KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 16th, 2013, 11:04 pm #261

Well, that's not good. I love The Hobbit. I enjoyed the first movie. Oh well, I worried that a three book series was an accident waiting to happen.

>>>an homage to some video game directed at 14 year old boys who are too afraid to fantasize about girls so they fantasize about killing stuff.

Is there a video game? Crap.
iii
iii
iii

tgir
Site Admin

December 17th, 2013, 3:20 am #262

I don't know that there is or will be a video game. I just think that all of the orc killing/chasing stuff would have been better suited to a video game. I found it tedious and out of place.

But: everyone else I know (outside of my immediate family) is giving it great reviews. And they are not (chronologically) 14 year old boys.

Dax
Site Admin

December 17th, 2013, 3:37 am #263

Several of my facebook friends are thumbs down, too. Some very much so. Some are in the middle ('I like it, but it's not the book'...).

I'll probably see 1 soon (gave Mom the 3D blu-ray for her birthday, and we plan to watch it during my 2 week work break), but doubt I'll see 2 while it's in the theatre.

I don't know what I'll think, but I kinda doubt I'll be SO negative...

The passion of some of these reviews... I'm thinking when it's all over that Jackson's LOTR may be 'overrated' and his Hobbit maybe 'too enthusiastically hated'...

On LOTR, I was 'Okay, they're GOOD, but... this is not really my genre'. I respected-but-didn't-love them. I would get bored, a little... (I've only seen the first of the extended cuts... if I ever get around to re-watching the trilogy, I'll watch the extendeds of 2 & 3, but as of now, I've just seen their original edits...)

>> but where were all the songs from the original???

You mean the animated? I wouldn't have expected to hear those...
Last edited by Dax on December 17th, 2013, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tgir
Site Admin

December 17th, 2013, 6:20 am #264

In the book, Tolkien wrote songs for the book, with lyrics. He didn't write music at the time but there are accounts that he wrote music for one and worked in collaboration on others, back in the 60's, which I didn't actually know until I googled it. I first read the book years ago, when I was 12 or so and then later over the years and with my kids. There were lyrics to lots of songs in The Hobbit, which is something my kids particularly enjoyed. I would have expected some or at least one. Mostly, I have been disappointed that the sense of adventure and joy of The Hobbit has been completely beaten out and replaced with orcs. It was really a book for children (albeit not little kids), with a great sense of wonder about it. That's all been removed, imo, from the second. The first still had enough that I was excited to see more and have been looking forward to it all year. FWIW, my husband didn't hate it as much as I did.

I have always wanted to see it made well into a live action film and thought it should have been the first of Tolkien's works. I still think that if Jackson had made it early, before he became so enthralled with the money and the fandom and the CGI and fame, it could have been what it should have been: A rousing adventure story for older kids and adults who still remembered the joys of reading a good adventure that swept you up in its story.

This second one is so over-wrought there is no need to imagine a darn thing. It's fairly beaten out of you with endless orc heads rolling about. Horrid, horrid thing, altogether. And a real shame. The casting is very good.

FWIW, I like the Smaug scenes, although they deviate quite a bit from the book (and again, to the story's detriment. Bilbo's exchange with Smaug was very key and shouldn't have been so altered.) But, the best part of the whole thing, imo. By far.

KMInfinity
Site Admin

December 17th, 2013, 9:37 pm #265

I still love the LOTR movies. It's exactly what I wanted, and I rewatch them sometimes. I like their mythic quality, and the part that some people think 'drag' I find very moving and elegiac and powerful. The fighting at Helm's deep gets a little too intensely videogame violent, but the the other battles I find epic and well done.

I was not as 'wow' about the first Hobbit.
iii
iii
iii

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 18th, 2013, 2:32 pm #266

KMI, ditto on LOTR movies and the 1st Hobbit.

