tgir
Site Admin

February 23rd, 2011, 6:04 am #51

Just came back from Unknown. It's not an art film, but succeeds as a thriller, understanding that you must suspend a good deal of disbelief. The driving skills and martial arts abilities are explained, plausibly within the context of the film. It's got some decent surprise moments, at least one killer car chase, and good acting for the roles. January Jones was good--she played the role just as it should have been played but she is very controlled in her roles. Here, it works. Neeson is good, of course and we get to see Aidan Quinn and Frank Langella, too. There are Hitchcock moments and it is easy to see that is the feel this film was reaching for. Hubby saw it as a cross between Taken and Bourne Identity and yes, there are elements of that, sure.

Hubby didn't like it so much as I did, but I went into it expecting a thriller. I have to say, I was gripping the edge of my seat during a couple of scenes. Would the plot fall apart under close scrutiny? Absolutely, but that's not why we go to see this kind of film. OK, so I went to see Liam Neeson (who didn't disappoint) but also to see a thriller/action flick. I wasn't expecting art or deep character development. I did get some adrenaline rushing through my veins. It worked for what I expected it to be. It's not something I would watch over and over again. But if I was with friends who hadn't seen it, I'd watch it again.
Last edited by tgir on February 23rd, 2011, 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 23rd, 2011, 3:32 pm #52

I'll see it cause I like Liam a lot, but then we wait to rent anyhow. I do get annoyed when they cast these older guys with young women like Jones though.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 26th, 2011, 4:54 am #53

Wow, a sleeper and outstanding. "Stone", De Niro and Edward Norton also Frances Conroy (6 ft under) as De Niro's wife. See this one, it is great with wonderul performances by all involved.
Last edited by Krystal on February 26th, 2011, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

June 4th, 2011, 3:36 am #54

Just a quick note to say we just came back from Kung Fu Panda 2 (2 D---we're techno retro and don't enjoy most 3 D). Somehow, I managed to never see Kung Fu Panda 1 but hubby says this is as good....

ALSO: forgot to say a few weeks back, we saw Cave of Forgotten Dreams, a Werner Herzog film, in 3 D---the 3D is a must. Wonderful and moving.

Krystal
Site Admin

June 4th, 2011, 4:23 pm #55

3D gives me migraines.

tgir
Site Admin

June 10th, 2011, 4:25 am #56

Was pissed at my husband so I went to the movies and saw Bridesmaids.

Go see it.

Really: you just need to go see it.

Warning: lots of gross humor and definitely not art. But pretty damn good.

blosslover
Site Admin

June 10th, 2011, 4:45 am #57

Sorry you were pissed at your husband tgir, though glad you enjoyed the movie.

Krystal
Site Admin

June 10th, 2011, 3:41 pm #58

I have read and heard many good things about Bridesmaids, even though I would usually avoid such movies, I'll see this one. Wiig looks very good as does the rest of the cast.
I particularly like Rose Byrne being cast as the stick up the ass one, and I love Maya Rudolph in general.
Last edited by Krystal on June 10th, 2011, 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

June 10th, 2011, 10:35 pm #59

I've heard good buzz abt Bridesmaids too. Not my kind of movie at all (esp. since I eloped) but if it's smart-funny....
iii
iii
iii

tgir
Site Admin

June 11th, 2011, 1:54 am #60

Don't let the title dissuade you: it's much less about being a bridesmaid or about a wedding or getting married, even than it is about being a woman and being a friend. Wiig is brilliant and smart and funny.

KMI, I also got married at the courthouse (and then went to work afterwards) and am not into big, over the top weddings. This is less about the wedding or the bridal portion of it than it is about showcasing relationships between women, including new vs old friends, with the stress of planning a wedding shining its bright, harsh light on all of the cracks and soft spots. Rose Byrne is really good as Helen, the Perfect Woman, who is married to an older, completely absent, very wealthy husband and has two adolescent step kids who detest her for unnamed reasons other than: she's Helen. Helen pretty much takes over the wedding.

It was smart and funny. Lots of crude humor which normally would make it not so much my kind of movie. But I did think it was a smart movie about women and their friendships and how our insecurities lead us into making some pretty stupid decisions. To be honest, there was some gross humor that is so not my thing. And I could sit and pick apart some bits of it quite a bit. But I thought Kristen Wiig did a brilliant job with her character. She's all of us, really, who feel insecure and settle for far less than we deserve--until at some point, maybe we decide we won't.

Also, if I am not mistaken, this was Jill Clayburg's last film (must have been close to it: she passed away Nov 2010. She was one of my very least favorite actresses, ever. In this film, she looked much older than her years and frankly, she looked like hell, but she was dying. I thought she did a good job with the role of Annie's (Wiig's) mother, a not particularly likeable, but very identifiable character (I so hope I am not like her, even a little bit.)

KMI, I also got married at the courthouse (and then went to work afterwards) and am not into big, over the top weddings. This is less about the wedding or the bridal portion of it than it is about showcasing relationships between women, including new vs old friends, with the stress of planning a wedding shining its bright, harsh light on all of the cracks and soft spots.

Rose Byrne is really good as Helen, the Perfect Woman, who is married to an older, completely absent, very wealthy husband and has two adolescent step kids who detest her for unnamed reasons other than: she's Helen. Helen pretty much takes over the wedding.

Also has Jon Hamm as Annie's creepy 'boyfriend'. Melissa McCarthy ( of Mike and Molly, which, btw, is really funny and Gilmore Girls) plays a friend of Maya Rudolph's character. I think her character was too much a caricature and I wish they had made some different choices about how to present Megan, but enjoyable none the less.

Last edited by tgir on June 11th, 2011, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.