Krystal
Site Admin

February 12th, 2011, 5:08 am #41

Some fairly big young names, Keira Knightley and Carrie Mulligan. But I think it was a (deservedly) major box office floppola). I just rented it due to the Blockbuster description as a "clone Sci fi movie".

tgir
Site Admin

February 12th, 2011, 5:02 pm #42

I saw Never Let Me Go at the theater, during it's limited release in the U.S.

Never Let Me Go is not a blockbuster kind of film. Rather, it is thoughtful and it is much more about exploring the relationship between individual and society, and between friends, between duty and personal choice. It asks more questions (or expects its audience to ask itself more questions) than it answers. Nothing gets blown up, there are no car chases, there is no explicit sex, no raucous laughs, no bathroom humor. It's a quieter sort of film and the sort that will leave much of the audience in tears. The film moved me to go out and get the book and read it immediately. The film is quite faithful to the book. If you are looking for an adrenaline rush, neither the book or the film is going to be right for you. If you want something that will make you think, without hitting you over the head with a message, you might enjoy the film and the book.

I thought that Harriet's escape was the brightest (as in happy) bit in the entire series.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 14th, 2011, 4:57 am #43

Just watched 'The Tillman Story", documentary about the Tillman cover up. Pretty depressing, but well done. I have a lot of admiration for that family.

shelle_cr
Site Admin

February 14th, 2011, 10:05 am #44

Never let me go is not a sci-fi and not about clones. It's a part of it, but not the main feauture of the book / film.

It was written by Kazuo Ishiguro, for Pete's sake. How could they, they should be fined for misleading the audience.

Tgir, I had left the book back in the CR when we were moving and they don't have it in our library as they barely have anything there. I'm waiting for someoen to bring me the book so I can read it. You should try The remains of the day from him, too. I loved it back then. Still haven't seen the film though.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Dax
Site Admin

February 14th, 2011, 3:12 pm #45

I haven't read The Remains of the Day, but I enjoyed the movie very much.

tgir
Site Admin

February 14th, 2011, 3:57 pm #46

I saw the film Remains of the Day back when it was first out on DVD (didn't make the theatre in my town. In fact, I only saw Never Let Me Go when I went to visit my daughter in THE BIG CITY). I am pretty sure hubby has Remains of the Day squirrelled around here somewhere.... I need to look. You are right: I am sure I would like it. Need to add it to my list...

shelle_cr
Site Admin

February 14th, 2011, 4:16 pm #47

Fun fact: Never let me go premiered in the US last year in September. When I saw it last Monday, it was an advanced screening before it premiered in all the cinemas :) and it looks liek it won't be in cinema in the Czech Rep at all.

The Princess and the Sailor - board dedicated to Carly & Bo from Days of our lives

Cheryl
Elite Members

February 14th, 2011, 9:49 pm #48

Krystal wrote:Just watched 'The Tillman Story", documentary about the Tillman cover up. Pretty depressing, but well done. I have a lot of admiration for that family.
Rosie was talking about that documentary the other day on her radio show. She agrees with you.....said it was really well done but soooo tragic. I would like to watch it myself.

I watched the Joan Rivers documentary the other day (Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work) and thought it was really good. She is a very complex, interesting, and yet sad lady.
Last edited by Cheryl on February 14th, 2011, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Krystal
Site Admin

February 15th, 2011, 5:02 am #49

It is well done, and very interesting about the cover up. When the family pushed for the truth they blamed it on them being atheists cause they just didn't accept theat their son was "with God and a hero".

Krystal
Site Admin

February 19th, 2011, 6:50 pm #50

Reading the NY Times reviews for new movies. Coming out now: Vanishing on 7th Street, they like it good horror flick they say with an R rating because"the end of the world tends to inspire smoking, alcohol, cursing and guns".

"Unknown" with Laim Neeson, who bonks his head and his wife "a too young and Wooden January Jones" does not remember him (maybe cause he's too old for her). In any case, although he is a botanist he suddenly comes up with Transporter like driving abilities and martial arts as well.

"I am Number Four", sci fi, they say "general twaddle, other than the ppearance of Timothy Olyphant whose htness is a sweet distraction".

OK, so they all go on my list to rent sometime whenever they are released...
Last edited by Krystal on February 19th, 2011, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.