Planning on seeing the other Hobbit tomorrow hopefully. Our house will be out of electricity for the day (pre-warned by electric company) so hubby and I will be spending the day at the movies. ;)
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Dax
Site Admin

December 18th, 2013, 7:10 pm #267

Thor: The Dark World -- The first Thor was my least favorite of Marvel's 'Phase One'... and though I liked this one a bit better, this might end up being my least favorite of 'Phase Two' (Guardians of the Galaxy is gonna be the wild card... might be great, might be awful... it's going to be pretty different). I think my problem with Thor is that (like Superman) we have a hero that is SOOOOOO powerful that his obstacles and villains must be heightened SOOOOOOO much to match him. The stakes are very high, end-of-the-world-or-the-known-universe. It's not enough that Earth is endangered, it has to be nine worlds being plunged into eternal darkness. Motivation of the bad guys - they like the dark better, and they're very mean.

I tend to get bored in stories like that, and always did, even in all the comics I read when I was younger.

But there's some good humor, lots of pretty and ugly things to look at (directed by Alan Taylor, a favorite HBO guy), some good Thor/Loki moments. Mid-credits scene introducing Benicio Del Toro as The Collector (he'll be in Guardians of the Galaxy) was interesting.

Next one is Captain America: The Winter Soldier in April. Preview for it looks really good (though I really enjoyed his first, The First Avenger, for being set in the 40s... don't know if he'll be as much fun in the modern day...).
Last edited by Dax on December 18th, 2013, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krystal
Site Admin

December 24th, 2013, 10:06 pm #268

Has anyone seen Gravity yet?

Gatekeeper
Site Admin

December 24th, 2013, 11:33 pm #269

No yet I want to see it.
Last edited by Gatekeeper on June 27th, 2015, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hate the slayer ... Hate the Game.

Dax
Site Admin

January 22nd, 2014, 12:25 am #270

Saw two yesterday. Plan for the second was Gravity, but the first feature started late, and then I had to visit the bathroom... didn't want to walk into Gravity late, but I probably only missed it by a minute or two, so... grr. (The duration of ads/previews is way out of hand... a 6:50-scheduled film began at 7:14... 15 minutes, fine, that's normal, but 24? So my 6:15-wanted-to-see... I probably WOULD have been fine just a wee bit before 6:38, when I was 'free'...)

The Wolf of Wall Street -- Awesome. Many great scenes. Unpleasant characters that you're REALLY anxious to see receive their comeuppance...

Again, Matthew McConaughey (a small-but-pace-setting role, akin to Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross) kills it.

Fun contrast to DiCaprio's Gatsby performance.

Great script by Terrence Winter (Boardwalk Empire, Sopranos). Martin Scorsese liberally borrows from himself (it is very much a spiritual sequel to Goodfellas), but that didn't bother me at all...

-

Lone Survivor - Intense, harrowing, sad war film written and directed by Peter Berg. A lot of nifty make-up work by The Walking Dead guys. Good performances, though it's not particularly character-driven...

(Kept thinking of SNL's classic 'Mark Wahlberg Talks To Animals' sketch... early on, these four soldiers in Afghanistan are in hiding... and a herd of goats (and three people) come walking by... really suspenseful sequence, even if you know what's coming... but I kept picturing Mark say 'Hey, Goat. You're a goat. I'm a soldier. Say hello to your mother for me.')

It was good. Probably wouldn't have gotten around to seeing it for a long time, if not for happenstance... but I didn't hold it against it that it wasn't my first or second or third choice to see... but it's just so hard to motivate myself to get out and away from the cats for a few hours on a don't-have-to-work day... AND if I'm gonna pay $8, too, then I'm gonna try to see two...

Really wanna see Picture nominees Gravity, Her (I LOVE Spike Jonze, who acts in a great scene in Wolf of Wall Street...), and American Hustle (and I'll see last year's Silver Linings Playbook from David O. Russell and also starring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence here soon, probably first... have the dvd ready to watch...). Should make another movie-going trip in the next week or so.

(Happy memory... an early (maybe the first?) double-bill in my and Crystal's relationship... 1999... we saw Scorsese's underrated/overlooked Bringing Out The Dead (Nicolas Cage as a paramedic) and Jonze's brilliant first feature, Being John Malkovich... that was a good day)
Last edited by Dax on January 22nd, 2014, 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.