KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 4th, 2011, 2:56 am #81

tgir wrote:Trailers for Hunger Games are out. Looks like it could be good. I really liked Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone. I am hoping the rest (cast, screenplay, production, all that stuff) lives up to what I think her performance will be.

Again, if you haven't read the books, I highly recommend and sincerely thank KMI again for the recommendation.
So looking forward to this one.
“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!” — The Doctor, S2E2

tgir
Site Admin

December 4th, 2011, 3:18 am #82

Dax, I was thinking about you specifically when I saw The Muppets and wanted to know what you think. I did love the cameos, especially and agree about everything. Was it perfect? Probably not but it really made me feel happy and very nostalgic, wishing there would be a revival of the Muppets TV show. It was such a gem. I really miss the old variety shows, with great guest appearances, musical guests, variety acts.

Dax
Site Admin

December 4th, 2011, 7:21 am #83

Would have liked to have seen a bit more character/story for more Muppets... only Kermit/Piggy/Fozzie got very much... fun tiny arc for Animal... but not enough Gonzo, and... would have been fun to see (while they were scrambling together to put together some acts) new installments of some of the classics, Pigs in Space, or Swedish Chef, or a Bunsen 'n Beaker... but I was still really happy with it, and yeah, hopeful that we'll be getting more now.

Got the soundtrack, had that in my car for a few days this week...

tgir
Site Admin

December 4th, 2011, 3:27 pm #84

Wow--the sound track is out already? That was fast. And I am incredibly out of touch: it was probably available before the film itself.

Yes, I would really have enjoyed more of: everything, really. But perhaps that's more a reflection of the quality of the original show, and also speaks to the wonderful work of Jason Segel in this latest. I'm quite grateful that he took on the project and completed it so well. The misses aren't misses at all so much as longings for more.

Dax
Site Admin

December 4th, 2011, 5:16 pm #85

>> the soundtrack is out already? That was fast. And I am incredibly out of touch: it was probably available before the film itself.

Yeah (they usually are). And I had it before I saw it, but didn't listen to it until after (special Amazon Black Friday deal - was only $7 when I got it)... good thing to have driving home from the theatre, though...

Segel really is a savior. Without his prompting, who knows how long it might have been before Disney found a way to properly exploit the Muppets property they've had for a long time... I love that when they came to him, wanted to be in business with him, asked what they could do together - there was just one thing he was interested in...

(Seasons 4 & 5 on dvd, now, please (and 90s Muppets Tonight!, too))

blosslover
Site Admin

December 5th, 2011, 12:55 am #86

Someone on a soap board said what happened to the Muppets reminded them to what happened with soaps. Did you see any correlation?

Saw Hugo today in 3D, interesting and very intellectual movie.

Dax
Site Admin

December 5th, 2011, 1:19 am #87

Not really, except maybe (sad Kermit voice) 'I guess everybody forgot about us.'

Very much looking forward to Hugo. Will trek to a theatre for that one this season...

tgir
Site Admin

December 5th, 2011, 4:46 am #88

Am also really looking forward to Hugo, when it gets to my area (not here yet). I live in a small city.

Dax, or anybody else:

My son wants a DVD of Fantasia, as authentic as possible. I know that aficionados object to the over dubbing of Deems Taylor's narration and others object to the edits to obscure what was certainly a racist (but not out of keeping with attitudes of the day) depiction of the centaurs. I don't think I've seen the more recent releases (1990 and 2000) so I can't say if I would notice it. I am almost sure he wouldn't really know the difference if no one told him.

Have you seen any of the versions? Any thoughts? I haven't been able to track down a more authentic version on DVD. I don't think VHS is really viable.

Dax
Site Admin

December 5th, 2011, 7:08 am #89

I have this edition - all the extras look great (of course, I haven't had time to really go through it thoroughly...) - http://www.amazon.com/Fantasia-Antholog ... 831&sr=1-8

Frustratingly, the newest release didn't stay in print very long... came out last November, and is ALREADY 'back in the vault'... http://www.amazon.com/Fantasia-2000-Spe ... 831&sr=1-1 or blu-ray http://www.amazon.com/Fantasia-2000-Fou ... 831&sr=1-2 - I'm sorry I didn't order one before they got scarce - I want that finally-released Dali Destino short, but don't want to pay the inflated prices, so I'll probably end up waiting 'til its next time around...

Yeah, trusting a seems-like-he-really-knows-what-he's-talking-about review on Amazon, all that's missing (and has been missing since 1969) is 15 seconds of material, those racist centaurs... I'm not offended that they're gone from the film now (but would have appreciated their inclusion as a bonus feature, for sure), it's not as egregious as cutting a whole segment from Make Mine Music (for cartoon gunplay) or the baffling continued treatment of Song of the South as this shameful part of Disney's history that couldn't even see release as part of the Walt Disney Treasures series (yet the characters are all part of Splash Mountain, and everybody still somehow knows Zip A Dee Doo Dah...).

blosslover
Site Admin

December 5th, 2011, 12:43 pm #90

I have the blu-ray release that came out last year, as I wanted the Dali short. Couldn't tell you what was cut from the original as I never saw a complete version.

With Song of the South, I've never even seen that movie. I only know Zip A Dee Doo Dah, because my Mom taught me the song as it was in a piano book.