Krystal
Site Admin

August 23rd, 2011, 8:10 pm #61

I totally forgot about her as well.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

August 23rd, 2011, 8:14 pm #62

LOL it seems we all tend to block her out. Interestingly though she has had quite a bit of success since leaving GL. I didnt really dislike her as much as the direction they took the character when she took over. She just wasnt Cassie.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

August 23rd, 2011, 8:31 pm #63

bilki wrote:Wiki says Karen and Jenny Wolek were spotlight characters in the early 80s. Strasser had been on for a couple years when Zimmer played Echo, so it's possible she was considered a lead by then. Maybe she was sleeping with another exec.
My first instinct was that it was Strasser but she mentions Strasser glowingly throughout the rest of the book so I dont think that was it. I highly doubt it was Slezak. I guess it could have been Judith Light. I just dug around wiki for a bit and couldnt find anything that gave me a clue. I guess we'll just chalk it up to a great mystery of daytime.
Last edited by jbrr1212 on August 23rd, 2011, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dax
Site Admin

August 25th, 2011, 12:52 am #64

I got my library copy of Zimmer's book today... hope to finish it fast, and have Mom read it, too, before it has to go back...

Krystal
Site Admin

August 25th, 2011, 5:01 am #65

It is a quick read, you won't have a problem.

jbrr1212
Elite Members

August 26th, 2011, 12:17 am #66

Michael Fairman interview with Zimmer about the book

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/guiding- ... 011/08/19/

bilki
Site Admin

August 26th, 2011, 3:22 pm #67

Thanks for that link, jbrr!

I chuckled over what The Zimmer said about Ellen Wheeler being a crier. I'd guess Wheeler climbed her way up the "ladder" by being emotionally manipulative. It sounded like KZ didn't become immune to EW's crying, which surprised me. A little disappointed Zimmer had high praise for Paul Rauch but I think I've read her praising him before.

tgir
Site Admin

August 30th, 2011, 8:47 pm #68

Haven't read all of the book yet, but here's what I think, so far:

It sounds like KZ and the kind of book she would write, but yes, I can tell she had a ghost. I can see and understand why the co-author would insist on some restraint although I am sure we'd all like to see KZ get really down and dirty.

She seemed to dance around a lot of controversy. She talks a lot about MZ and how he was treated regarding his illness and firing without coming out and calling tptb rat bastards. Restraint, I am sure with a mind towards avoiding potential law suits and I think the woman wants to work again. I see how that colors some of her writing.

I found it interesting to get the actor's perspective about what it was like to film party scenes or courtroom scenes. I hadn't realized how much work it was for everybody when there was a big party scene. Now I understand why they became so rare.

It was easy to see how some of what KZ praised was because it allowed her character to be featured more. I thought she did a great job acknowledging her husband and his contribution to their family and how they worked to strike a balance between their respective careers and family.

She managed to allude to controversy in several storylines without quite taking it on, except in the most PC way possible. I understand why she might do this, from a pragmatic standpoint.

I wish she hadn't blatantly asked people to contact her re: projects. That diminished her a bit in my eyes.

I would have loved to hear more about some of my favorite actors on the show over the years, but this was KZ's story, not GL's story, so I get it.

Re: gaining weight/menopause thing. Well, it's an unfortunate fact of life for many of us and KZ pretty well acknowledges that she's not fond of the exercise machines. I think she both soft pedals her use /over use of alcohol and is also frank about how much she needed it to get through GL's last days.

We had heard a bit about how bad the Peapack conditions were. This just drove it further home. Also nice that she acknowledged that it was fan's complaints that forced improvement for techniques used. And how most of the other actors had given up watching the show, in disgust and just looked at it as a paycheck the last few years. Somehow, I was sure most of them couldn't possibly be watching the show that was on the last few years.

And I was also touched that the last words were Always, uttered by half of an iconic couple. Love her or hate her, Reva was an icon, and always was what we wanted from GL which had been a constant in many of our lives for so long.

Dax
Site Admin

August 31st, 2011, 12:36 am #69

>> actor's perspective about what it was like to film party scenes or courtroom scenes. I hadn't realized how much work it was for everybody when there was a big party scene.

I thought this was pretty familiar ground - I've seen this said a lot by cast in SOD/SOW interviews, the Poll and Schemering books, etc...

>> I wish she hadn't blatantly asked people to contact her re: projects. That diminished her a bit in my eyes.

You're a bit further than me, I think (I'm only 100 pgs in), but I don't think I mind this. I wouldn't think it unfair to exploit her connections - like, I was also kinda wondering (as close as they seem to be) why Alec Baldwin hasn't been able to get her a good guest shot on 30 Rock...

>> And I was also touched that the last words were Always, uttered by half of an iconic couple.

Me, too.

>> Love her or hate her, Reva was an icon, and always was what we wanted from GL which had been a constant in many of our lives for so long.

Well said.

Reading the book is like reading a lengthy memorial of a huge chunk of my own life...
Last edited by Dax on August 31st, 2011, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

August 31st, 2011, 2:19 am #70

Boy I would love to read the first 100-150 pages she wrote all by herself, before the ghost got attached to the project. lol

I think, more than anything, I appreciate that she really did love Guiding Light like a fan. Yes it was a paycheck, but it really came across that she recognized GL's greatness and truly loved it...
iii
iii
iii