielsen ratings family, though I once did the radio equivalent which is called Arbitron.

You can subscribe to the Nielsen Ratings Report and have it e-mailed to you. Some people are lucky enough to know someone or work somewhere that pays to get this information. The information SON posts has the ratings (Live + same day) which means it is whomever watched a soap that day whether it was while the show was airing or on a DVR or VCR. SoapNet and on-line viewing is not factored into Nielsen.

pepsi

March 22nd, 2008, 12:53 am #9

Thanks blosslover, Erik and everyone.
I got confuse because was shown another rating chart
where G.L. was fourth.