tgir
Site Admin

June 11th, 2011, 4:37 am #61

Just saw Super8 which we really liked.

Off to bed as I have to get up in the morning for work (groan) but def. recommend. Again: not art but has some classic Steven Spielberg tells the story of kids........meet alien.

FWIW, I think it's worth seeing in a movie theater because it is the sort of film that does best on a bigger screen.

Not art, of course, but fun. Very impressed with all of the child actors. Film lets them be kids...

eta: It's a JJ Abrams film but I see Spielberg (producer) all over it.
Last edited by tgir on June 11th, 2011, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 11th, 2011, 1:30 pm #62

Thanks tgir. I'll catch this one.

A former student sent me a link to this movie, as she knows I teach a unit on the Holocaust.

Kristin Scott Thomas in Sarah's Key
iii
iii
iii

blosslover
Site Admin

July 3rd, 2011, 11:22 pm #63

Saw Super 8, two weeks ago due to tgir's recommendation. It was enjoyable for what it is. While it isn't cinema, it was fun and that's what is important. Last night went to see Cars 2, the first one was better and much deeper. This one was more about the humor. Cars that are lemons try to take over the world (like Yugos, Gremlins and Pacers)...

tgir
Site Admin

July 4th, 2011, 3:24 am #64

BL, I hope you were not disappointed in Super8. Not art but a good time and good for the kind of film it is.

Missed the first Cars film. Without little kids, we don't see as many of the pixar and other animated films as we might otherwise. We did go see Kung Fu Panda II, mostly because hubby had seen I with our daughter when it came out, so sentiment. OK for what it was but mostly forgettable.

Dax
Site Admin

July 4th, 2011, 7:24 am #65

Cars 2 is the first Pixar film (of 12) to disappoint me (story not as developed as any of the others are, and script - jokes weren't funny enough), but it still had a lot about it that I DID like...

But it is their first to not be a total home run for me. So that's semi-significant... kinda bound to happen EVENTUALLY... but it wasn't a complete disaster or anything, just... lesser than.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

July 6th, 2011, 6:05 pm #66

KMI, bit OT, but the Holocaust comment has caught my eye. Someone told me that US students are not taught about the Holocaust and the camps that they are not told they existed, is it true?

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

KMInfinity
Site Admin

July 6th, 2011, 9:33 pm #67

Wow.

I suppose that could be true in a random school here or there, (or in other regions of the country?)but most private or parochial (Catholic) schools include the Holocaust as a major focus in 8th grade. My unit is nine weeks long, and merged with the study of WWII, but I'd guess 70% focuses specifically on the Holocaust. PLUS, the lit teacher and the religion teacher combine with content in an interdisciplinary unit. In addition to historical content, students see the movies Life Is beautiful, Swing Kids, and Paper Clips; and read Daniel's Story, Anne Frank, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. It's a really big deal. They need to write a research paper in Lit, complete a project for me, and plan an action activity in religion.
iii
iii
iii

shelle_cr
Site Admin

July 7th, 2011, 9:39 am #68

Thanks. I'm glad that's not true.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

shelle_cr
Site Admin

July 7th, 2011, 3:38 pm #69

Harry Potter Premiere in London in few hours, there's a live feed from Trafalgar Square.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harr ... -live.html

tgir
Site Admin

August 4th, 2011, 3:50 am #70

Saw Harry Potter final chapter: good finish to the series. Others will do more justice to the film than I could, so I will leave it to them (shocked there hasn't been a lot of chatter about it here, honestly).

What I really wanted to post about was: Cowboys and Aliens!

I know, I know, I know. But two things: Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford.

Another thing: Daniel Craig in nice, fitted chaps, with a nice, tight shirt, and a really shrunken vest. Channeling Clint Eastwood in the Man with No Name films....

The whole aliens thing was pretty implausible, of course. Hardly needs mentioning. But: look past that and you get a pretty entertaining cowboy film, with Indians as allies. No surprises plot wise, but a pretty good time. If you go looking for more, you will be very disappointed.

OH: not enamored with Steven Spielberg's current viewpoint of aliens. These looked very, very, very much like the ones from Super8. Not sure if it's a world view thing or if they were just running a sale on that model. Sure, this version has a couple of cool new features but all in all: if you think it through as these aliens having the intelligence and technology to travel across the universe to go mining on Planet Earth, you would think they would have developed better social skills or a wardrobe. Just saying.

OH: did I mention that Daniel Craig wears tight jeans, fitted chaps, a tight shirt and vest? Harrison Ford does his semi-villain. Hubby didn't like Ford; I thought he was ok for the concept. Redemption a the end. OH: and there's a dog! And Adam Beach from Law and Order SVU--I always like him as an actor.

OH: and Daniel Craig in chaps. He has really, really blue eyes. And in this movie: he wears chaps.

P.S. Dax, very brief female nudity, waist up, from the back only. Sorry. But Olivia Wilde is very beautiful.
Last edited by tgir on August 4th, 2011, 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.