tgir
Site Admin

December 5th, 2011, 3:19 pm #91

Thanks, Dax. That really helps.

We took our oldest to see Song of the South when he was really small. I don't think either my husband or I had ever actually seen it and certainly not since we were tiny. I was shocked at the naive/white washed portrayal of slavery. Then I was shocked that it was playing in MD, where we lived at the time.

I bought the lp (anybody remember those: big, vinyl discs you could put on something called a record player, turn it on, watch it spin around and music would come out?) with a lot of Disney songs. My son was afraid of Zippity Doo Da, for some reason he couldn't explain at 2 years of age.

Dax
Site Admin

December 5th, 2011, 7:40 pm #92

I'm not saying that it shouldn't run without disclaimers, or some kind of contextual explanation... but to throw it away and 'hide' it... That's not right.

I remember vinyl.

blosslover
Site Admin

December 5th, 2011, 10:42 pm #93

When I got the Caballeros collection, I was shocked by its content and that it was still available. I agree I think with context some things are more forgivable.

My parents got me a record player as I broke two different cassette ones. For some reason, I never destroyed one of those, but I did wear out my Charlie Brown Christmas recording.

Dax
Site Admin

December 5th, 2011, 11:23 pm #94

There's a segment featuring Goofy smoking that's excluded from the Saludos Amigos that's on the Caballeros collection, but the newer 'Walt and El Grupo' (documentary) disc has the full original feature...

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 6th, 2011, 3:03 am #95

I still play vinyl - Mark has quite a collection and some stuff never we never duplicated in Cd format. Mark claims some stuff is better on vinyl, like the Stones.

I also have a huge collection of 45's, some in pristine condition from a radio DJ collection.

Never knew there was so much controversy with Fantasia. I pretty much dislike most of Disney on principle. :firemad:
Last edited by KMInfinity on December 6th, 2011, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
iii
iii
iii

jbrr1212
Elite Members

December 6th, 2011, 3:16 am #96

I hated Fantasia!

I remember my mom took all us kids (there were 7 of us) to see it at the theater. Halfway through 4 were sleeping and the rest of us were so bored we decided to get up and leave. To this day I've never attempted to watch it again. I typically enjoy Disney stuff but not that one.

tgir
Site Admin

December 6th, 2011, 3:23 pm #97

People who are really into music and have the ears for it (and perhaps the training, formal or self taught) can discern the differences between recordings on vinyl, cd, tape, and even MP3. I've never had the ears for it--too many ear infections as a kid. But vinyl recordings were produced for vinyl, and sound engineers balanced sounds and parts (I am sure I am flubbing the explanation--not my expertise) for how they would sound on that medium. When other media came along, recordings were 'remastered' to sound right on the new media. Some people can discern differences and can tell that something was lost or altered. I can't really, but admire people who have that ability.

Dax
Site Admin

December 6th, 2011, 8:22 pm #98

I generally don't have the ear for it, but there have been exceptions. I have preferred vinyl over cd in some cases, could tell the difference. There's a big jump in sound from a cd over a cassette...

I cannot discern differences between mp3s and FLAC recordings...

blosslover
Site Admin

December 6th, 2011, 10:36 pm #99

I can hear difference in vinyl versus cd and cassette. I can't tell the difference with files on the computer as I haven't heard enough to be able to pick up the signs.

Dax
Site Admin

March 19th, 2012, 1:46 am #100

Prometheus trailer... gah! Can't wait. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQgnnsqy ... r_embedded