Krystal
Site Admin

August 4th, 2011, 4:08 am #71

Cowboys got a good review in the Times, and said Craig pulled it off (but did not mention the fit of the jeans). I am so over Ford. It is on my list to see. Of course never going to the theater (other than Dragon Tatoo) I doubt I see if for awhile.

Dax
Site Admin

August 4th, 2011, 4:16 am #72

>> But Olivia Wilde is very beautiful.

I agree.

I think I've probably seen a bit more on the negative side than positive for Cowboys Vs. Aliens, but I expect I'll probably enjoy it...

>> I doubt I see if for awhile.

Ditto, that. I do hope to see Harry Potter 7.2 in the theatre, but I have to watch 7.1 on disc, first...

tgir
Site Admin

August 4th, 2011, 4:49 am #73

For Cowboys Vs Aliens, you really, really must go into it with the right attitude: the title of the film sets the mood you must embrace. Really, it acts like a conventional (emphasis on convention) cowboy movie: big, too influential rancher who likes to throw his weight around (Ford) and mysterious Man With No Name who can kick almost anyone's butt and has A Past. Only, they work together to take down (there was no doubt, right? so it's not a spoiler) an even bigger enemy.

I think Ebert was right that this would have been a better film if it hadn't been aliens, but some other Outside Force. Still, I think that injecting the alien element set the tone they wanted: just something to sit back and enjoy, allow yourself to make all the comparisons you want to the Clint Eastwood films, but without the weight of trying to make everybody not compare it to John Ford's westerns.

Eye candy, sure, but not so in your face as to turn off men. In fact, as probably expected, most of the audience was male (and college aged--but this is a college town). My own 20 something kids scoff at the idea of this movie and hubby went to humor me.

Dax
Site Admin

August 4th, 2011, 5:27 am #74

>> the title of the film sets the mood you must embrace.

Sure. 'Hot Tub Time Machine' or 'Snakes on a Plane'... you kinda know before viewing if you're the audience for it or not...

Jenni
Site Admin

August 5th, 2011, 12:17 am #75

Saw Harry Potter DH Part 2 and loved it! Of course there was the book loving part of me that hated the changes they had to make but I understand why they changed most of them. Overall though a wonderful end to the series.
[+] Spoiler
I would have liked to have seen Harry and Dumbledore's conversation after everything was through discussing the Hallows and what Harry was going to do with them, and then him fixing his wand.
Went with the family to see Captain America this week. Loved it, but we are a comic book hero loving family. I didn't know the story behind the character but really liked the movie. A girl waiting out in the lobby told us there was a secret if we watched after all of the credits so of course we stayed behind to watch. It was a trailer for "The Avengers" coming out next year. It's awesome how they're tying all of these movies together and I can't wait for it to come out. We now have to go watch "Thor" and whichever other ones are going to be included.

Dax
Site Admin

August 5th, 2011, 4:31 am #76

>> We now have to go watch "Thor" and whichever other ones are going to be included.

Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow (from Iron Man 2), Hulk (Mark Ruffalo replacing Edward Norton).

Krystal
Site Admin

August 5th, 2011, 4:41 am #77

NY Times listed Thor as the worst movie of the year so far.

tgir
Site Admin

November 14th, 2011, 10:48 pm #78

Trailers for Hunger Games are out. Looks like it could be good. I really liked Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone. I am hoping the rest (cast, screenplay, production, all that stuff) lives up to what I think her performance will be.

Again, if you haven't read the books, I highly recommend and sincerely thank KMI again for the recommendation.

Dax
Site Admin

November 30th, 2011, 3:58 am #79

The Muppets - I loved it. Smiled all the way through...

Sure, not EVERY joke landed, and I'd wished for a little more Neil Patrick Harris (his one line is very funny), or Kyle Gass to join Jack Black, and they'd sing... (tgir - I did like Amy Adams' songs, though...) -- but it felt great to see my favorite felt friends back on-screen. 'Life's A Happy Song' is a great new tune, now stuck in my head... That 'Am I A Man or a Muppet?' number was super-fun, too, and felt very FOTC-ish...

'Small Fry' (the Toy Story Treat) was marvelously funny, too. I'm in a good mood now.

blosslover
Site Admin

December 4th, 2011, 1:53 am #80

Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I saw Breaking Dawn Part 1 and Real Steel.

Breaking Dawn Part 1 ended abruptly and had some movie after the beginning of the rolling of the credits. There was more sex and romance in this one than violence.

Real Steel was at the second run theater. It was about an 11 year old boy in an alternative universe where instead of people boxing there were robots doing the fighting. Hugh Jackman plays the father of this boy who he let the mother raise. She died, and he looked after him over the summer, while his aunt and her husband (played by James Rebhorn) were in Europe. During this time, Hugh Jackman's character and the boy become friends and grow to love each other. Evangeline Lilly plays Hugh's love interest. I was surprised at how much I liked Real Steel, but then again Spielberg's name was on it so it was decent.

Also saw The Help at the second run a week earlier and that is worth the rental if you like period pieces.