Krystal
Site Admin

February 9th, 2011, 12:59 am #31

Well, now I am confused. How would you describe it?

You are welcome. I think we are all capable.

tgir
Site Admin

February 9th, 2011, 1:30 am #32

I find certain elements beyond the obvious (violence against women, violence in general) very disturbing, largely because I find all too often in entertainment, there are graphic depictions of violence against women. In the case of these books and these films, the violence is very graphic. And I cannot help but wonder not only why it is that there is such violence against women (and of course, even as horrible as what the book/film describe, it is nothing compared with what does happen ever day), but why is the motivation of the perpetrators never discussed (except as a mental illness, usually mommy's fault, of course) and why is it that a 'feminist' author writes about such violence in such detail without exploring why men do such things and why it is that we somehow find this acceptable as 'entertainment.' And describe ourselves as 'squeamish' if we don't wish to watch or read such things.

There is an absolute dearth of books and films which show strong, capable women who are not victims of violence of some kind, usually sexual violence or which feature women who are not whores or rape victims or who aren't murdered. In fact, if a film/book features a predominance of female characters it is almost universally relegated to that purgatory known as 'chick flick' or 'chick lit' and is usually a light romantic comedy.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 9th, 2011, 2:58 am #33

Why do we tolerate a lot of things, like 8 years of George Bush? Like global warming? Like sucking up to countries that would kill us and sending money to corrupt governments who do not allow anyone (men or women) to have basic human rights.

Topic beaten to death, I am gone.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 9th, 2011, 9:05 pm #34

Watched RED, thought is was kind of eh. Wanted less of Willis and more of the others. Of course Willis had to get the young chick. Better than the Expendables, but not by much.

Cheryl
Elite Members

February 10th, 2011, 9:27 pm #35

Krystal--I am almost done with the first book in the Larsson series. I know that Martin Vanger was the nutjob serial killer but still don't know what happened to Harriet. I wish I had more time to read so I could go faster and be caught up with you guys!

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!

Krystal
Site Admin

February 10th, 2011, 10:10 pm #36

I could not put any of the books down. The Vangers made me a little nuts in the beginning and was glad he had the diagram of the family. But I got so in to the series, I can't tell you when I loved one more. It was helpful to have read the books prior to seeing the movies, as usual, stuff was left out in the movie. But I have to say knowing the ending did not ruin the movies for me.

A very good friend of mine is a Swede, and I had done a lot of business with them in dentistry as the first good dental implants came from there (Nobelpharma), so all the reps were Swedes. I don't get to see them too often as they are international travelers based in San Diego now, but I very much enjoyed our dialog re the book when we saw them last. Interestingly, i had read the books first and recc them to him!

Krystal
Site Admin

February 11th, 2011, 5:02 am #37

For those of you who like Sci Fi, take a pass on "Never Let me go". I thought this thing might pick up but it did not. I think it was supposed to be profound, but I found it profoundly dull.

tgir
Site Admin

February 11th, 2011, 5:12 am #38

Never Let Me Go is not sci fi. It is speculative fiction which is different than sci fi which I really like, if it's good. I suppose Repo Men (which I haven't seen yet) would be a sci fi version of this, in a way. But Never Let Me Go is less about organ donation, cloning and the ethics involved than it is about how we, as a society, find it perfectly acceptable to use people all up, for our own needs. And duty and purpose in life and how one defines these for oneself --or that's my take.

I did find Never Let Me go to be very thought provoking. Then went out and bought the book which was even better. The adaptation was superb, the casting and performances were wonderful.

Krystal
Site Admin

February 11th, 2011, 3:38 pm #39

Blockbuster had it listed under Sci Fi so I expected a Sci Fi movie. Clones may be possible today but this was set in 1978. Many movies have been about clones, at least the clones had some personality. I didn't find it thought provioking as this subject has been better done (and less boringly) in many other movies.

Cheryl
Elite Members

February 12th, 2011, 3:42 am #40

I've never heard of that movie (Never Let Me Go). Who's in it???

BTW--just found out that Harriet is alive and well in Oz. I knew it!

HOT, HOT, HOT, SMOKIN' HOT!!!!